After reading a bunch of reviews about this place I decided that this hotel will be my choice for a 3 night stay in the Outer Banks. When we arrived, my family (ages 25-58) agreed that this was the right choice.
Very good hotel choice. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the 4 story tower building. You will not get a view of the beach or ocean from the 1st or 2nd floor, maybe the 3rd, definitely on the 4th. The sand dunes block your view, but that is ok with me. A walk on the beach is just as good. The higher you go the more expensive it will be. At the price of $166 a night in the middle of the summer (after taxes) this beach hotel is a bargain!
The room was a decent-size, good enough for a family of 4 adults. Mini-fridge included. The bathroom was very small though. The shower is powerful but it is hard to see in the bathroom due to poor lighting. The A/C was terrible in our room (kept going on and off all night long) and the TV reception was fuzzy -- all of this still did not bother us though.
The hotel is located right on the beach, a short walk past their gazebo and you are on it. The outdoor pool was extremely comfortable and clean. The indoor pool was a tad too warm (like bath water) and the hot tub really wasn't hot (warm as well) but the outdoor pool was perfect. The "exercise room" was disgusting (dirty/moldy/needs a big upgrade). This hotel offers a free breakfast in the morning (cereals, breads, misc. items, nothing huge but just enough). The breakfast seating area is small (5 tables) so go early or just bring the food back to your room (even though it says you can't we did it). There is a computer that anyone can go on so that's great if you do not have your own laptop.
All-in-all, an excellent stay. Plenty of parking, clean beach, not that crowded. This was our first time in the Outer Banks and it definitely will not be our last.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront location, each room is equipped with two queen beds or one king and a sleep sofa and include a refrigerator,in-room phone, TV with HBO, AM-FM radio and highspeed internet. All efficiencies are equipped with full kitchens. We also have a limited number of King Studio Suites available. Complimentary continental breakfast. complimentary passes to the YMCA. Newly renovated rooms and efficiencies for 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shutters On the Banks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Banks Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Colony Iv
- Shutters On The Banks Kill Devil Hills, Outer Banks, NC