“Great experience at the Outer Banks!”

Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great experience at the Outer Banks!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Our son recently moved to Durham, North Carolina and we took him and his wife to the Ocean Reef Suites Best Western at the Outer Banks. We had excellent service. Thanks to Carrie we had a great room with a view and easy access to the beach as well as the pool and hot tub. We had a suite with a kitchen and separate bedroom which was perfect for a family trip. Connie, the attendant at the free breakfast gave us information that allowed us to have an extraordinary experience at the Orville and Wilbur Wright Memorial despite the government shutdown!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your great feedback. I will pass along to my staff your comments. We appreciate your business, and glad that you had a great time.

We love to hear when we have done something right, and we strive to make sure that all of our guests are safe, happy and comfortable. We do hope to see you again soon, and do hope you will come back next summer to see our new improvements.

Have a great day, and see you soon .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The room we were given was one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. Doors were missing from the cabinets, the room had a very unpleasant odor. When we sat on the sofa we realized it was damp as my entire backside was wet. Same with the carpet, we had to keep our shoes on at all times as it was also wet. I have to say the complimentary breakfast was wonderful but that was the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I dearly apologize for not meeting your needs during your stay with us.

I have looked into what happened, and personally went into the room you stayed, I did not see any missing cabinets, I will definitely call you on Wednesday to discuss this matter so I can definitely get this taken care of. I am sorry I was not made aware of any issues while you were at the hotel. I would have made every effort to ensure you were moved, and appropriate action taken.

We are starting Nov 1 to under go extensive renovations, to include remodeling kitchens, bathrooms, and replacing all carpets, furniture and replace sliding glass balcony doors. If you would like to give us another try next year after renovations please contact me directly to ensure that everything meets your needs.

Again, I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay.
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I chose this hotel for a couple of nights to explore a little of the Outer Banks and the Wright Brothers Memorial (closed due to government shut down).
Although the hotel is not in its first flush of youth the accommodation is more than adequate at a fair price. Apart from the howling wind, not the hotel's fault, my room on the fifth floor facing the ocean is very quiet and it is not every day that a pelican flies by your window.
I asked advice from the desk clerk on a good place to eat and with a few well thought out questions she was able to recommend a restaurant to suit my needs which I have eaten at twice. It was a good recommendation and was confirmed by its rating in trip adviser.

Room Tip: If you can manage to get an upper floor room with an ocean view you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for the great review, it was our pleasure to have you visit with us. We apologize that you did not get to see the sights due to govt shut down. We do hope that if you find yourself this way again you will come back for another visit.

It is always a pleasure to hear the positive messages from our guests, my staff goes above and beyond to ensure guests are happy and welcomed. I will pass on your comments.

We will be rejuvenating our hotel this winter, new living rooms, kitchens and baths. We are excited about it, and we can share our new look with you in the near future.
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Almost two years ago I decided to go spend some time on the Atlantic Ocean. I had only seen the Atlantic twice, once when I was two young to remember, and another time the year before up in Canada, so I was excited to see how it is in America, and more specifically in the area where an ancestor of mine was rumored to have disappeared in either a shipwreck or a pirate attack. I found an excellent deal on a bargain hotel site although I had to reserve my room blindly. After a long trip from the Midwest with only two overnight stops, we finally pulled up to our destination after the sun had fallen for the night. We checked in and went up to our room on the fourth floor. I was shocked at how much room we had. I don't know if all rooms are like that but ours had a separate bedroom, small kitchen, full bathroom, and a decent sized living room with a deck overlooking the ocean. The view was breathtaking! In fact, the suite was so nice that we overlooked the fact that it was very dated. Don't get me wrong, we are low maintenance so we need don't need brand new furniture, drapes, etc. but it certainly hadn't been updated since the 80s. Even so, the place was spotless and well taken care of. (I have read they have since updated everything).

We went in March so it was still pretty chilly at night but the low occupancy allowed us to get an excellent rate. We actually like chilly weather so were happy to sleep with windows open but the bedroom faced out towards a communal walkway. We are not the paranoid type but it is an added comfort to have one less thing to worry about. You can imagine how psyched we were to find a murphy bed in the living room. We basically just used the bedroom to store our luggage and the living room also turned into the bedroom, sliding door stayed open at night, and the sound of the ocean waves soothed us to sleep.

I am also not the early rising type but when the sun came up and shone directly into our faces, I couldn't help but get up and enjoy the million dollar view (followed shortly by closing the curtains and getting some more sleep).

The location is absolutely perfect. It is a short walk to the Wright Brothers memorial and is near several restaurants (although most had not opened for the season yet). It is also a short drive to enjoy some scenic lighthouses, sand dunes, and bit of a longer but enjoyable drive to get to Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke Island.

Breakfast is about what you would imagine and I can't comment on much else because we didn't need any additional help from the staff. We have spoken several times about going back and this hotel is our preferred lodging although the normal rates look like they are 2-3 times as much as what we paid through the bargain booking site. I would imagine for most people going during peak season, that would be well worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank your for your great review. We love to hear when we are doing a great job, the staff takes great pride in making sure that every guest is welcomed and comfortable.

I will pass on your comments to the staff, and do hope that you will visit us again. We are in the renovation process, and by next spring will have new furniture, drapes, new kitchens and bathrooms. You will love what we are doing and we are excited to show it off when we are completed.

Again thank you for your great review, come visit with us again, we love to have you
Raleigh, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2013

One of the best Resort area hotels I have stayed in. Rooms were clean. The hotel had a 100% cleanliness rating from the health department and the room reflected this. the staff was attentive, and addressed our questions in a friendly professional manner. My wife and I are planning on staying at this hotel next year for a full month.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your great review, we always love to hear when we have done a great job. My staff takes great pride in what they do, and they love all our guests.

We do hope that you will come and visit with us again, we are in the renovation stages and this spring we come back out looking like a new hotel. New furniture, drapes, carpet, kitchens, bathrooms. We are excited to show off our new hotel next spring and hope we do see you again soon.
IL
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I took the family on vacation to the Outer Banks and we ended up staying at this hotel for 3 nights. I actually tried to rent a vacation property, but could not get anyone to rent for less than a week ahead of time so I booked a hotel instead. I selected this specifically because they were ocean front and also offered suites so that we could separate the kids. I upgraded to the ocean view room at a reasonable price and that was definitely worth it. The views were amazing. The beach was excellent and was easy to access and the pool was nice too. The room ended up being pretty poor. It was large enough and had a full kitchen, but it was very tired with cracks on the ceilings, walls, and floors. The carpet was frayed and coming up in places. The lock on the patio door was broken. There were also some ants. Overall, I really enjoyed the trip and the location. This would be a great hotel if they were ever to renovate it. For now, it is simply an average option.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank db210
Thank you for the great review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize the hotel was not up to your standards, I am glad to let you know that we do understand the need to renovate and have a planned renovation for this winter starting in November. Its very difficult being a beach property to get into the rooms to do this, so we do have to wait until the winter months to accomplish.

We will have new bedrooms, new living room furniture, carpets, paint and drapes. New remodeled kitchens, we are excited about the up coming changes, and do hope that next summer you will give us another change to show you our new hotel.
Moses Lake, wa
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We only stayed one night there , sadly. I had read some reviews and was a little bit concerned. But we were with 5 people and they ad a room for us; a suite-2 double bed. We were very nicely surprised. It was very clean, good beds, the bathroom was ok and although the kitchen was a bit old it still looked ok. So was the living room. No we had no complains what so ever about it and then the view.... wonderful. The only thing .. the breakfast room is a bit small. and they could have put an extra microwave in it, because a lot needs to be heated by it. still a nice woman kept is clean ans stacked up. They people that works there were very nice.
We would stay there again if we come back to the outer banks

Room Tip: Take the highest level, which is number 5. You have then also a nice look over Kill Devils hill and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for giving us a great review, we are always pleased to hear that people enjoyed their stay with us. My staff does their best to go above and beyond to make everyone comfortable and welcomed.

We are renovating this winter, so we are excited to share that we will have new furniture, carpets, drapes and remodeled bathrooms and kitchens. We do hope that you come back and share in the excitement of our new hotel this coming summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla

Been to Best Western Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!