“Saved our vacation!”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Shutters was recommended to us by Pam and Susan at the Colington Cafe after we expressed dissatisfaction over another property. We took one look and were sold. Beautiful beach, gazebo and rooms. The staff and the owner made us feel welcome and went the extra mile to salvage our vacation. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: May 2014
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Vanare,

Thank you for the very nice review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to turn your vacation around. I will have to send a thank you to the people at the Colington Cafe for recommending our hotel to you. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

John Zellers

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We spent one night here because we could get a 4th floor room with a balcony, looking out to the ocean. It was a lovely view. The room furnishings looked a little tired, could truly use an update.
It was clean, Only the 1st & 3rd floors had an ice machine in the hallway, that we could see. We were unable to change the TV station that was annoying. Also annoying, was the very noisy air conditioner, it was very loud and turned on and off frequently. Access to the beach was great.

Dear Rosemary A,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your time with us. We strive to ensure that every guest has a clean room and a pleasant stay and I am sorry that we feel short of that goal. Again please accept my apologies and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Is a great place to stay!! Staff is great and the rooms are too !! We would stay there again !! We were there 4 days and loved it. If you're in the area of Kill Devil Hills N. C. check it out, you won't go wrong!! We will be back!! We stayed in the towers on the second floor and had a little view over the dunes and saw the water, it is ocean front. If you could get up to the 3rd the view would be GREAT !! And the breakfast is wonderful, lots to choose from on the free breakfast bar and.

Room Tip: 3rd floor or up in the tower gives you a wonderful view !!!

Dear AEF45,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was the 1st time we stayed at the Shutters. We stayed 7 nights. We have been going to the Outer Banks for over 25 years and unfortunately the place we usually stay at closed. We definitely will be staying at the Shutters again. The staff was great. We had talked to one of the owners and they still have more renovations. The continental breakfast was nice but they need more room to sit. They are in the process of adding an outside area, but what happens when it rains? The pools were ok. They need more chairs. The inside pool was very humid in the building. The rooms were very good, but only had one chair to sit on, otherwise you had to sit on the bed. The bathroom area was great. The gazebo was nice and sits on top of the dunes. Great access to the beach.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend the 2nd floor if you stay in the building that has the...

Dear Gregory C,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your comments on ways we can improve our hotel. We are in the process of making improvements to the property and hope to have everything completed soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We travelled all the way from Colorado to visit the Outer Banks and attend a family wedding June 7,2014. Our stay at Shutters was most pleasant the staff from the front desk to the morning breakfast crew made for a very personal stay. The property offers great value for the price and certainly a property I would enthusastically return to for a future stay. The beach concession which
rents beach umbrellas and chairs is to be noted as well. Good access to a nearby convenience store with all sort of goodies...TWS

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Terry S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that you had a safe journey home. I appreciate the very nice comments regarding the staff and hotel and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We just returned from 4 nights at Shutters and mostly enjoyed our time there. The hotel lobby is gorgeous! After checking in and seeing it, I was disappointed a little when seeing the room. It was clean but very basic. However, it was spotless. We had 3 unpleasant issues. There were flies in the room. However, it must be a common problem as I went to the front desk to ask about them and was told they could give me a fly swatter. Then they discovered they had given all the fly swatters out. So there was nothing they could do. Basically just told me they have alot of flys so get used to it. It was very uncomfortable to have to swat flies all the time in the room. I couldn't use a cup because they were lighting on the rim. One time, DH found one floating around in his coke.

The matresses were the worst I've ever slept on - so soft you were buried in the mattress and had to literally roll in and out. Also, they were building an addition to the front of the hotel and sawed and hammered until 10:00 pm one night.

Perhaps this is the custom in OBX, but I've never encountered it in Florida or the Caribbean.
Shutters did not provide beach chairs or umbrellas for their guests. They had to be rented at $29 per day from an outside vendor operating on their property.

However, the hotel is in a very convenient location, was directly on the beach and was very reasonably priced. I loved the gazebo on the boardwalk to the beach access.

We checked out the breakfast offerings on the first morning but it was basically continental breakfast and very crowded, so we did not eat at the hotel any of our 4 days. Due to the issues above, We will probably check out other accommodations on out next visit.

2  Thank pianogal83

Dear pianogal83,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered and for the inconvenience. I will be addressing these issues with the staff and will put steps in place to try and prevent them from happening in the future.

Thank you again for your time and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was nervous booking this place, since it wasn't a chain - I was quickly pleased when we arrived! We went in April and it was still kind of chilly! This was the one of the only places with an indoor pool! We spent so much time there! The sweet lady at the front desk even has toys for the littles when you check in! It was such a sweet surprise, and the staff is so sweet and friendly. I would go back ANY time and look forward to going again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Betsy M,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here and thank you for the very nice comments regarding the staff. I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
1 mi away
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!