“Holy Guacamole! Get the guac, get the guac, get the guac!”
Review of Plaza Azteca

Plaza Azteca
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The highlight of our meal at Plaza Azteca was the guacamole (could you tell from the title?). They make it table-side, and it is DELICIOUS! The chips & salsa are also very tasty, but guac is well worth the 8 bucks. Another great thing is that they'll just keep on bringing the chips & salsa. We were already sort of full by the time our meals came.

The drinks were just okay. My wife had the margarita, which wasn't made with love (salt already slid down the outside by the time it got there, not a lot of alcohol). I ordered a Coke Zero, but got a diet coke. I asked for (& was given) a sweet tea to replace it, and that was good. The kids asked if they had root beer, and the server said yes, but when these came, they were in a bottle. I'm one of those folks that thinks that when it comes in a bottle (without free refills), the server should warn you.

The food was pretty good. I had the Enchiladas del Puerto (seafood), and these were good (not amazing, but good). The sides were refried beans & rice; the beans were decent (again, not great, but good) and the rice was VERY good. My wife had the chicken chimichanga, and she greatly enjoyed it. My son had the taco / burrito kids meal, and he was quite happy. My daughter had the quesadilla, which was also okay. However, she asked for fries instead of rice, but the server just brought an extra side of fries along with the rice (& charged us for it).

It was my son's birthday (he chose to go here because he likes Mexican), and I had mentioned this to the hostess upon our arrival. She must have told the waiter (we never did) because after our meal, some employees came out with a drum and sang happy birthday to "Panchito" (they give him a sombrero to wear and gave him that name), which was quite fun. This made up for the other minor issues we had experienced.

Overall, we enjoyed the experience. If we're back in the Outer Banks, we'd probably try it again just for the guacamole alone.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

y friend and I went in for their dollar tacos for Taco Tuesday. When my tacos came out there it's so greasy the grease literally poured out of the taco and completely covered my plate. I don't know about you but I can't eat that much grease. So I politely took a bite and because it was so bad I had to send it back I didn't want anything in replace of it because it took over 30 minutes to get 3 tacos. The server it said were your tacos not good and I said no they weren't I am fine thank you. We're sitting at the bar so we could see our check on the screen after I sent that to tacos the bartender tried to charge me $9 for the dollar tacos I got 3 of them so it should have been $3. I quietly went up to the front where the bar at the server bartender was at the moment I asked him politely why my tacos were $9 instead of the three and he was very rude to me. not only did he get very upset that I asked about the $9 but he also went off about how I didn't like the food and that it was very disrespectful to everybody in the restaurant. I told him that's why I came up to him at the front of the desk and talk to him personally about it. He was so rude though that it literally made the girl at the front that was hosting uncomfortable. I will never be going back to that restaurant ever again simply because of how he treated me not just because the food is bad I understand that the kitchen has its of days. But what he did was completely uncalled for and absolutely one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a restaurant. And if this helps at all, I'm a waitress and have been for over 10 years and I have never been so disrespected and so dumbfounded by a server.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Been to Plaza Azteca several times. Food is always great! Service is great. Very clean and puts LaFogata to shame.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We are local and always try to sample different places during the non-summer months when the crowds are lighter.

Today we had the lea sure of trying Plaza Azteca, which has been here only a few years, in the building formerly occupied by Dirty Dick's Crabhouse (which is now where Slammin' Sammy's used to be).

The Plaza Azteca folks have done a super job with the building, it is very nice with outdoor seating, plenty of room inside and a good-sized bar/lounge. The place feels decidedly un-chain-like and comfortable and the food and service were both great. They are fast for what you get, which seems freshly cooked.

Al-lin-all, it is a great informal place to grab a different experience on the Outer Bnaks. They had everything from vegetarian to beef, seafood and chicken, all with a southwestern flair. There is a kid's menu and everything we had was terrific.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was a wonderful place! Food is really good, prices are very reasonable. And the best thing is they make Guacamole right at your table!!!