“Excellent place!!”

Mama Kwan's Grill & Tiki Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We have been serving the Outer Banks, NC for the past 10 years, with our very own twist on food from around the world – and around the block.Our local seafood menu is designed to cover all types of tastes, so even the pickiest member of your party will find something they enjoy.We’re a laid back, fun and offer a casual dining experience for the entire family. We offer a kids menu, so everyone will find their happy place.We laugh a lot and smile because we enjoy what we do here. We hope you enjoy your time here at our local OBX bar and grill, and on vacation at the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
Champaign, Illinois
“Excellent place!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

What a great little restaurant! I'll definitely be back the next time I'm in the OBX.

My meal was great - I had the tuna fish salad. DELICIOUS and filling. I really like tuna fish salad and this was one of the best I have ever had. Our waitress was great, too!

New York
“Tasty Fish Tacos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

If you never tried fish tacos, go to Mama Kwan's. I ordered the Mama's World Famous Fish Tacos (it's not tacos but really tortillas) and it was very good but I wish they offered more portion of the fish instead of the cheese. The fish was cut in small chunks and did not flake or fall apart. I wanted to order it Blackened but opted not to as it was an additional .99 cents and I wanted my daughter to try it. However, they did offer a bottle of Siracha sauce which was a good alternative if you wanted to add spice to it instead of ordering it Blackened. The staff were courteous and the service was quick.

Vienna, Virginia
“Nice change if pace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My husband's family has been coming to OBX forever and tend to go to the same places (local institutions) so it was nice to try something new. It's not one of those mammoth restaurants that seats hundreds of people and lack good food (Lone Cedar), rather it is more intimate but in a fun way. Great for kids and adults....nice bar area.

My son (6 years old) and I got the fish tacos, and my other son (4 years old) got the shrimp wantons. My 4 year old loved the wantons and got 2 orders. I liked the fish tacos... but know that you have ensemble yourself. I am never a fan of that. They were good...but definitely not the best I ever had.

I would go back and recommend this restaurant for the overall experience.

Fredericksburg, VA
“Try the garbage plate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We started with the fried onion rings as an appetizer. While tasty, they are so crunchy that they're almost too crunchy. We ordered the garbage plates, one plain and one with chicken. They are so tasty that I can't wait to get home and try to duplicate it. Field greens with a little shredded cabbage, delicious marinated cucumbers, a scoop of jasmine rice, sautéed vegetables and a slice of grilled pineapple and a cup of homemade teriyaki sauce all on one plate. The only thing I would change would be the vegetables. They are cooked until very soft and a little on the greasy side. I prefer them barely cooked and a little crisp tender. The meal was filling and delicious and we were sure the healthy stuff balanced out the fried stuff! Next time we go back we'll try the fish tacos or the pork plate.

1 Thank jackandtara
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“They set the bar for Fish Tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

If Mama Kwan's was the only restaurant in the Outer Banks, I'd survive. We don't even need a menu. We order fish tacos all around. . .though my husband occasionally strays to the pork plate. Fish is cooked perfectly, yummy dressing, more than fair portion. We prefer to go in mid-afternoon to beat both the lunch and dinner crowd.

• Visited September 2013