“OMG - GREAT food and service!!!”
Review of The Saltbox Cafe

The Saltbox Cafe
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Serving lunch & dinner Monday through Saturday and brunch on Sunday in the heart of Colington Island! Stop on in to taste an array of eats from Chefs and Owners, Randolph Sprinkle & Amanda Wolf. You won't be disappointed We accept reservations!
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Food is wonderful - out of the way place off of the main drag on the OBX.....Chef is GREAT!!! Had spicy shrimp and grits......oh my - were they out of this world!!!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our experience at The Saltbox Cafe was one of the best foods we have had in the outer banks, N.C. Delicious food, the fish was very fresh, lovely presentation of the plates, friendly staff, great beach decor. It has become one of our favorite restaurants in that area, we will definitely return and have recommended this lovely Gem to all our friends.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

In the past, the building that the "new" Saltbox Cafe is in might be termed a hole-in-the wall. The interior was perhaps best classed a sports bar before. But a friend had dined there recently after the place reopened under a new name and new managment, and strongly recommended that we give it a try. So we had breakfast there as it was convenient to our condo in Kill Devil Hills.

We drove up around 9:00 AM on a Saturday, and there were no other cars in the parking lot, but I could see that the lights were on ... and the hours on the sign told me to expect it to be open, so we parked and headed up the steps. Dawn, the waitress met us at the door ... and held the door open for us. I'll give her credit, but admittedly, one can argue she perhaps had nothing better to do at that instant. Actually, the owner held the door open when we left, too.

We were impressed that the interior had been remodeled, and that the big screen TV's were gone. Nice touches. The bar is still there, otherwise the wine queen would never hear of us returning for dinner sometime. And return, we will.

The menu was brief, but has something for just about everyone. Do a few things, and do them well. I opted for the scrambles with NC crabmeat and chive. That comes with toast. I've had canned crabmeat before. This crabmeat was fresh, believe me. And Randolph, the new owner (chef/partner) served the breakfasts when they were ready. He took the liberty of substituting an excellent spring onion for the chive. It was a delicate touch, not overpowering the crabmeat. The toast was real sourdough bread, properly toasted. I'm a stickler about that. Did I mention that the scrambles themselves were great! NOT overcooked. We also ordered a side of home fries with onions that we split. They were scalding hot, and not overdone, either. I prefer a bit crispy, but these were still good. My only complaint may have been that the toast is not prebuttered. And I like hollendaise sauce with crab and eggs, but I did not ask, and this is not time to be picky.

The wine queen had the special omelet of the day, and it included bacon, cheddar and roasted tomatoes, along with toast. The eggs were fluffy and she enjoyed the home fries as well. She wants everyone to specifically know that she liked the omelet.

Dawn kept the coffee and the conversation flowing. Very personable. As was Randolph.

The gist of the conversation tells me that people are discovering this place as well they should. Randolph has quite a history in the restaurant business. This is his first ownership, however. Thumbs up. Give it a try and prove it for yourself.

Reservations are suggested from what I've heard about dinner time. Open 6 days a week for dinner. Only open 4 or 5 days a week for breakfast and lunch ... brunch on Sundays. Parking may or may not be adequate. Expect to run into some happy people. I hope I am one of them.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Enjoyed our meal here. Restaurant is small and can be a bit noisy, but service was very good and food was excellent. I had a well prepared fresh fish along with a cup of the tomato basil soup. Will definitely return and check out the lunch menu. This is a great addition to all the wonderful restaurants in the outer banks!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

All I can say is .. GO THERE!!!!! The flounder was breaded with the lightest crust and the shrimp and grits ..... I still dream about them!!!! My husband is a chicken wing expert and about fell out of his chair when the waitress walked by with those .... next time!!