“Great Location”

Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Room was great. Separate bedroom, living room and bathroom. Kitchen with fridge, microwave and stove. View was spectacular! Close to many restaraunts, Wright Brothers National Park, Outer Bank Brewwing etc.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for the great review. We are always appreciative of guests taking the time to let us know what we have done well. I will pass along to our staff the comments.

We are starting renovations in a weeks time and do hope that you will take the time to come back to our hotel and see the great new changes we have in store . Its going to be spectacular .

Again thank you for taking the time and do the review, and do hope to see you again in 2014

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here the last weekend of October for 2 nights with my husband and 2 girls (9 and 11). It was super clean, which is my number one must for a hotel. Our room was on the 4th floor and faced the ocean with a fabulous view. The hotel is right on the ocean and somewhat secluded but very close to restaurants, shopping, and the Wright Brothers Memorial National Park. Yes, the decor was old as other reviewers have pointed out, but for a 2-night stay I don't really care about popcorn ceilings and 80s-style cabinetry. There were 2 double beds in the bedroom, which were comfortable and clean with updated bedding. There was a double murphy bed in the living room, again comfortable and clean. The living room also had a nice table with 4 chairs, a sofa and 2 chairs. There was a large flat screen TV on the wall in the living room and the same in the bedroom. The kitchen had a refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven, sink, and plates/dishes etc. The staff was very friendly. The continental breakfast was better than some we've had. I chose not to include photos because our room looked exactly as pictured on the hotel website. I would definitely recommend this for a small family staying for a long weekend.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, but if you stay on the first floor, the view may be blocked by the dun...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate when guests take the time to let us know when we have done something right. I love to pass these on to my staff, we so often just hear the bad so its always nice to hear compliments.

I do hope that you will come see us next spring, when we have completed our renovations. We are about to undertake a major renovation and are very excited about the pending out come.

Again please accept my thank you , and do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel October 2013. We got a suite of rooms, kitchenette, king bedroom, and a living room with a balcony and a view of the ocean that was absolutely breathtaking (the view not the room). The room was on the 3rd floor and when we were approaching the room door I said oh boy smell that perfumey smell. I opened the door and walking onto a tile floor and there was something slippery (cleaning product) all over the floor I went flying and fell. I walked around the rooms and it appeared to be nice it had a HEAVY perfume smell. Either they were using a cheap cleaning product or maybe someone had smoked in the room and they were trying to cover it up. I called the front desk to complain I fell on the floor that had this oily substance all over it and I was told "I am the only one at the front desk besides the manager and housekeeping went home for the night". So I said so it I ok to have one of your guest fall? so she came up and cleaned the floor with a rag and her foot. not even a mop and bucket. So after she left I still ice skated acrossed that floor and I went into the living room to sit on the couch and when I got up I had that same oily substance all over my pants. I packed up my things and went to the Ramada Inn and got a great room there even though it did not have an ocean view the room was very very nice and CLEAN. so I was able to get my money back but it didn't seem like they really cared that I fell and the room stunk. There loss not mine.

3  Thank Debra C

Sorry we did not meet your standards and expectations. I will look into what happened with housekeeping and the front desk person tomorrow when they return at 3.

I do hope that your fall did not resort in anything serious, please do call me to discuss this, since I do not have access to your real name, I would like to get more details.

Please believe me, when I say this is not the standard for which I operate a hotel, and I do not accept housekeeping not cleaning a room properly.

Again please except my apologies and do hope to hear from you soon about your experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Our son recently moved to Durham, North Carolina and we took him and his wife to the Ocean Reef Suites Best Western at the Outer Banks. We had excellent service. Thanks to Carrie we had a great room with a view and easy access to the beach as well as the pool and hot tub. We had a suite with a kitchen and separate bedroom which was perfect for a family trip. Connie, the attendant at the free breakfast gave us information that allowed us to have an extraordinary experience at the Orville and Wilbur Wright Memorial despite the government shutdown!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your great feedback. I will pass along to my staff your comments. We appreciate your business, and glad that you had a great time.

We love to hear when we have done something right, and we strive to make sure that all of our guests are safe, happy and comfortable. We do hope to see you again soon, and do hope you will come back next summer to see our new improvements.

Have a great day, and see you soon .

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The room we were given was one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. Doors were missing from the cabinets, the room had a very unpleasant odor. When we sat on the sofa we realized it was damp as my entire backside was wet. Same with the carpet, we had to keep our shoes on at all times as it was also wet. I have to say the complimentary breakfast was wonderful but that was the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

1  Thank Chris K
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I dearly apologize for not meeting your needs during your stay with us.

I have looked into what happened, and personally went into the room you stayed, I did not see any missing cabinets, I will definitely call you on Wednesday to discuss this matter so I can definitely get this taken care of. I am sorry I was not made aware of any issues while you were at the hotel. I would have made every effort to ensure you were moved, and appropriate action taken.

We are starting Nov 1 to under go extensive renovations, to include remodeling kitchens, bathrooms, and replacing all carpets, furniture and replace sliding glass balcony doors. If you would like to give us another try next year after renovations please contact me directly to ensure that everything meets your needs.

Again, I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I chose this hotel for a couple of nights to explore a little of the Outer Banks and the Wright Brothers Memorial (closed due to government shut down).
Although the hotel is not in its first flush of youth the accommodation is more than adequate at a fair price. Apart from the howling wind, not the hotel's fault, my room on the fifth floor facing the ocean is very quiet and it is not every day that a pelican flies by your window.
I asked advice from the desk clerk on a good place to eat and with a few well thought out questions she was able to recommend a restaurant to suit my needs which I have eaten at twice. It was a good recommendation and was confirmed by its rating in trip adviser.

Room Tip: If you can manage to get an upper floor room with an ocean view you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for the great review, it was our pleasure to have you visit with us. We apologize that you did not get to see the sights due to govt shut down. We do hope that if you find yourself this way again you will come back for another visit.

It is always a pleasure to hear the positive messages from our guests, my staff goes above and beyond to ensure guests are happy and welcomed. I will pass on your comments.

We will be rejuvenating our hotel this winter, new living rooms, kitchens and baths. We are excited about it, and we can share our new look with you in the near future.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Almost two years ago I decided to go spend some time on the Atlantic Ocean. I had only seen the Atlantic twice, once when I was two young to remember, and another time the year before up in Canada, so I was excited to see how it is in America, and more specifically in the area where an ancestor of mine was rumored to have disappeared in either a shipwreck or a pirate attack. I found an excellent deal on a bargain hotel site although I had to reserve my room blindly. After a long trip from the Midwest with only two overnight stops, we finally pulled up to our destination after the sun had fallen for the night. We checked in and went up to our room on the fourth floor. I was shocked at how much room we had. I don't know if all rooms are like that but ours had a separate bedroom, small kitchen, full bathroom, and a decent sized living room with a deck overlooking the ocean. The view was breathtaking! In fact, the suite was so nice that we overlooked the fact that it was very dated. Don't get me wrong, we are low maintenance so we need don't need brand new furniture, drapes, etc. but it certainly hadn't been updated since the 80s. Even so, the place was spotless and well taken care of. (I have read they have since updated everything).

We went in March so it was still pretty chilly at night but the low occupancy allowed us to get an excellent rate. We actually like chilly weather so were happy to sleep with windows open but the bedroom faced out towards a communal walkway. We are not the paranoid type but it is an added comfort to have one less thing to worry about. You can imagine how psyched we were to find a murphy bed in the living room. We basically just used the bedroom to store our luggage and the living room also turned into the bedroom, sliding door stayed open at night, and the sound of the ocean waves soothed us to sleep.

I am also not the early rising type but when the sun came up and shone directly into our faces, I couldn't help but get up and enjoy the million dollar view (followed shortly by closing the curtains and getting some more sleep).

The location is absolutely perfect. It is a short walk to the Wright Brothers memorial and is near several restaurants (although most had not opened for the season yet). It is also a short drive to enjoy some scenic lighthouses, sand dunes, and bit of a longer but enjoyable drive to get to Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke Island.

Breakfast is about what you would imagine and I can't comment on much else because we didn't need any additional help from the staff. We have spoken several times about going back and this hotel is our preferred lodging although the normal rates look like they are 2-3 times as much as what we paid through the bargain booking site. I would imagine for most people going during peak season, that would be well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank your for your great review. We love to hear when we are doing a great job, the staff takes great pride in making sure that every guest is welcomed and comfortable.

I will pass on your comments to the staff, and do hope that you will visit us again. We are in the renovation process, and by next spring will have new furniture, drapes, new kitchens and bathrooms. You will love what we are doing and we are excited to show it off when we are completed.

Again thank you for your great review, come visit with us again, we love to have you

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla

Been to Best Western Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!