“Outstanding service”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Baltimore, Maryland
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

If it wasn't for the outstanding service, I would have given this hotel a two star. The room (103) was outdated and had a strong, musky smell - most likely from previously wet carpets. If I had to stay in the room for more than one day I would have left because of the smell. On the bright side, the front desk clerk was very nice when I checked in - she was able to accommodate my early arrival (by one hour). The highlight of the hotel was the bartender, Garrett. Garrett was a super nice guy who made outstanding drinks and the live music was a bonus. I don't think I will stay in this hotel again but I will definately return to their bar.

Room Tip: Do not choose Room 103 - it's right next to the ice machine and close to the check-in desk.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. As I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the level of customer service provided by the staff members in the hotel and restaurant, I am sorry to hear that the guest room was not to your expectations. I would like to reach out to you personally to discuss your experience during your stay. Please contact me at your convenience at info@searanchresort.com or direct 252-441-7126. I look forward to the opportunity to speaking to you.

Best regards,

Barbara Gusler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
PT PLEASANT
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I just spent a very pleasant, relaxing brief vacation at Sea Ranch Resort. We had a third floor oceanfront room with a balcony that felt like we were very, very close to the ocean. In the evening with high tide, the waves broke and sent water 15 feet from the hotel. The sound of the ocean was wonderful. The sunrise every morning was beautiful. Although the hotel is not new it is well maintained. The staff (especially Cindy) were very friendly and accommodating. We went before Memorial Day on purpose to avoid the tourist season and traffic. The hotel is in a convenient location to explore the rest of OBX. We liked having breakfast in their café and not having to drive to an outside restaurant. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor and up less traffic. (2nd floor has ice and vending plus beach access)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to inform prospective travelers about your excellent stay. Your comments will be shared with Cindy and the rest of our team, whom I am sure will be pleased to read them. Your business is appreciated and we look forward to your return.
Prince George, VA
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I came down on Mother’s Day to get some R&R… We found just the right place for it with a great oceanfront room… What a great view! The sunrises and having a full moon was a bonus… Found the staff to be very friendly and helpful… Looking forward to our next visit to the OBX and staying here...

2 Thank PondFishn
Sea Ranch R, General Manager at Sea Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
I am delighted to hear that we could be a part of what was already such a special occasion! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are looking forward to having you all back very soon!
Angola, NY
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My mom and I spent Mother’s Day week at the Sea Ranch Resort and we were not disappointed at all. First, thank you Katie for your welcoming smile when we arrived after a long hot drive. The customer service is top notch and cleanliness is first rated.

Our room on the 5th floor had a wonderful view of the ocean and beach. The ocean is a closer view then any of the other hotels we’ve stayed at for the past 8 years. The room with a king bed, pull out sofa bed had plenty of space. There is a table with chairs and a coffee table in front of the sofa, but the most impressive part was the floor to ceiling windows that looked straight out to the ocean. Great for viewing dolphins and sea birds (just don’t feed the birds). The sun rises were spectacular. The room also included a microwave, refrigerator, and wet bar. There is a cabinet under the sink for storage too. There is a nice size hanging area open with shelving at the top. ( I always bring extra hangers, the plastic dollar store type) Included here is the hair dryer and ironing board. The flat screen television is a nice size, although Cox Communications just brought digital apparently to the area and there are some stations not available---course I wasn’t there to watch tv and this did not bother me at all. The patio area has VERY comfortable chairs and a small table, loved the privacy barriers between rooms. Shower was of excellent strength and we always had hot water. No issues with the bathroom area. Here’s a hint mom and I have done for a number of years going to the Outer Banks, stop at the dollar store pick up the spray Glass Cleaner, no streak, and a roll of paper towels. Even though the windows where cleaned the sea air tends to make them dirty quick. I took a couple of minutes to wipe them down on the outside for a better view. It doesn’t take long and the viewing is always better---yes we’ve done this at every hotel that we’ve stayed at, I’m a picture fanatic.

One priority of mine is the cleanliness of the rooms and by far this resort exceeds all expectations, even their pool area was clean and well maintained.

Unfortunately, we did not get an opportunity to eat at the hotel Bistro, but the food looked very good and plentiful. So, many places, so little time. Live music on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday was a nice touch too.

This family orientated hotel is clean, awesome customer service, nice size rooms, and really a pleasure for a vacation. It is paradise away from home. Even checking out early in the morning was a pleasure thanks to Bo.

Now I have one rant and it isn’t about the hotel. DOG OWNERS—please be responsible and pick up the “dog’s duty” when they are done. I saw so many people up and down the beach allowing their dogs to do their business and not pick it up. Gross and not very nice for the little kiddies playing in the sand. These are the type of neighbors that walk their dog to your house allow them to do their business and not pick up. Perhaps fining dog owners who are not responsible should be put into place for the sake of the rest of us.

Room Tip: Mom and I always love the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ARiley1963
Thank you so much for your sharing your detailed review! We will be sure to acknowledge Katie for her 'Top Notch' customer service and also our Housekeeping staff for their part in making your stay so enjoyable! We are very proud of our oceanfront views and all the nice amenities that the rooms and property offers our guests!

We do not allow pets at our hotel with exception of service animals. Our beaches are public beaches so we cannot guarantee that our guests will never come across pets on the beach, just ensure that it is against our policy. I am sorry that you had to encounter this issue during your stay.

We look forward to having you and mom back very soon!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the sea ranch during the last weekend in April. Even with it being biker week, we had an enjoyable. The Oceanfront rooms are truly oceanfront. The rooms were clean, and the staff was very friendly. Everyone from the check-in, maids and the restaurant were exceptional. They even provided some suggestions on where to eat around OBX. FYI the pancakes for breakfast were awesome in the café. I would highly recommend The Sea Ranch for your next stay in OBX.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeSander
We are happy you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the staff and restaurant with our team, I believe they will enjoy hearing this from one of our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again.
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We booked this place for a college reunion. We stayed in the suites. Everything was very nice. Fully equipped kitchen. Can't beat the location. It's walking distance to two restaurants: Goombays and the Jolly Roger. The staff was very friendly at check in. The restaurant food was very good. We even got a free meal for Mother's Day. Some waitresses were great, others needed a lot more training. We want to come back, but our friend needs a handicapped accessible bath tub. Maybe by next year, at least one suite can be renovated.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time and the convenient location! If travels bring you back to the Outer Banks, we do hope you will choose to stay with us again at the Sea Ranch Resort!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The first thought I had when entering the two bed/bath oceanfront condo was entirely about the amazing view. You can't really be any closer to the ocean without actually being in it. My second thought was how worn down the condo was. Stained, ripped carpeting; ragged furniture; ripped screens. I understand they have a renovation planned for this coming off season (the final stage in a three-phase reno for the entire property), and I'm sure that will be quite an improvement. I have to clarify that though the condition of the condo was rough, the cleanliness was not in question. I had zero issues with the way the rooms had been cared for by the cleaning staff. However, during the stay I encountered a few different problems, including a door lock that quit working out of the blue (thankfully, someone was in the condo to let me in!), and some of those problems required me to take trips from the room to the separate lobby, not the shortest trip in the world. I understand the front desk clerks can't leave the desk, but it would certainly help to have staff that was available to come to the guest. Probably one of the most disappointing aspects of the room was the fact that our phenomenal view quickly became obscured by sea spray and condensation that built up on the glassed-in porch. What had once been an amazing oceanfront view suddenly disappeared, at which point we may as well have been in an oceanside room. I don't know how any human could keep that from happening, and I'm sure those in charge of the remodel will come up with a different idea for the porches.

It also serves to mention that the building is older and is somewhat difficult to maneuver in, especially when carrying luggage or beach paraphernalia. I only noticed a central elevator and some staircases at the sides, so you definitely get a workout.

The included breakfast was quite lovely. Never had a complaint there. And the restaurant itself has a beautiful ocean view.

Ultimately, a stay that had tons of potential was somewhat marred by some property difficulties that added stress rather than relieved it. However, I will add that I alerted management about my concerns and was treated with fairness and respect, including receiving an offer of an additional night's stay. So while I can't wholeheartedly recommend Sea Ranch, I hope to be able to sometime in the future. I have high hopes they can work out the kinks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeneats
Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously, and I’m sorry that you did not find value in your stay due the issues you faced and the overall condition of our condo-style suite not meeting your expectations. There are plans for a re-model in the suites this coming off season. This will bring several upgrades to the suites. We hope that you will keep your eye out for updates as we come into the fall & winter 2015!

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to the opportunity to exceeding your expectations during your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Sea Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!