“Love, love this hotel!!!!”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Richmond, Virginia
“Love, love this hotel!!!!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here during the off, off season and it was great! I booked the long weekend (1/24 - 1/27/2014) through Groupon at a fantastic price. I made the reservation in September 2013 so had several months to worry and stew about my decision. I sure am glad I didn't cancel the reservation!! I think we've found a new "favorite place" to stay when visiting the Outer Banks! The room was fairly spacious, extremely clean, very nice breakfast, super friendly staff and absolutely cute property. Although it was too chilly to use it, there was a private covered porch facing the ocean with two adirondack chairs that would be great in nicer weather......just sit there sipping wine/whatever and listening to the waves..... The only thing between Shutters and the ocean are dunes and beach. There is a cute pavillion overlooking the ocean, we did not use the indoor pool, but observed some kids having a wonderful time swimiming and splashing. Every window in every room has plantation shutters - hence the name "Shutters on the Banks." All in all, this is a great place to stay - I can't say enough good things! Will return for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Towers - room 228. Had a great view but I'm sure 3rd and 4th floor view is eve...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VirginiaPam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Elizabeth City, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Came with entire family to celebrate grandson birthday. He said he wanted to go to a motel with a pool. The kids loved the pool & hottub. It was not crowded in fact at one time we had pool arear to ourselves. Rooms clean & the breakfast was nice. We have stayed here before and will return. Family played on beach as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donnie S
New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent two nights here between Christmas and New Years and found this a very pleasant stay. The Room was clean and adequate, bed comfortable. The Staff is extremely friendly and accommodating.......even the Cleaning Staff were friendly and pleasant when we passed in the walkway! The Hotel has a nice indoor pool. The "enhanced" continental breakfast was well stocked and breakfast area very clean and comfortable. We would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bristolboys
Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I was expecting Shutters to be a dive and was pleasantly surprised it was a great place. The room was very nice and updated, they offer breakfast but I know a great place so I opted out but is nice if you have a family and there is a budget. My husband and step-son enjoyed the indoor pool all to themselves, I stayed in the comfort of the room and read. The next morning went took a walk down to the gazebo that overlooks the ocean and it was beautiful and refreshing. We took some beautiful pictures and then had to say good-bye until next time. I will surely stay here again.

Room Tip: We wre down for the seafood festival so if you are going when something like that is going on BOOK E...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lola M
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Shutters is located in the middle of Kill Devil Hills, which is a great location. Rooms were super clean, and we had no real problems. Tower rooms have a private balcony on 2-4, or a patio on the ground floor. It's a very nice hotel, with a short walk to the ocean. They have an indoor heated pool and hot tub (although it appeared to be out of service this time) that are usually open year-round. Free wireless that actually works.

The only things I can find fault with, was that in the tower (2nd floor) you can hear the plumbing from above fairly easily. I personally think the beds are rather firm and the pillows are had too (I keep forgetting to bring my own pillows), but I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable. Also the tv has a ton of extra channels programmed that have nothing on them. And in the tower rooms, the bathroom (the part with the commode and bathtub) is tiny, but I find that to be a minor thing.

All in all, its a great place to stay in the Outer Banks.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the top 2 floors of the tower. Elevator is close by, and top 2 floors have ocean view...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nichodemus
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The girls and I had a wonderful time staying here for our girls weekend away. I had lucked out and found this on Groupon and jumped at the chance! The location is great (even though the weather didn't co-operate, it would be killer in the spring and summer)! The rooms were great, the people were super friendly and helpful! The breakfast was great (even their coffee was great)!! I will be sure to put this on my favorites list for when we go back!!

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, the second floor or above is better. But we had one on the first floor a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Leslie S
MKellySmith, Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for letting Shutters be part of your Girls Weekend. We do hope to see you come again in the summer. Happy Holidays!
East Liverpool, Ohio
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights..rooms were clean beds were very comfortable...plenty of pillows..bathroom was outdated..a little mold around the tub but price was just right..close walk to the beach.breakfast was okay ..waffles were good

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nina993
MKellySmith, Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for posting. Your reviews are very important to us. I am glad that you had a good nights sleep with us. We welcome all feed back from our guests. Your comments only help us to make the stays better for our future guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!