“Not a hotel I would try a second time.”
Review of Outer Banks Inn

Outer Banks Inn
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Suffolk, Virginia
“Not a hotel I would try a second time.”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I went to Nags Head just to get away for a night and do some Shopping. At check-in the receptionist asked which floor I wanted to be on. I told her it didn't matter as long as it was quiet. She gave me a room on the first floor. Around 11pm the ice machine was in constant use, guests in other rooms were slamming their doors. I put up with it until 1 am then I packed up and went to check out. The clerk offered to move me but by then I was so exhausted and fed up I just wanted to go home.

• Stayed February 2014
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
I sincerely apologize for the noise that disturbed your evening. We do work very hard to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests and did have a full hotel this past weekend. Noise created by other guests is difficult to predict and control at times. That being said I do apologize again for the inconvenience and that your get away did not end up as you had planned. We have sent you a voucher for a free stay with us to come back, at which time I hope you are able to enjoy a getaway to the Outer Banks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Virginia
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This was a girls trip away. For the value you can't beat it. It was clean, nice accommodations for the value. The rooms we had were recently updated with nice artwork. Continental breakfast was served every morning and coffee was always available in the lobby. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend this Inn if you are looking for a clean, comfortable and affordable stay. Also centrally located to many restaurants and shops.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Cathems
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
I sincerely appreciate your kind words and feedback. We certainly hope you are able to return soon.
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I originally booked my trip at the Colonial Inn but when they had to close for repairs, I was offered my same reservation (price and everything) at OBX Inn and they upgraded me from a queen room to a king. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Great location, although the parking lot is a bit awkward. We always stay in Salvo during the summer but when I visit in the off season, I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Jenny we sincerely appreciate you kind feedback. I am happy to hear the relocation went smoothly and you enjoyed your stay. We are working diligently on our sister hotel this off season and excited about upgrades at both locations. We hope you are able to return soon.
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We were on the road for nine days heading down to Florida with a stop in Kill Devil Hills. We saw a special promotion on another site but missed the opportunity. Went directly to the Inn's web site we saw the Inn was offering a pay for one night get a second night free offer which fit into our travel plans. We got a great price for our two night stay. When we arrived we were greeted cheerfully by Gail who provided us with local information and recommendations. Our room was a typical hotel room with a King bed, table and two chairs, fridge and microwave and a flat screen TV. The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable but the decor was a bit outdated. The free breakfast was just OK with packaged muffins, breakfast burritos, cold cereal and beagles. The Inn is located on the Main Street but set back so you don't hear any traffic in the room. It's about two block from the beach and they have a little shuttle to take back and forth during the season. Local attractions such as The Wright Brothers National Memorial and the National Seashore are not too far away. Plenty of shopping and dining options nearby. All in all, for our purposes The Outer Banks Inn fit the bill. It was clean, comfortable and conveniently located....and we were able to get a great special off-season price.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Bob, I sincerely appreciate your kind feedback. We hope you are able to return soon.
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The "Not so good"

Musty moldy smell when you walk into the Inn. (Not so good for my allergies). When we got to the room, the bottom hinge of the door had no screws! Here's a good comment --->But management fixed it promptly. Musty smell in room as well. Beds were too hard for my liking. But then again I am not a hard & firm bed person. So this may be ok for you. After a night on the town and a not so good nights sleep, even with my own pillow & from being able to hear people come up the stairs, we stayed in a room next to the stairs & when waking up could hear people in hallway from inside the room. Not too sound proof or private feeling! We had a room with a king sized bed and it was kinda cramped (bulky dated furniture). Table in room was not sturdy. Not too many accessable electrical outlets that were "handy" local to the bed. The bathroom faucet when taking showers, would come out of the wall! Water pressure not the best and took time for water to get to the right temp. The second night I did not sleep on my pillow and woke up with a slight rash on my cheeks? I am not allergic to many things but that was a signifier to possible bug problem, as I am not allergic to washing soaps. Then again I don't know what they wash their linens in. Saw some gnats flying around in our room and we didn't have anything really sitting out, we had fresh fruit in our carryall bag but nothing that would have spoiled to get gnats. Complimentary breakfast was just little yogurts, mini bagels, toast, cereal, juice & coffee. Coffee was so-so. I had a yogurt and then we went to a local place called Stackem' High Pancakes which was good!

Here's the plus side of this hotel

Management was friendly & prompt on fixing the door. Overall clean & organized. Decor was a little dated but had some nice beachy scenes being that it was not on beachfront property. Flat screen tv where we retired for a late football game & other tv shows was nice for relaxing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Megan - I sincerely appreciate your honest feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve. I do apologize for the odor you seemed to encounter. Beach hotels can be a challenge to this regard however we will certainly look into this issue. I can assure you we are inspected monthly and consistently and preemptively treat to prevent any sort of bugs. We use all Proctor and Gamble cleaning products so our linen is washed in Tide. I am happy to hear that the maintenance staff was so responsive. I sincerely do apologize for the issues you encountered and promise to investigate and correct any issues that may present. We are continually striving to be the best hotel in this area so we hope you would consider us in the future.
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The inn is average ..not worth paying more than 90 dollars.
There is a certain damp smell as one enters the corridor and the room,the building seems pretty older compared to many on the outer banks.
Location is good with the beach and stores around being very close by and a convenient shuttle for use.Staff is helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I sincerely apologize that you didn't seem to enjoy your stay. I appreciate the kind words with regard to the location and staff. We will certainly look into your concerns as it is our goal for every guest to have an unforgettable experience.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is an older hotel. Our room smelled musty and had a faint urine odor. The carpet was old and stained. On the plus side the staff was helpful and friendly. Great location,close to the beach with convenient shuttle.

• Stayed September 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Celia, I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Our rooms should never have a musty feel and the carpet is new as of last year. I will certainly make sure I check on the rooms to ensure this does not happen again. I sincerely apologize and hope that you would consider us in the future as this is not the norm for us.