“Take the right side”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Southern Germany
“Take the right side”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

First of all you have to know that only the hotel corridors faces the beach directly. From the rooms you have a 90° angle to look at the sea. Secondly there are (at least) two room standards: 'superior' rooms with access by interior AND exterior corridors, the latter which can be used as porch/balcony, while the rooms on the other side of the interior corridor - where we stayed - only have windows. Ours was not to open. Therefore upon our arrival the room was smelly. After two days of permanent use of the air-condition the smell vanished. The room was for US-standards very narrow and two suitcases made the room barely walkable.

The breakfast room is tiny and at certain times you have to take your breakfast to the lobby for a place to sit. The breakfast is very continental and corresponds exactly to the hotel description.

The lobby has one seating area with a couple of upholstered chairs. The computer also available in the lobby only allowed to work while standing. The light was gloomy. This does not meet at least our understanding of coziness.

And in addition this was the by far most expensive hotel of our entire trip. In other beach and mountain resorts we got for less money by far more quality, even on the Outer Banks.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daydreamer58
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 14 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property during your stay. Please note that none of the larger chain hotels on the beach have windows which open...most of the smaller mom and pop motels do. As we are the longest, continuous-running hotel on the Outer Banks our standard rooms are of a smaller size---since when the rooms were originally built they did not build rooms to the size of today. The kitchen part of the suites section of the building was added later on, so that's why they are quite a bit bigger (this would be the right hand side of the building if facing the ocean).

The four rooms at the end of the building on the 2nd floor are the only "oceanview" rooms we feature (2 double beds), which is why people normally have to call at least 3 weeks in advance to book. They look directly at the ocean (straight out). The four rooms at the end of the building on the 1st floor with outdoor seating are our "dunefront" rooms with 1 king bed. These rooms are also a little bigger than our "standard" rooms in the hotel. The views from these rooms can be found in our photo tour on our main website.

We thank you for visiting North Carolina and the Outer Banks, and hope that you enjoyed your sightseeing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2010

recently stayed at the Day's Inn for one night prior to a week's house rental in Corolla. We wanted to beat the Saturday traffic onto the island so spent Friday night here. We had 2 efficiency rooms between 6 people. We didn't check in until approx 10:00 pm and drove 9 hours from Pennsylvania. We were all tired and hungry- and inquired about the convenience store across the street and anything else very close for take-out. Unfortunately they were closed- but the kind young man at the desk offered us breakfast food from the kitchen- cereal, milk, bananas, etc- he was very generous and accomodating- which I found to be a very nice welcoming. Rooms were clean, beds fine. Bring your own shampoo/ toiletries as they as skimpy here. 2nd door opened to porch area and it was a short walk to the beach. Breakfast was fine the next morning- the Belgian Waffle maker was a hit with all of us. We filled our bellies, packed our things and headed North without traffic or issue- mission accomplished! Overall a very positive experience- would stay again. Was not noisy as some people have stated- probably just depends on the crowd at the time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your response to your visit with us at the Days Inn Oceanfront. A lot of people this year seemed to do the same thing as you and came in early to beat traffic into Corolla for Saturday check in.

I am glad we were able to start your Outer Banks vacation on the right foot and am happy Zach was able to help out that night. If you return next year for a stay on the Outer Banks, we would be happy to have your family visit with us again!

Please feel free to contact us directly at the front desk and we would be happy to start your 2011 stay off on the right foot as well.....

Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 22 August 2010

The breakfast is very good. Second floor rooms on the poolside have a view of the ocean. You are right across from the Stop and Shop so you can grab deli sandwiches for lunch at the pool or the beach. The pool is clean and offers a deep end too. The bathroom in the hotel room was very clean. Our family would choose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 26 August 2010
Greetings to our guests from right up the road in Suffolk! We appreciate your choosing us for your stay here on the OBX. Thank you for all your kind comments and who doesn't like a deli sandwich from the Stop N Shop? I'm glad you found everything in the room to your satisfaction and we hope that we see you soon. Please feel free to contact us directly the next time you visit and we would be happy to help make your reservations.

Thanks
Tonia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Days Inn on the first night of a 6-week cross-country road trip we took this summer. Throughout the rest of the trip, we stayed at hotels that were nicer, and other hotels that were not nearly as nice. One of the best features of the Days Inn is its proximity to the beach -- a boardwalk comes out the rear of the hotel and leads directly to the beach, which is lovely. Another great feature is the free breakfast, which includes a make-your-own waffle bar. The front porch of the hotel is very large and welcoming -- it feels very "southern," with rocking chairs for guests and big white columns. The lobby is also welcoming, with a large fireplace and a carpeted staircase leading to the second floor rooms. The front desk staff (Zach and Karen, I believe) was very friendly and helpful with tips on places to eat nearby. The room wasn't the most modern we saw on our trip, but it was very spacious (with a kitchenette, a table, a couch and a chair) and quiet. All of the rooms have a patio or porch area, which is also nice. All in all, it would be a great place to stay for a longer beach vacation -- we enjoyed our 1 night there before heading west, and if we return to the Outer Banks someday, we'd definitely stay at the Days Inn again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time from your trip to write a review of our Days Inn Oceanfront. We appreciate your comments and I will make sure Karen sees your comments (Zach has left for college for the year). I do want to make 1 clarification that only our oceanview rooms, suites (which is the room type you were in), and our dunefront rooms are the only ones that have Adirondack Chairs and a sitting area outside the room. Our standard rooms with 2 doubles, a queen or king do not.

Hopefully you'll get to take a longer stay the next time when coming through the Outer Banks and we would love to have you stay with us again!

North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed in a room that faced the parking lot (number 207). The room was located in between two storage closets. Multiple times during our stay, we opened our room door to find a closet door open, blocking us in our room until the maintenance staff noticed us and let us squeeze by. The room's door handle stuck and we had to ask for instructions about how to open the door (I promise, my husband is an engineer, it wasn't just us). Our room did not have a flat screen tv, as others reviews mentioned. The shower was tiny; I'm a small woman and felt very cramped in there. There was no tub, just a shower stall with a curtain that was too small to keep the water off the floor. Overall, the shower reminded me of an old high school locker room.

The breakfast was nice and the location is good. We enjoyed the pool which was quiet during the day and great for relaxing.

I would not stay here again, but based on the other reviews, you might have better luck in a different room.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of our property. I am sorry that you experienced issues during your stay. I have spoken with the head of the housekeeping and maintenance staff about leaving the closet doors open near the room you were in. We have also removed the electronic lock on the door for that room and replaced it with a new one to fix any residual problems there might have been.

Not all rooms have flat screen TVs, as of yet. Many of the rooms have had "regular" TVs replaced but we are still in the midst of replacing "normal" TVs to flat screen. Because our hotel is the longest, continuous-running hotel on the Outer Banks--many of our rooms have showers only. And many of the bathrooms will be on the smaller size compared to newer hotels just because of when the hotel was initially built.

I am pleased you enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast, our location, and our outdoor pool during your stay. If you have any further comments and would like to share them, please feel free to contact me directly at the property. If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, please contact me directly and I will be happy to help see if we can show you a more enjoyable stay the next time around.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I am not a big person on writing reviews, but this place impressed me so much I had too. 1) whe drove from Raleigh and got in pretty late even though they were busy they got to me pretty quick check in way very fast and nice staff. 2) Got up to my room 217 & it was very clean probable the cleanest I have seen at a Days inn the room was a little small lucky it was just my wife and I, if you have children besure to call them and ask for an outer room they are bigger. room had a kitchen sink with dishes, microwave, mini fridge, coffie maker, flat screen tv, safe, iron & board. 3) After getting everything put up in my room I wanted to go for a swim because after 4 1/2 hours in a vehicle I needed to relax, so I asked what time the poole clsed and the ladyat the front desk said 10pm it was already 11pm she told me that the gate was still inlocked and if I was quiet i could go for about 30 mins till she was done with the customers to go and lock it & the sprinklers came on around midnight so i had to be out before they came on. 4) Place is one block from the Wright Brothers museum & monument which can I say was pretty cool to i love anything to do with history. In closing I just want to say Thanks to the Staff at the Days inn for an awesome time & I will be back. The whole experiance here was way beyond expectation.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing a review for our property--even though you normally don't! I am glad that we made such a great impression that you felt compelled to share your thoughts with everyone.

I will share with the staff your review and your glowing comments. I'm glad that you had a great stay with us. We hope that you can return soon to the Outer Banks (since you're just up the road a bit) and the next time you visit please feel free to contact me or the front desk staff and we will be happy to make reservations for your next stay!

Thanks again--Tonia
Independence, MO
Reviewed 19 June 2010

The Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront is located on the oceanfront with a short walk to the beach. Disappointedly, the dune-front room featured an exterior door that opened to the sound of humming air conditioning units rather than the sound of the ocean. The room was clean and comfortable and featured a large, flat-screen television, refrigerator, microwave, and in-room safe. Continental breakfast featured the normal items and make-your-own waffles. Parking was somewhat limited.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 21 June 2010
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at our Days Inn Oceanfront. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the set up of our dunefront room for your stay. They are very popular with guests year round. We appreciate your making the long trek from MO and hope to see you another time. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are able to visit the Outer Banks, and I'd be happy to help make reservations for your stay! Thanks--Tonia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hil...
#8 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!