“The Big Snow of Jan. 2014”
Review of Sea Ranch Resort

Sea Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Richmond, Virginia
“The Big Snow of Jan. 2014”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My sister and I checked in on Sunday afternoon, Jan 26. Jen was very welcoming, our room was clean an well stocked. We were given breakfast vouchers to The Jolly Roger, just down the street. Wednesday AM we awoke to 6 inches of snow and lots of ice!! But we could walk to the Jolly Roger, and we had a lot of paper work to do, and the power did not go off!! So all was well. The parking lot was plowed on Thursday, the temp warmed up, we were able to depart Friday AM as planned. We were snowed in at the best location on the beach!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lollihollis
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for your review! I am sure you weren't planning on snow at the beach, but it's such a beautiful thing to see! We hope that you will return as the weather gets warmer and can spend some days soaking up the sun and sight seeing!

Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This is our first trip to the OBX and stayed here between Christmas and the New Year. The check in was very easy and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and met our needs. I would booked a condo in the future just to have a little more room and a kitchen.
We love the closeness to the beach, we were like just 2 mins from the beach! Can't beat that. There is a heated pool in a heated tent but we did not swim but have seen several other guests taking the plunge. Breakfast for us were included at the Jolly Rogers.

For those who do not have a group large enough to rent a vacation home, this is one of your best choices in OBX. I would definitely come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gamedad
Thanks for taking the time to leave your review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of out location! Come back and see us soon!
Myersville, Maryland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

At the desk they were willing for us to change our original reservation of two nights in the main bldg which allowed us one night oceanfront. We had a package deal and they adjusted it in the computer so it would work. Friendly, flexible, helpful. Two complaints - the first room wasn't cleaned very well. We found food on the carpet that had not be vacummed. The other was the band they hired for New Year's Eve. While they played a variety of songs, they seemed to only have one tempo - slow. Their audience wanted to dance and kept asking them to pick up the tempo, but that didn't happen. One friend said, "Don't you all take a break?" I'd never heard someone want the band to stop and put on the stereo before.

1 Thank Kelley P
Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback and have addressed the concerns that you had with the cleanliness of your room with our housekeeping staff. Regarding the music, we appreciate your honesty and this will help us better identify in what our guest are looking for in entertainment for future events.

I am pleased to know that your overall experience was great and we hope that you will return to the Sea Ranch Resort!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to treat each other to a trip to the OBX for Christmas. We stayed Dec 26-28 and had an oceanview room. It was an incredible trip! The room had everything we needed with a huge king size bed, TV, sitting area and friendly staff. The comp breakfast at Jolly Rogers did not disappoint at all....huge portions and very cool decor with an awesome waitstaff. If we make it back to Kill Devil Hills we will be staying here!

1 Thank Win4ecu
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I am so glad that your travels led you to the Sea Ranch for a quick winter get-a-way! We hope that you will make it back when the weather is a little warmer! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

Until next time!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I've stayed on a lot of oceanfront property but the proximity to the actual ocean is competitive with any you could possibly find. The Jolly Roger is a good restaurant for the resort to offer as a breakfast accommodation; great portions and maybe the best waffle you will ever have. The staff was genuine, which I personally prefer to someone being nice. You could do much worse finding a place to stay in the OBX.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nathaniel W
Thanks for reviewing your stay with the Sea Ranch! Please stay in touch for special events coming this Spring! We hope to have you back again soon!
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

I just left yesterday. I certainly did not want to leave. This was my first time traveling out of my home state but still I'm not understanding the bad reviews. The king bed in room 1 was very comfortable. Room 2 which had 2 twin beds was just right for my kids & although it didnt have a tv, they still enjoyed it. As far as not having room service, I didn't find out until I arrived but it didn't put a damper on my vacay, if anything was needed, I just went to the front desk and asked. I was expecting a balcony and not an enclosed patio but oh well. This room had everything described. The office staff was nice & cheerful and the maintenance man I ran into was hilarious. I can't wait to go back. Planning to return in spring for a week.
If you eat at Jolly Rogers, just know their portions are huge; fulfilling.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the review of your recent stay. We are all pleased that you had such a positive experience and you're planning another trip to stay with us! Don't hesitate to give us a call if we can assist you with making your next reservation! We look forward to seeing you this Spring!
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We chose to come to the Outer Banks on a whim during the off-season because of a deal too good to pass up, offered by the Sea Ranch Resort. We chose an ocean-front room, which was definitely the right choice. The room has a mini fridge, a kurig, microwave, and a small sink - a perfect mini kitchen for vacation.

The room was clean, and our housekeeper, Cindy, kept everything stocked - fresh towels, new soap, and more coffee each time we returned from our adventures.

We did swim in the pool once - it was a bit chilly, as December can be, but the pool area was okay. It was still a bit cold for my liking, but we swam for about a half hour and had a good time. We were the only ones to utilize the facility. My one piece of advice for the pool area is to put your belongings on a chair - our clothes were soaked after putting them on the ground - not sure why, as we didn't drip on them.

My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that when the heat kicks on, it's really loud. It does this a few times during the night. Not sure if it does the same for A/C as well.

Our stay included breakfast, for which we were given vouchers to the Jolly Roger right down the street. These were nice, but the vouchers have limited options - eggs, toast, potatoes, and meat; pancakes or waffles and bacon; biscuits and gravy; or oatmeal and fruit. The vouchers include coffee, tea, or soda. I would not recommend the Jolly Roger for breakfast,, but that has no bearing on my review of the hotel.

Room Tip: Oceanfront queen is the way to go. The second floor has vending, ice, and beach access, so if possib...