“Nice Outer Banks Nook”

Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Kill Devil Hill
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Excellent ocean front location limited rooms with ocean view though. Parking is limited. Needs more lighting in the bathroom, closet and table area. Lovely lobby with fireplace. Snacks available in the afternoon hours, coffee and tea all day, really nice touch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

1 Thank Lisa I
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us on the Outer Banks. We are happy that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope that you will be able to visit again another time. Please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay. Thanks so much, Tonia
Clayton, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 April 2014

First of all, let me say that overall, this is a nice hotel. Most hotels in the Outer Banks show the weather and this one is no exception, but it is generally is better condition than most in the area. This is why I am giving them 4 stars. If it was based on my own experience, I would give them less than one star.
Secondly, I will say that I was prepared to discuss mu issues at check out and not publicly on TripAdvisor, but the person at the counter during checkout did not ask about my stay. Had she asked how my stay was, I would had told her but apparently it wasn't that important to her.

My issue with this place was not with the hotel, it was with the room. We booked the room listed as two double beds. This Days Inn should be embarrassed to call the place they stuck us for three nights a room. It could more accurately be described as a couple of cots in the corner of the lobby. This room opens up directly to the lobby. There is a small entryway, but for some insane reason they do not have a door separating the entryway from the lobby. A door would have made a huge difference. When we first saw the room, I went out and asked for something else because I was concerned about noise from the lobby. Little did I know how much of an issue that would be. I must tell you, she said they were full, but offered us a room at an adjacent property. There were conditions (no Days Inn points and others) but we went and viewed the "cottage" that she offered. It was nice and had I known at that time how much of an issue the lobby entrance to our room would be I would have jumped on it. Instead I told her thanks, but we'll just stay where we are. I didnt want to take up a whole house for just two of us.

Now, back to the door/lobby/noise issue. We were out all day and didnt notice the bus load of middle-school aged students that arrived during the day. Apparently they had big plans the next day because the lobby started rocking at about 5:30AM. Every time someone walked through the lobby it sounded like a herd of elephants marching through the room. I tried drowning out the noise with the heat/fan, but unfortunately this room has one that the fan will not run continually while the heat is on. We chose heat over the fan because it was a cold couple of nights. When I finally couldnt take it any more, I decided to go out and get some coffee from the breakfast area. When I opened the door, I was unpleasantly surprised to see several people sitting on the lobby couch looking directly in to our room, with the angle they had, they had a direct view in to our room before I could react. It was the most blatant invasion of privacy I have ever experienced in a hotel. Once I realized this was the case, I learned to crack it open gently and sneak out with the door barely cracked. I asked at the front desk for a change but was told there were no other rooms. This went on all three nights we were there. I might have been able to get 3-4 hours of fragmented sleep each night. The noise was terrible. Every time a guest entered the lobby, or the desk person had a conversation it would wake us up.

This was probably the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I have stayed at plenty of lower cost chain hotels. We generally stay at hotels in this price range, so we were not expecting it to be extravagant, we just wanted some sleep and some privacy. It takes a lot for me to complain and I feel bad doing it, but I must warn future guests. I have never been angrier at a business than I was this one. When you book, be sure to demand that you are not in room 114. I would hate for you to spend this much money for such a lousy experience. This property should be ashamed to rent this room (or the other one in the same entryway). At a minimum, they should install a solid door to give some separation between the room door an the lobby.

I feel that we were cheated out of over $300 and will not make the same mistake again. As I stated, it's not a bad hotel, I might even consider staying there again but not unless I am assured that I am not assigned this room. Stay away from Room 114 and you will most likely enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Greg J
We appreciate your coming to the Outer Banks. I was actually the person who checked you in and when you asked about the noise issue with the room being off the lobby, I did mention we were sold out (as we had been for the past week) and that the other option was a cottage next door which is run by a separate company--it is not a part of the hotel and therefore not valid for rewards points.

You are correct that you were here while we had 2 school buses of middle schoolers here at the time. If we had been alerted to the fact that the noise was disturbing you, we would have been able to tell the chaperones so that they could have quieted the children down. We had a different guest call us and mention the noise was bothering them down the hallway and once we told the chaperones, the guest did not have that issue again with those children. They thanked the chaperone the next morning. I am very sorry that you did experience any issue with your stay and am very thankful that you would give us another chance to show you how good a stay can be with us. Thank you so much, Tonia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hil...
#8 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!