“Terrific Place to Stay in KDH” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantic Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Atlantic Street Inn
Pittsburgh, PA
“Terrific Place to Stay in KDH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

My wife and I went to stay at the Atlantic Street Inn in Kill Devil Hills (KDH) over Labor Day week to celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary. This was the first time my wife and I have ever been to the Outer Banks and we were curious about what we’d find. We found The Atlantic Street Inn on the internet and were greatly impressed by how reasonable its prices were so we decided to stay for four days.

The Atlantic Street Inn is a former lifeguard station a few blocks away from the Beach at KDH. Painstakingly restored by George the owner, the Atlantic Street Inn sits near Mile Marker 9.5 in between the Croatan Highway and the Virginia Dare Trail (Route 12). We arrived late in the day after a lengthy (9+ hours) trip from Pittsburgh and happily hopped into our room.

The first thing that you’ll notice when you stay there is the attention to detail that George put into his restoration of the Atlantic Street Inn is impressive. The rooms themselves are wall-to-wall wood, from the ceilings to the floor, impressively restored. My wife and I spent the night in the Master, which is located on the second floor and has a modest view of the Atlantic Ocean. The room is nicely decorated with amenities like a coffeemaker, a small refrigerator and a television. The bed is very cushy and comfortable to sleep in. Overall, my wife and I found the room to be very comfortable and very clean, which is what you want in a small, independent hotel!

The Atlantic Street Inn is about thirty yards from the beach. Beach access is very important to my wife and I: we looooove spending time at the beach on vacation. Our previous trips over the last four years have been to Hawaii, Puerto Vallarta, Kiawah Island and Chincoteague, Virginia. It was very easy for my wife and I to walk over to the beach in just five minutes or so and spend a few hours laying in the sun enjoying the surf. We enjoyed the beach at KDH as much as we could although Tropical Storm Hanna moved up from the Gulf and whipped up the waves. Even so, I’d describe KDH as being a place with pretty water (a light shade of blue-green water) but rougher than I expected.

There is a lot to do at KDH, between the terrific restaurants and the sights to see. Obviously make the pilgrimage to the Wright Brothers Memorial just a few miles up the Croatan Highway. The memorial is impressive, though Hanna cut our visit short. Another recommendation is to hop in your car and drive down Route 12 to Hatteras Island and the Oregon Inlet. Route 12 is very pretty, running through vacation communities like Salvo and Rodanthe before ending up in Hatteras at the Hatteras Lighthouse and the National Seashore. It was a very fun way to spend an afternoon.

Restaurants: There are a lot of terrific restaurants in the Outer Banks. I have a couple of recommendations to make.

Colington Café: tucked back behind the Wright Brothers Memorial, the Colington Café is a nice restaurant with a French twist. We ate there and were very impressed with both the friendliness of the service and the quantity of the food we received. Used to going to nice restaurants where a modest chicken breast costs $20? That’s not the Colington Café. Their portions were very nicely seized and their prices were very reasonable.

The Blue Point: Located in Duck (which is north of KDH and Nag’s Head), the Blue Point has terrific food: contemporary American and Southern cuisine with a very different twist. Located on the water facing the Currituck Sound, the Blue Point has a fun retro’50 diner look. The food is very inventive: cornmeal-encrusted fish topped with fried okra, a mellon salad with bacon … Delicious and very, very eccentric. I loved it.

The Kill Devil Grille: Looks like a place Guy Fieri might visit for his TV show “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” from the outside, but the Kill Devil Grille is a fantastic restaurant once you walk through the front door. Large helpings of food and terrific specials abound. My wife and I had the good fortune to show up to eat on the evening of their half-off on bottles of wine special. If you stay at the Atlantic Street Inn you are just a few blocks away from a terrific dinner …

All-in-all, my wife & I enjoyed staying at the Atlantic Street Inn: it's just blocks from the beach, from terrific restaurants and from activities like the Wright Brothers Memorial and Mini-Golf. Terrific place to stay at, my wife and I shall return ...

• Liked — Very clean, very comfortable!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBERQUIST

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Roanoke, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

We decided on the Atlantic Street Inn because of the reviews from Trip Advisor and then the price! We stayed a whole week and it was fabulous. The kitchen was great to have so we didn't have to eat out all the time. There is even a grill in the back. While the Inn is not located on the beach, it is a VERY short walk to the public beach access. I would 100% recommend the Atlantic Street Inn.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — That I couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

We booked late, so we stayed 3 nights in the Back Porch, and 3 in the Sowester. George (the owner) was great working this out for us. He greeted us at the door, was super friendly, and had recommendations for local dining. The inn is about a block and a half from the beach, which I guess is why it is such a great deal. It was no problem to walk, even with beach gear. The rooms are clean and have everything you'd expect. In addition, there is a nice kitchen with a big ice machine so you can fill up your cooler as often as you need! We liked the atmosphere of the place; it feels like you are on a boat. The only downside is that there is some noise: In the Back Porch, which is downstairs, we could hear people from the Master walking around above us (only when we were in bed, with TV and air off). It was only a problem in the Sowester, where you are very close to the adjoining Norwester, and we could hear their TV and conversation (they were NOISY guests; there is no way they could hear our conversation. Every other guest all week was quiet and considerate). If noise bothers you, the Crew Quarters is in the back of the house, with no rooms above it. Overall, we really enjoyed staying here (my husband said I couldn't have picked better!) and I would recommend it. If we come back to the Outer Banks, we would stay here again. So much nicer than a chain motel!

• Liked — value & atmosphere
  • Disliked — Noisy guests in adjoining room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VAHistoryBuff
Lacey, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

We stayed in this charming inn for two days as a "trial" to an upcoming event in June. I wanted to experience this place first hand before I recommended it to my family My parents, my girls, and I stayed here and had a wonderful time.
George, has noticeable put his heart and soul into this old lifeguard boarding house.
We have rented the entire inn for two days. This is unheard of in the Outer Banks in June. Go and enjoy! You won't be disappointed!

Stayed April 2008
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2007

I needed a place to stay for the weekend on the Outer Banks in NC and found that all vacation home rentals had either 3 or 7 night minimum stays. One of the vacation rental agencies recommended calling the Atlantic Street Inn, in Kill Devil Hills, so I did. The owner was very friendly and told me about the web site and I checked it out. He has 2 sets of rooms that can be opened up into one suite so I booked the Sowester and Norwester rooms for our family of 5. My idea was to have our youngest, 6, to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor, but my wife suggested putting all 3 (the other two are 11 and 9) in the queen sized bed in Sowester and we'd sleep in the double bed. It worked great (probably because we kept them up way past their bed time both nights and they were wiped out).

2007 is the first year of operation for the inn and it shows. Everything is very clean and new-looking, though it wasn't generic by any means. The owner, George, is very artistic and painted parts of the house he salvaged during the rennovation and used them as the art work. I mean, very cool artistry including an excellent painting of Black Beard on an old shutter, at the bottom of the stairs, and part of a wooden door as the headboard in the Sowester (complete with door knocker :-) ). The beds were very comfortable and rooms well appointed, though maybe a bit cramped for the 5 of us in the adjoining rooms, ample storage space (tall dresser in the Sowester and a closet in the Norwester), food cart, microwave, and chair. Both rooms' bathrooms had a shower, including a ceiling shower head in the Norwester, which was pretty cool.

He also left an area downstairs as a kitchen and common area, including a kitchen table with 4 chairs. It was very nice to be able to use the kitchen sink, dishes, silverware, and ice machine. There also was a full-sized fridge, though we didn't use it. He probably built this area because the entire inn can be rented by one party. Oh yeah, and the outside showers were...well, new, so very clean and well concealed.

The location was as good as any aside from ocean front (but you know those cost big $$'s) and was less than a 5 minute walk to the beach, which was as nice as any other outer banks beach - decent sized and uncrowded. If you head the other direction you go toward hwy 158 (which you could not hear from the inn) and Stack 'em High Pancakes. Now, I make some pretty mean pancakes at home, so I've gotta say these were only average quality 'cakes (could have been thicker), but certainly worth a one-time visit. Atlantic Street is less than a 5 minute drive from the Wright Brother's Memorial Park and really a great location for getting just about anywhere. We went to the Lost Colony one night and it took only 20 or so minutes to get there, much to my surprise.

So, I definitely recommend the Atlantic Street Inn as a nice place to stay when on the Outer Banks. It would make for an especially wonderful couples get away, and for a small family, getting 2 adjoining rooms makes for a good stay. The Front and Back Porch rooms would probably provide a bit more room than we had, but I went for the less expensive rooms upstairs.

• Liked — Quality accomodations and well thought out decorations. CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Our 2 rooms (the least expensive ones) were a bit small, but not bad.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank JoeNC
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2007

If you are looking for an affordable, cozy and charming place to stay
on the Outer Banks that is convenient to everything - The Atlantic Street Inn is the place for you! The building itself has a rich history and the owner, George, has done a fantastic job with restorations and decor. To give you a better feel for the atmosphere at ASI, the house is divided into six units, three upstairs and three
downstairs. Each unit has a small private bathroom. The unit we stayed in (Sowester) had a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. There is a common kitchen on the first floor that is fully stocked with anything you might need. This is an ideal setting for couples who don't mind being close to each other, as most of the units are small but functional. The location is very good - the walk to the beach is about a block. It is convenient to all attractions and restaurants. The house was immaculately clean and George was a wonderful host, making sure we had everything we needed and making us feel at home. When comparing hotel and rental prices, ASI was by far the best buy for the money! You can also rent the entire unit if you want to bring the brood with you. You can visit their website
at [----] to take a look at the units and get rental rates.

• Liked — Cozy and charming - convenient to everything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,340 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#10 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Atlantic Street Inn? Share your experiences!