“Lovely”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked this off of trip advisor reviews and it lived up to the expectations. It was great to support a local business and this hotel was a great.. The housekeeping staff was beyond phenomenal, and the room was spotless every day. The views were great. My complaints are very minor, the breakfast was good but would have been better if there was at least one protein on the menu. We were sad that we had bad weather two of the days, we tried to extend our vacation and was told it would cost triple what we initially paid, it was very disappointing and colored our stay a little.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear JennalynF,

Thank you for review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the hotel met your needs. Thank you also for your comments regarding breakfast. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help. I am sorry that we were unable to extend your stay but I hope to see you again in the future.

John Zellers

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here for one night -this was our third and last night of our mini eastern shore motorcycle vacation. Our room was on the first floor behind the staircase!!! I was hoping for a better location room considering I had booked way back in February. Anyway, we enjoyed the outside pool- they also have an inside pool and the free breakfast was simple- no hot/ cooked foods ( no eggs, no bacon etc) only dry foods( cereal, danish, english muffins, bagels), yogurt and some fruit -apples and some kind of melon mix-wish they had bananas. Internet worked well and everything else in the room functioned properly. The hotel has private access to the beach but is not convenient to walk to places (shops and restaurants) on the main road.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 275momof2

Dear 275momof2,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We strive to ensure that every guest has a pleasant stay and an enjoyable time while with us and I am sorry that we fell short of that goal. Please know that room placement is based upon what is available the day you check in and is not based on when you made the reservation. Thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us do that. I hope that you will give us another try in future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Shutters on the Banks on Monday, July 7th until Thursday, July 10th. We were going to stay til the 11th, but sun poisoning sent us home a day earlier. The staff was super nice! Upon checking in, our room wasn't ready, so they told us they would call us when our room was ready, and gave us the password to the indoor pool and everything. Our room was ready about two and a half hours after arriving to OBX. We got to our room, and it was nice. We had a king bed with a dune view, first floor. If you have a dune view room on the first floor, you can't see anything but the dune, so don't expect to see the ocean unless you are on the top floor or something. The bathroom was really small. Our room had a nice flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, sofa, and desk with chair. The only thing that bothered me was that the room was a little bit dated. Seemed to me like they could kinda update it a little bit (carpet, pictures, etc.). Also, there was a few bugs in our room, but it was right near the front door. I guess because we were on the first floor, which is understandable. The cleaning staff was really nice. We had to stay in our room because of my sunburn, but they were very nice and friendly. Upon checking out a day earlier, we did speak to the manager on duty, and she did refund our money back for the one night, so I was really happy about that. I would have loved to have spent another night there, but sun poisoning got the best of me. I would go back again and stay. It was in a great location, close to everything, and the walk to the beach is awesome with their gazebo that they have on property.

Room Tip: If you have a dune view room, make sure to tell them you want to stay above the first floor...otherw...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hondafanatic
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear fiatfanatic,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here in the Outer Banks. Thank you also for your comments regarding the rooms. We started a remodel of the hotel last year and should complete it by Memorial Day of 2015.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My entire family stayed here for our daughter's wedding and couldn't have been happier.. The front desk, the oceanfront views, the breakfast, the rooms, the location, the check-in. The staff was so helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a better view, but lower ones are great for beach access.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Carlen P
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear kenpearl,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Bank. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had a good time at the wedding. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located on the beach and near great restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful and our housekeeper was great too! We went as a couple and noticed that most of the people staying there were families, which was fine, but did not get a chance to visit the hot tub due to children being in there every day/night. However, the beach in front of the hotel was never crowded, which was a great aspect of this location. We will probably be back on next visit!

Stayed: July 2014
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Erinbback,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you did enjoy some of the great food this area has to offer. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My personal opinion is that my room was not worth the price for one night. I have stayed in a lot of different hotels over the years and this was more expensive than some of the finest hotels I have stayed in. Don't get me wrong. The front desk checkin was great. The staff was friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The location was perfect. The view was beautiful. Probably, the most important thing to note is that it is peak season. I thought the price didn't equate to the amenities, but I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. If you don't care about the view get a cheaper room.

Dear Pamm8318,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you felt the hotel was overpriced and did not provided sufficient amenities. As you stated in your review, it is peak season on the Outer Banks and hotels that are ocean front do command a premium price during this time. If you have the flexibility, I would like to suggest visiting during our shoulder months of later September and early October. The weather is still very nice during that time and you will find the prices much more reasonable.

Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is wonderful....great location, great breakfast, close to everything! Terrific for families! Beds were amazing. Love the beach being steps away from our room and pool was wonderful....staff was very helpful!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room at the main building, cheapest rate. Beds were phenomenal!
3  Thank Powells8

Dear Powells8,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us especially the beach. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
1 mi away
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!