“Great Place!”

Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
nagsheadbeachhotel, General Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Let me start by saying that I did much research before deciding to spend hundreds of dollars on a hotel room. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the entire package. People always say that you get what you pay for, so I was hesitant at their advertised price, boy was I wrong. I will give a quick little evaluation of my own which may or may not help those of you that read this in the future.

1. Room = (A+) = clean & accommodating.
2. Beds = (C) = they sink in the middle, my back was killing me after 3 days.
3. Location = (A+) = you are at Mile marker 8, right in the middle of everything.
4. Price = (A+) = cant beat the price for what you get.
5. Service = (A++) = Scott was awesome upon arrival and Diana was awesome upon departure.
6. Wifi = (D) = it may be free, but it was pretty much useless.
7. Continental Breakfast = (A) = it was what it was.

***** Would I stay here again? ****** ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: No need to spend the money on the "Ocean View Rooms". You are already across the highway...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
nagsheadbeachhotel, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

We are always grateful when one of our guests take the time from their busy schedule to write a review of our hotel. I am so delighted that your research led you right to our front door! I am glad too that you were only hesitant for a moment before you decided to go ahead and try us out. It is unfortunate that some places advertise a great deal and then you are disappointed when you actually get that deal. We take great pride in the quality of our hotel, staff and awesome pricing. I am especially happy that you have taken the time to reach out to be sure that anyone contemplating a stay at our hotel knows that what you "see" is in fact what you get with the Travelodge.
I really love your "evaluation" with a complete breakdown of our services, accommodations, staff, location (which by the way is just 100 yards to the ocean), etc... The only thing I see was a real problem for you was the bed, and that is puzzling to me. The mattresses are all new top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest Pillow tops, so I am concerned about our (C) from you. I wish that you would have made the front desk know this after your first night, so that we could have given the matter immediate attention and your following two nights would have been more comfortable.If you remember which room you were in we would certainly appreciate it if you could let us know so that we could further investigate , and replace that mattress at once if need be. The front desk # is 252-441-0411 ext. 1 and you can ask for Sherrie or Diana or simply leave a message with whom ever answers the phone. We rely on our guests comments and concerns to address any issues/problems promptly. Thus insuring the next guest will not encounter any of the same issues/problems. I would like to offer up my apologies for your issue with the bed .
We certainly look forward to your next visit to Kill Devil Hills, and trust we will be seeing you again!!!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

1  Thank clotman
nagsheadbeachhotel, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
nagsheadbeachhotel, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night on my way up the outer banks. The hotel is very nice, clean and at a great location. It's across the street from the beach and only a couple blocks from the Wright Brothers Monument.

One complaint I have is the Travelodge website's Express Booking option. The hotel website allows you to book without a credit card however the hotel doesn't honor this reservation. I arrived and my reservation had been cancelled. The rate I had reserved was not being offered and I ended up paying $30 more than I had expected.

Great hotel but be careful when you are booking directly on the Travelodge website.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel during your recent visit to the Outer Banks.
I am sorry for the problems you encountered using the Express online booking system. We do have guests using that system every day and more often than not there are no problems
. Apparently there was a bit of a misunderstanding as to how the reservations are held. I am glad that you brought this up so that I could have the opportunity to address this issue. On all hotel reservations a credit card is generally required to "hold" that reservation. The actual website does in fact allow you to make a reservation and have that reservation "held". This is apparently where the confusion lies. The "hold" is up until 6p.m. (and the site does inform the guest of this) When the hotel is full or almost to capacity, we make every effort to contact any guest who may have a reservation in the "hold" category to be sure they in fact are still in need of that room. They are informed that in order to continue to hold that reservation a credit card will be necessary. Unfortunately, some guests are in a hurry when placing their rooms on a "reservation hold" and disconnect or hang up before they give the pertinent information necessary for the front desk of the hotel, or sometimes give a home phone # rather than the # they are traveling with. I am assuming that this is in fact what had occurred with your reservation.
When you had showed up after 9 p.m.(as stated earlier it is a 6 p.m. courtesy hold when there is no credit card information) the reservation was in fact canceled. However we did have other rooms available for you and simply needed to put that particular room back on line to make it available to other guests who were in need of lodging. In general people tend to book the least expensive rooms on line, often upgrading once they arrive. So YES, You were in fact charged a higher rate for the room we had available for you when you arrived, but I would like to point out the original room you booked had 2 double beds with a view of the street. The room you ended up in was one with a balcony and an ocean view, which of course is a higher rate room than you originally booked. So, while you did pay more for the room, you were also upgraded to that more expensive room and for a discounted rate.
We make every effort to honor all reservations and hold rooms. I would also like to state that we make every effort to hold an "emergency" room, so if in the event we do need to put a courtesy hold room-- back on line-- there is still a room available should that guest in fact show up after the 6 p.m. hold time. Of course those will often be the higher rate rooms. We never want to put a guest out on the street with no room to spend the night in. I hope this clears up a bit of the confusion and that in the future we can maybe be of service to you again, as you did state we are a "good hotel"

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is in a great spot, right on the Beach Road and conveniently close to everything (MP8). Quick and easy check-in/out process. Clean rooms, nice pool, and pet friendly. A great complimentary continental breakfast. Excellent staff - helpful and friendly (including Diana, Sherrie, and Scott). Will stay again and again...

Room Tip: The first floor is pet friendly. There are two choices - pool side or beach side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Yet another satisfied guest to add to our already long and constantly growing list. Your wonderful review just reminds us that all the hard work we do here at the Travelodge doesn't go unnoticed. Thank you for taking the time from your daily life to confirm what we love to hear..."Great Beach Hotel In The O.B.X."

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

First time in obx and I must say this isn't the biggest and fanciest hotel but it does well. Comfortable beds and a minute walk to the beach. Nice little pool (feels heated).. only downside would be needs a hottub ( picky i know) and wish the rooms where a little bigger but they do serve thier purpose. Will stay again though. Staff is super friendly..

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
nagsheadbeachhotel, General Manager at Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Thank you so much for the recent review of our property. We are really glad that you had a "great stay" and look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay. Please be sure to call the front desk of the hotel to book your next stay and remind us you are a repeat guest. 252+441+0411 ext. 1

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills? Share your experiences!