“Worst and Cheep Tricks they play”

Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boyds, Maryland
“Worst and Cheep Tricks they play”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked the reservation for our wedding anniversary month and half in advance for an ocean view and paid the regular price with out any discounts. Just before 3 days they called me and said renovation etc and moved me to different room where there is no ocean view, knowingly you cant book else where just before 3 days in this season.

The staff is crappy and they just do these things and just all the lies for business. This is completely 3rd rated hotel I have ever seen, unprofessional management.

My sincere advise don't ever book to this hotel

Room Tip: Never book this hotel, staff lies about the renovations etc..don't believe
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ChakriK
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
I am sorry you feel that something sneaky went on, unfortunately as anyone would understand and everyone else understood, we are at the mercy of the county building inspector opening and closing room availability. We did not have notice that there was any issues with the oceanfront rooms until yesterday May 6 2014. We called to explain to you before your reservation there was an issue. We tried out best to accommodate you and all other guests that were affected. I am sorry you do not understand that some times things happen which are out of our control.

We have tried out best, and sometimes that is all we can do.

Again, I am sorry, and do hope you will come back sometimes in the near future when this renovation is beyond us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Chocowinity
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hotel needs complete makeover. They are doing some renovations now, but with the amount of work it needs, should probably just tear it down and build a new one. Rail on upper balcony is loose and held on by 1 screw at our room. Dirty room and just old..worth about $50 a night tops.

2 Thank Jimmy R
I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay, I was out of the country and not available be here for your stay . I am not sure what happened, but I do appreciate that you took the time to let me know you had an issue, although on trip advisor, but that is ok as well. I will investigate your situation, and I will get back with you once I have found out what happened.

I do apologize for your inconvenience, we are doing a complete renovation, and we are still in that process.

Please feel to contact me at bestwesternoceanreefsuites@gmail.com to discuss this situation further.

Again so sorry you were not happy
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My stay started with a call to the hotel the night before arrival. I spoke with Dennis who was very nice to talk to and he worked hard to find me a great room and it was! The view was awesome and the room was wonderful and clean. The manager checked us in because the girl at the desk was checking in another couple. He told me a lot of things have changed in the last 6 months since he came to this location. If you haven't been here lately. I would give them another chance. We were very happy. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to give us a review on trip advisor. We have a new Assistant Manager a the hotel, his name is Bill Grace, and he has been a wonderful help to not just myself but to the hotel in general. His attitude and knowledge and guest contact skills are exceptional and the benefits both myself and the hotel will have with him on our team is limitless.

We are glad you stayed with us, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We do hope to see you again soon.
Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We traveled from northern NY to the Outer Banks, NC and stayed her 2 non-consecutive nights because our first night, though not perfect, was made much better by the great staff! Natalie, at check-in, was terrific and found us the best rate! The hotel has all suites, for the two of us, we didn't really need all that room and ability to sleep 8-9, but it was a pleasure to have all that room! The hotel is undergoing a major renovation and our room had not yet been done, but the upper floors have great views and the third floor, where the hot full breakfast is served in a large room, there is a great view of the Wright Brothers Memorial at Kitty Hawk.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review on trip advisor. I am not sure who Natalie I am assuming you are talking about Ashley who is a great addition to our new team here. She brings a smile and helpful attitude with her when she comes on property and everyone loves her. We have a great new staff here and the benefits of it are starting to show, and we will only get better with all the new additions.

The renovations, although are moving slowly they are progressing, we are dealing with some delays in shipments, but the feedback that we are getting from the people that is staying is great and we do hope that you will come back again stay with us if you find yourself in the outerbanks again .

See you soon
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The place is in the process of renovation so be prepare to accept the outcome. The hot-tub need update and kitchen appliances are to. Stayed there 4 days and was never greeted by the other staffs besides the front desk rep.

Room Tip: Wait til the renovation is complete.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
I am so sorry we did not meet your needs during your stay with us. I am not sure the other staff members did not greet you, I do know that we do have some new staff although not an excuse, but it does take the new staff a bit to get used to everything going on. The renovations of course are needed and we are addressing the issues, not sure what is going on with the hot tub, as it was closed until yesterday. But I will definitely investigate the situation and appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

I am sorry that the renovations did impact your stay, and I do hope that you will contact me back at bestwesternoceanreefsuites@gmail.com and allow me to discuss with you further. Again thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I will ensure they are looked into immediately and addressed accordingly.

Thank you and hope to talk to you soon
West Helena, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We had a nice time at the hotel. Good view of the beach. Had a trail you walk down to get there. Not to far though. After it got dark we went back out with flashlights to look for ghost crabs. The kids had so much fun they were running everywhere,the crabs and the boys ! We had a blast!

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Mjowl
We are glad that you and your boys and our ghost crabs had a blast on the beach while you stayed.

We scheduled the crabs to come out and play that night, we are glad you enjoyed it !!!!!

We do hope you and your family come back again and see us, we all look forward to it

See you soon
Davenport, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Excellent hotel, quiet and the view is great. We had been on the road for 6 days and 9 states and had stayed at many hotels of different hotel chains, and I can honestly say I liked many of them, but Ocean Reef Suites would be my first choice when in that area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Irene S
We are excited to hear you had a great time while visiting with us at the beach during your stay. My staff has been doing an excellent job in ensuring each and every guest is happy and that the renovations are having little impact.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Best Western Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!