“Great Bargain for Off Season Rates”

Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

When I stayed here in April, they were going through renovations. The first few days I stayed in a non renovated room. It was dated but clean. The second half of the trip, they moved me to a renovated room. It was much nicer; but, I have to say that the contractor they hired didn't do the best job. The bathroom door didn't close. The plumbing for the sink was over cut in the wall and not covered. Outlet covers were not changed, paint on the floor, and other minor details. As far as breakfast, the lady running it was terrific. Location: great access to the beach; beautiful views. I will stay here again if I come across a great rate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CCB_Vacationer
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

I am sorry that your room was not completed, we have had to go back and re do some work that was not completed properly. I am sorry that you experienced this situation. I can assure you that we have now redone the work on the 5th floor and 4th floor and are almost completed on the third. We do hope that you will come back and see us, we have now completed these rooms and the look is great.

Again we hope to see you come back again and visit us should you find yourself in the Outer banks again

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Was excellent-was some construction going on, but it not negatively effect our stay here. Many of the motels were doing the same. IN fact, we chose to stay at Best Western because where we had stayed fro several years was doing construction & the noise was unbearable. Staff was excellent-very helpful & courteous. But you are warned about this on he internet site. . The staff was exceptionally helpful & cheerful.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your kind words about your stay with us. We have tried our very best to make a bad situation as good as possible, unfortunately we have had major delays during this process. When you are completing an extensive renovation and complete over haul, delays do happen unfortunately. We are now completed on the 5th and 4th floors and almost completed on the 3rd floor, we will be completing our lower two floors in October, and we are very excited about our new look.

We do hope to see you back again, and show you the great new look we are taking on. Its been a long road but we are sure that everyone will enjoy and love the new look and feel.

We have great staff now, made some changes in that, so no staff, and new look means happier guests.

Again thank you for stay and see you soon .

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived Sat eve having reserved a high level seafront view direct with hotel 6 weeks ago. We only discovered the down grade on the form at check-in, The reception staff couldn't explain why they not emailed us. (No cell phone, had travelled from uk, but had WiFi)
The ground floor room they gave us had no view- a huge dune in front and was clearly overdue for renovation.On our request the reception staff rang around other hotels, but it was too late to find suitable alternative. We can't help but think that managers are relying on this to keep the substandard rooms full,leaving reception staff to deal with disappointed clients. We checked out 2 days early to find another location. On departure we received an appology and price reduction. I expect when the refurb is complete it will be a lovely destination, but we won't have another opportunity to come back to see, and the hotels handling of this situation leaves its reputation in tatters.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank necstour

I am so sorry that your room was not the view that you wanted. We did unfortunately run into renovations delays after delays. We do however now have the upper two floors complete and the third floor well on its way to being completed. We will be completing the lower two floors in October to avoid anymore guest inconveniences. I am sorry no one contacted you in advance and we have and are in the process of sending out gift certificates for each and every person that this has effected offering a free night. I know you said you wont have the opportunity to come back but should you do and the offer has expired please contact me directly at cwilliams@oceanreefouterbanks.com and I will be more then glad to honor you particular gift certificate at a later date.

Please again accept our deepest apologies and we do hope that you will come back to see us again soon .

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My elderly parents had reservations to come spend the Memorial Day weekend, next weekend. They received a call yesterday telling them that the town had made them renovate a number of rooms and their reservation was cancelled. There was no offer to help them find another place to stay, no offer of a later stay or anything helpful! This is a terrible way to do business. I'm not sure why my parents even like this hotel, other than the location! I have always found it to be very lacking in cleanliness and upkeep and if the town thinks they need to renovate right at Memorial Day...I have to think there is some other underlying cause than simple renovations!

4  Thank Brenda M
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I apologize that you feel that we did not do enough for you, and apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately it is something that is out of our control and this was not something that we anticipated happening. We experienced contractor delays, and delays with the county inspectors signing off on the electrical work.

We have offered all our guests other accommodations, and some chose to seek accommodations elsewhere. All guests were offered to come back to stay at a different time but most were coming for memorial day weekend and that was not an option. I am not sure who you spoke to prior to putting up this comment on trip advisor, but had you spoken to me directly as other guests have I would have made any arrangements you had needed to ensure you had a great vacation somewhere else.

Its unfortunate that when renovating or rebuilding, we do run into delays in shipments of items from manufacturers, to contractor delays in getting items completed in a timely fashion, to just plain unforeseen circumstances.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, except for a small few guests, everyone has been understanding and accepting of the unforeseen circumstances.

If you wish to contact me back at bestwesternoceanreefsuites@gmail.com to discuss this further please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I made a reservation with this hotel back in March for a trip I was supposed to take next week. I had returned home from work around 6pm to find a message from this hotel on my answering machine saying "there was a problem with my reservation" and to call them by 5pm. I couldn't imagine what it could be as I had called and confirmed my reservation with them last week. I was informed that due to some sort of permit mistake on their part that the local government had ordered them to close most of the hotel (all the ocean front side). The man I was talking to said they lost 3 floors of rooms and therefore my reservation was cancelled. No offer to transfer my reservation elsewhere. Nothing! Just "oops, our bad, but there is nothing we can do and your reservation was cancelled." Do you know how hard it is to find a new reservation a week before Memorial Day!

I strongly advise everyone to avoid this hotel. They did nothing to solve the issue, offered no later stay. Nothing. I am furious! I had been looking forward to this vacation for 2 months!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Charlene R
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I apologize that you feel that you were treated unfairly, and unprofessional. We had tried several times to contact you and you never returned any messages left, we were very concerned that if we did not get hold of you by a certain time, that you would show up and we would not have anything in the area available for you . It was not our intension to insult or mismanage you. It was out of concern to ensure you were informed. Unfortunately after leaving several message on your phone that went unreturned, we were left with not other alternative but to leave a final message to let you know of the situation. It would have been our preference to have spoken to you directly rather then leaving the message.

Again this was something out of our control, if you would like to call the hotel at 252-441-1611 we will be more then happy to assist with giving names and numbers of hotels that are helping us accommodate our displaced guest.

Again we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have to agree with the person who wrote the review "Worst and Cheep Tricks they play". Made reservations in December for two ocean view suites in May and later added a third room. Received a call 72 hours before arrival that our rooms were downgraded to first floor without ocean view. Since we're not the first ones that this has happened to, it appears that this is the norm for this hotel. Even though we will end up staying at the downgraded rooms for this stay, we will never again book at a Best Western hotel.
The excuses that management are using are unacceptable, since this is a known issue.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Herbert E
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

I apologize to you for the inconvenience, this is NOT the normal procedures at this hotel as other reviews show. The person you are referring to has had their reviews from Best Western removed because they have NEVER stayed at or had a reservation at our hotel. This was a made up review.

Unfortunately as explained prior, this was out of our hands, we called every single customer . We are awaiting occupancy permits for the top floors, which at the time did not realize that we needed them. These permits are to arrive this week, but unfortunately we did not have the ability to make it happen any faster, I am sorry you got caught up in the confusion, we had made other arrangements at other top of the line hotels, to accommodate any person that did not want to be down graded to the room types we had available. You choose to down grade rather then be moved. We offered discounts on all rooms, and are offering discounts on all rooms, and we are giving BW rewards points to guests to allow them a free night certificate from Best Western. Unfortunately, I was out of town with a family emergency when all this happened. My staff has done their best to accommodate something that was out of our control. Unfortunately this does happen from time to time, its unfortunate for the bad timing. Sorry you could not understand the situation we were put in, but we did accommodate as best we could.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Friendly, attentive and helpful staff. Great 5th floor oceanfront room and great ocean view from balcony. Breakfast not very good. Undergoing 3rd floor renovations but didn't pose any problems for us.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments with us and trip advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry we didn't rate a 5 but we are hoping that you will return again next season and hopefully we can win that 5 rating from you.

By then the renovation mess will be behind us, and we can move into a more positive experience for everyone. Thank you again for the review, and look forward to seeing you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Best Western Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!