Shutters On the Banks
US$152
US$133
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$124
Comfort Inn On The Ocean(Kill Devil Hills)
US$138
US$103
ComfortInn
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$174
BestWestern.com
Outer Banks Inn(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$114
US$152
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$153
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$226
Outer Banks Beach Club(Kill Devil Hills)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Outer Banks Motor Lodge(Kill Devil Hills)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,037 results
All reviewstower buildingindoor poolwaffleshot tubcontinental breakfastboiled eggsdune viewnice gazebosecond floorwaffle makerfloor roomjockey's ridgedefinitely stay here againnice breakfastprivate balconybeach accesswatch the sunrise
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in mid-August 2014. We had a room on the second floor, aptly named a dune view room (but you could still see the sea). The location of the hotel/motel is the main selling factor - it's literally on the beach. And we had a fantastic time using this place as a base to explore the Outer Banks. The beach itself is nice, if not a little crowded - try further south towards Hatteras if you want more solitude.

As naive Brits, we didn't quite realise how popular the area is with American tourists. No problem, though for just over $1,000 for 4 nights we expected a bit more luxury in our room to be honest. Functional, clean and pristine but felt a bit early 2000's decor/appliance wise. Guess you pay for the location at peak time, and not the room fittings etc...

Anyway, we genuinely had a nice time and breakfasts were good too - the usual bagels, waffles and fruit (though the fruit cocktail tasted as if it were tinned). Nice outside dining area; only issue is if it rains there is hardly anywhere to sit. And seems like when it rains, the American tourists enjoy eating copious amounts of waffles and therefore not really freeing the tables up.

Would we stay here again if back in the Outer Banks? Of course. Had a genuinely relaxing time in clean surroundings. Lots of decent restaurants a short drive away too.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Richard B
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Richard B,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us and I hope that you had a good trip back home. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and had chance to explore the Outer Banks. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We decided to come to the beach a day early to try and beat some of the Saturday traffic. We booked a room at Shutters for our Friday night in July. We booked a pool view room for $159. plus taxes/fees...came out to $179.50 total. We had 3 pretty major issues during our stay:

First: Our room ended up being on the ground floor directly across from the entrance to the outdoor pool; one word...noisy. Also, the light at the entrance to the pool was left on all night and it was very bright. The shades on the huge window did nothing to keep the light out of our room.

Second: Our room had an efficiency which would have been great if I had known about it. Nothing was mentioned at the time I booked, that I was booking an efficiency. I could have saved my family money by not eating out for dinner that evening.

Third: About 4 or 5am our AC unit decided to give up the ghost. We cleaned up, packed up and checked out as the temps in the room passed 82 degrees. We left sticky and covered in sweat.

Our room overall was clean and was a good size. The front desk provided excellent service and the ladies were super friendly. The continental breakfast was just like every other continental breakfast. Our stay was very average and I feel in order to have a good or excellent stay, I'd need to shell out more $$$ and the room was already $179.50 for one night.

Room Tip: If you can afford to, definitely choose an oceanfront or at least an oceanview room. Otherwise you will be stuck on the ground floor which has alot of foot traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear SOMDCHEEKYMOMMY,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your time with us. We strive to ensure that every guest has a comfortable stay in a clean room and I am sorry that we feel short of that goal during your stay.
If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very pleased as always. This was our third stay at Shutters and this time I brought my family and booked three rooms! My mother-in-law really appreciated her handicap accessible room on the first floor as she suffers with breathing problems and cannot do steps. The rooms are clean and the beds are super comfy! The staff has been courteous and very accommodating each time we visit and we also enjoy the continental breakfast offered as we like to get out on the beach early. Another positive is that Shutters allows their customers to arrive prior to check-in and park onsite. You get access to the pools, hottub, refreshments, the beach, and they will call you when your room is ready. The same applies for after check out, so we hung out and missed all the heavy traffic. We can't wait to stay again next year!

Dear Stacy B,

Thank you for your review and for continuing to stay with Shutters over the years. It is because of repeat guests like yourself that we continue to be able to provide the high level of service and amenities. I look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This isn't a fancy hotel, but it was very clean and right on the beach. These are some notes from our stay:

1. The front desk staff were friendly, efficient, smiling and welcoming.

2. Our room was very clean - no hair, no sand - and the bathroom was spotless. Well done to the housekeeping staff.

3. Loved the gazebo on the dune and the location of the hotel in general - right on the beach was super convenient. We were told our room had a "dune view," but we could actually see the water, which was a nice bonus.

4. There was a mini-fridge in the room, that does help a lot. It was clean, like the room was.

5. The shower in our room would lose pressure down to a trickle, then come back on with normal force - cold - then resume with the hot water. This cycle repeated regularly every minute and happened every time anyone showered. We laughed about it, because it happened to each one of us (you could hear the screams from the bathroom).

6. The parking slots were wide enough that I didn't have to worry about door dings from careless people. This is important for those of us who are particular about our cars. I also appreciated the extra parking across the street, if I wanted to be extra sure about not getting door dings.

7. Check out was super fast and convenient and again I was met with a smiling face. We stayed on the property after checking out and just used the bathrooms located in the pool area.

There's really no point mentioning where to eat, since there are restaurants everywhere. You can get bait & tackle, snacks, beach items, beer, souvenirs, etc., from the Exxon station one block north. Probably take less than 5 minutes to walk there. There's also a souvenir shop right next door.

We had a great stay. The only misstep was the crazy shower but it did make for quick showers and helped get everyone out the door faster when dinner time came. I would definitely come here again.

Dear The_Devil,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Please accept my apologies for the water pressure, I will be sending an email to the town for them to look into the issue.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

First beach trip for the 3 children-they loved the room, the breakfast, both pools, and of course the beach. Access to the beach is first class. We found the beach to not be crowded either during the day or night. We chose an ocean view room, due to the children. They were in awe with everything there and are already begging to make the same trip next year to the same hotel. Staff personnel were all very nice and helpful. We recommend this place and will vacation there again.

Room Tip: Ocean view from the 3rd floor. Veranda facing the ocean. Room with 2 queen beds still had plenty of room to move around with 3 children. Actually the beach access is so close that you might save money and skip the ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Lenzie K,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so happy to hear that your kids had a great time here and want to return. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.