“Dirty room”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Dirty room”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

It is so sad to see this place in such poor condition as the location is great. I know you are under renovation. Should have happened years ago. Our room was dirty with many bugs dead on the floor. We arrived late at nite and just too tired to wait for the room to be properly cleaned. Furniture and carpet were disgusting. Never again!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gaylyne M
Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I am sorry we did not meet your needs during your visit with us, I am looking into the cleanliness issues and will be discussing this with the housekeeping staff. I am sorry that this was not brought to my attention until now, please feel free to contact me directly to discuss these issues so I can look into this further and make sure that the corrective action is taken to ensure this never happens again.

Again thank you for bringing to my attention, and look forward to speaking to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We have been staying at BWOR for over 20 years. So obviously, we (used to) love this property.

This year we were excited to see the renovated rooms. We arrived about 1PM and our room wasn't ready. So we went grocery shopping. We bought about $130 of groceries, returned about 3PM and were able to go up to our room. We were totally floored by the "improvements"

First, the kitchen/bath floor and counters looked like a powdered sugar donut. The work crew was hanging pictures (so we were told). Apparently, nobody told the work crew to not leave a mess. My wife went down to the front desk - shortly thereafter a housekeeper appeared and vacuumed. We had already cleaned the counters ourselves.

Second, the "kitchen" now has a nice deep sink and apartment size fridge (something they have needed for years) - BUT only has a microwave. No more stove. WHY do you need a big fridge if you don't have a stove? DUH!!! They also removed virtually all the storage in the kitchen and no longer provide plates, silverware, etc. The renovation was a huge step backwards. BWOR TOTALLY MISSED THE MARK. Sad to say, given the lack of a stove, BWOR is now overpriced for what you get. There are cheaper properties that have the same "kitchen" setup - or a real kitchen with a stove.

Much of the renovation workmanship in the room was, to be kind, poor, not to mention downright dangerous. Walls with only one (splotchy) coat of paint. Closet doors that don't operate properly. A slippy tub with one inadequate grab bar (thankfully, we had our own bathmat) and electrical switch plates with huge gaps and sticking out far enough that fingers could easily slip where they shouldn't. I could go on with a whole laundry list. But to be fair, maybe BWOR hasn't gone around and done a punch list with the contractors to correct the sloppy stuff - but the safety issues should have been dealt with before renting the room.

The groceries we bought? About half of them got pitched - we couldn't really prepare any meals in the room. We gave about 3 lbs of hamburger to one of the housekeepers rather than let it go to waste. We ended up eating out A LOT more than we had planned (thank goodness for the excellent deli across the street) - which hit our budget fairly hard.

We can no longer, in good conscience recommend this property to anyone doing an "extended stay", travelling with children, folks with limited mobility or anyone wanting to be able to prepare meals in the room. After 20+ years, this was quite probably the last time we will stay at BWOR. We've starting looking at other properties or may rent a condo for our future trips.

About here is where I expect Cindy (the GM for BWOR) to reply with "I'm sorry you didn't contact me or my staff..." OH, BUT WE DID!!!!! On day ONE - We specifically asked the desk clerk (a young man with dark hair) to have Cindy contact us (we were there for 10 days - plenty of time). Either he never left the message, she never got the message or she ignored the message - take your pick - any one of those explanations is totally unacceptable. When we checked out - the desk clerk (she was blonde) didn't even ask if we had enjoyed our stay... good thing too - we would have given her an earful.

Room Tip: If you want a good room for an extended stay or just want a kitchen with a stove - try another hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brian D
I apologize that you did not like our renovations, we have gotten a lot of great feedback from guest. We did have issues with the contractors, and after two different contractors not being able to get the job completed we have had to have one of our maintenance guys go room to room and touch up a punch list. Unfortunately in this area good contractors are very few and fare between, and we have to bring them in from out of town and rely on them to do their jobs. Its a very difficult situation. We did have delays in artwork and unfortunately we did have to go behind and clean up after them.

We are removing the stoves completely from the rooms, we unfortunately did not have enough guests that actually used them, we did a survey of past guests and the majority of them stated a bigger fridge and larger microwave would be better. Its unfortunate as we know there are the few that prefer the stoves.

Sorry for your inconvenience had you spoken to me while at the property I would have been more then happy to have reimbursed you for the food. I have spoken to all my desk staff and no one knows of any messages left for you to speak to me. I have reimbursed several people for the food inconvenience and would have done the same for you. The implication that I did chose to ignore you is unfounded and untrue, I speak with guests daily good and bad. It does not do me any good to ignore .

We are sorry we don't meet your needs any further, as we do understand removing the stoves was going to be a huge impact to the few small group of customers.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Not a bad place to stay with grandkids. 2 Beds in bedroom and a bed drops down from the wall in living room. Continental breakfast is fine if you're a light eater. My fiance didn't like the sausage gravy. He prefers eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cindy W, General Manager at Best Western Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I am sorry you didn't eggs and bacon, we do that every other day, we try to change up the meals so that you are not eating the same thing every day. If you should find your way to the outerbanks again and join us. Ask Connie for some bacon and eggs, she will be more then happy to whip you some up, we want everyone to enjoy breakfast , its the most important meal of the day.

We thank you for your review, and we do hope that you will stay with us again.
Chesapeake
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Booked suite last minute for a family get away. Plenty of room for the family, suite was clean and as described. Direct access to the beach. Pool was clean, hot tub jets didn't seem to be working properly, but water was hot. Breakfast area was cramped, but food was fine. Overall, we liked the hotel and would stay again. Only wish there had been a snack bar at the pool for drinks.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Well we are glad to say that a snack bar is going to be installed at the pool next summer and music entertainment. We just didn't have enough time to get everything done we wanted too, but it will be done next year.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we do hope you will come back for another trip to the beach with us.

You wont be disappointed
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I've been traveling to the Outer Banks since I was born. I typically stay further down the beach around MP 15 but I waited too long to reserve a room and decided to give the Ocean Reef a try. I was a bit nervous after reading some of the negative reviews, but this is a nice property. I have a 4th floor oceanfront room with a lovely balcony (I never stay in OBW without an oceanfront balcony). Room is clean and recently renovated. Lots of space; suites would be great for folks with children as there is a separate sitting area away from the bedrooms. I haven't been to the pool yet, but it looks quite nice and seems like there are ample chaise lounges. Check-in was smooth; front desk staff was personable. Not quite sure what expectations some visitors with negative reviews had, but I'm not seeing any issues. Totally on-par with other OBX hotels.

Room Tip: Def. pay for oceanfront with balcony. Well worth the money!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sara A
Thank you so much for taking the time to let other travelers know your experience at our hotel. We are still putting the finishing touches on the rooms, new drapery lamps and bedding have not arrived yet. But the new rooms look great.

We are glad you stopped by and stayed and do hope that when you find your way back to the beach that you will come back and give us another chance to get to know you .

Again, we thank you very much for the time you took on this review
Newport News, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Bad news for those who appreciate chance to cook meal in privacy of an ocean front room...hotel was clearly distinguished by in room cooking facilities...great staff...clean all around...no prior notification of this decision...brings them down to level of all other hotel/motels in outer banks...too bad...

2 Thank David P
I am sorry to say that we did remove the stoves from the units this season on the third fourth and fifth floors. Right now the dune and pool side rooms still have the stoves., but come October they will be gone as well.

We did a survey and the majority of the guests that have stayed in the past didn't care if the stoves were there or not, and the cost to upkeep them was not cost effective anymore. We did however update the kitchens with full apartment size fridges, and a larger microwave.

Sorry we don't have the facilities that you are needing on vacation, but we do have an all suite location versus the others with just a room for same price.

Hope you reconsider and come back again next year
Midlothian
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I typically rent a house for my week in OBX but I wanted to travel last minute so I ended up with this location through a Hotwire deal. Certainly not a 3 hotel. It was all average room, view of a dune, service, etc. substantially outdated for the price. Will not return to this location unless there are major renovations.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 612Dee
I am sorry you didn't feel we met your needs during your stay, I only wish you had brought to my attention. Unfortunately when you book through Hotwire or any of the online travel sites, you are not getting the rooms with the views.

But the good news is in October we will be upgrading the lower two floors, we just renovated our 3 4 5 floors and we will be completely remodeling the lower two floors in the fall. We just ran out of time with construction delays etc.

So we do hope you will give us another chance, call the hotel directly you will get a better choice of views.

Please do give us another chance to show you the renovated rooms,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,402 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla

Been to Best Western Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!