“OBX vacation - week of July 4, 2014”

Shutters on the Banks
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Lenoir, North Carolina
“OBX vacation - week of July 4, 2014”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Wonderful experience. Our 10 year old enjoyed both the outdoor and indoor pools. Easy beach access. Very accommodating staff. Breakfast each day was super. Hotel just opened an outdoor dining area. Our family will be back to Shutters on the Banks when we visit OBX again. We felt very safe even when Hurricane Arthur came through. The structure was solid. With the door shut we did not even hear the 80-90 mph wind and rain during the night. High sand dunes protect the hotel from the ocean when bad storms hit. There are several restaurants close by in Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, and Nags Head. We liked staying here because it seemed to be in the center of the OBX and most activities were easily accessible.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean front - above level 2 give the best views of the ocean. You can see above the sa...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephen M
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Stephen M,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us even thought Arthur decided to pay us a visit that week. I look forward to your next visit that will hopefully be hurricane free.

John Zellers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Corapeake, NC
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been staying at this hotel for about 30 years when I visit the Outer Banks and am happy to say not much as changed. This time, we stayed in the Towers and I am converted forever...nice balcony and good size room for my young adult son, husband and myself. The bed was so comfortable and I slept well. The staff was friendly as always. However, I got the sense that they were short on housekeeping staff and when asked on two days, I by-passed full service. It was late in the day and it was clear the staff was ready to go home. The pool was also a little late opening a couple of mornings and there are limited chairs in the pool area. If you don't arrive early, you won't get one! As I return to the OBX, I'll be staying here again. Reasonably priced, nice breakfast included and family environment.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the Tower and want a view of the ocean, book a room on the 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear QVCGIRL,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that we are your hotel of choice in the Outer Banks. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Grottoes, VA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I recently visited the Outer Banks for a wedding and stayed at the Shutters on the Banks based upon Trip Advisor and we were happy with our stay. The room was neat and clean with a nice 32" flat screen, good water pressure and a comfortable bed. Breakfast consisted of make your own waffles, yogurt, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, toast and bagels. They have two buildings, a main building where the lobby is located and an ocean front building, both buildings were located near the pools both indoor and outdoor. The only issue was the main building that we stayed in had no elevator, I am not sure if the ocean front building had one. If this is an issue for you, mention it when you check in.

2 Thank Matt L
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Matt L,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the hotel met your needs. I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

So I loved this hotel had a room by the pool 122 was modern up to date and very very clean the king sized bed was lime a memory foam the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on we stayed on first floor and that was fine keep in mind the dunes are high so if your staying oceanfront the only way to see the ocean would be third or fourth floor otherwise save a few bucks look at the pool oceans in your backyard the staff was great and friendly housekeeping was to location is central so about hour to wild horses hour to ferry will stay again next year

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank android291982
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Jamie S,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your time with us. I look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We recently stayed here the week of June 8, 2014, and we loved it! We stayed in the pool view/King suite. The room was excellent! It was clean, and the bed was the most comfortable we had ever slept in. We enjoyed the convenience of being centrally located on the property. My only issue with the room was that the tub drained slow. Also, if you choose this type of room be aware that music plays in the pool room constantly until the pool closes....however, it did not bother us at all. The hotel also has a veranda/gazebo area where you can relax and look at the ocean. The complimentary breakfast will satisfy your needs, and save you on buying it elsewhere. The staff never walked by me without speaking and asking if I was okay. We will make this place our "go to" spot for sure, and it is centrally located.

1 Thank SweetCountryGirl30
Dear SweetCountryGirl30,

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us. It is always nice to hear what our guests are saying and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Dear SweetCountryGirl2014,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last year, and just booked our stay for this year. We stayed in the Jr Suite & was very happy. You cannot beat the price for the amount of room we had in the suite. The walk to the beach was just down the breezeway & what a view. Spent a sunrise on the beach, then a sunrise on the gazebo. The staff was great and the other travelers we met there were also friendly. A great little place, and a gem in the Outer Banks. We cannot wait for our visit this October!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lisa P,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you returned to us again this year and enjoyed your time here. There is nothing better than a sunrise on beach! Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!