“Going to the Outer Banks? These Reviews are Right, Stay Here!”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 3 September 2009

After reading a bunch of reviews about this place I decided that this hotel will be my choice for a 3 night stay in the Outer Banks. When we arrived, my family (ages 25-58) agreed that this was the right choice.

Very good hotel choice. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the 4 story tower building. You will not get a view of the beach or ocean from the 1st or 2nd floor, maybe the 3rd, definitely on the 4th. The sand dunes block your view, but that is ok with me. A walk on the beach is just as good. The higher you go the more expensive it will be. At the price of $166 a night in the middle of the summer (after taxes) this beach hotel is a bargain!

The room was a decent-size, good enough for a family of 4 adults. Mini-fridge included. The bathroom was very small though. The shower is powerful but it is hard to see in the bathroom due to poor lighting. The A/C was terrible in our room (kept going on and off all night long) and the TV reception was fuzzy -- all of this still did not bother us though.

The hotel is located right on the beach, a short walk past their gazebo and you are on it. The outdoor pool was extremely comfortable and clean. The indoor pool was a tad too warm (like bath water) and the hot tub really wasn't hot (warm as well) but the outdoor pool was perfect. The "exercise room" was disgusting (dirty/moldy/needs a big upgrade). This hotel offers a free breakfast in the morning (cereals, breads, misc. items, nothing huge but just enough). The breakfast seating area is small (5 tables) so go early or just bring the food back to your room (even though it says you can't we did it). There is a computer that anyone can go on so that's great if you do not have your own laptop.

All-in-all, an excellent stay. Plenty of parking, clean beach, not that crowded. This was our first time in the Outer Banks and it definitely will not be our last.

Reviewed 26 August 2009

Nice smaller motel; Basic; Clean; Safe atmosphere for both couples and families; Easy and close access to the beach; Close to everything; Friendly staff; Great to have both an indoor and outdoor pool to cool off in

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I did quite a bit of research on the internet on where to stay as this was my first trip to the Outer Banks. I booked this hotel because it was ranked #1 and I was not disappointed. I can't compare it to any other hotels in the Outer Banks but was very happy with my stay. I was on the 4th floor in the Tower building and had a FANTASTIC view of the beach and ocean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. My room was clean and spacious. I did go to the continental breakfast one morning and it was as expected (muffins, bagels, coffee, etc.) but it was well laid out and very nice.

The only con was I could not access the internet in my room but I just took that as a sign that I was on vacation and didn't need to check my work email. :)

Overall it was a great stay and if I come back to the Outer Banks I would definitely stay here again!!! Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I stayed at the Colony IV in June 2009 for 5 nights. We enjoyed our stay. The room was spacious, clean and well furnished. We had a TV, Microwave, and small refrigerator. Our room was on the second floor Tower building. When standing up, we could see the ocean. When we made our reservation, we were told exactly what the view looked like so there were no surprises, actually it may have been a little bit better than described. When we stayed at this hotel in Octoer 2008, we had a fourth floor room and the view was fantastic.

We were very conviently located to the beach and the Wright Brothers Memorial.

The motel has and indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. This area is very nice. My only complaint is that the indoor pool was too cold. This was true in October and June. Outdoor pool and spa were great.

Continental breakfast was served each morning. the breakfast room was clean and very attractively decorated. They served bagles, cereals, muffins, danish, coffee, and juice.

The had a computer in the lobby for guest use. I found that to be a great convenience.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We booked this hotel based on online reviews since we had never been to the Outer Banks previously and were pleasantly surprised at clannishness of the hotel, the and the friendliness and customer focus of the hotel staff. We had a Tower room 2nd floor and the rooms are spacious and very clean. We knew when we booked that our ocean view would be blocked by the dunes so that was not a big deal. The location of the hotel is great and surprisingly the pools were not crowded. The continental breakfast is like any other hotel but it was still adequate for what we expected. The hotel really made our outer banks experience a peasant one. We will stay here again when we come back next year.

Reviewed 5 August 2009

This was our first time visiting the Outer Banks, and we totally relied on Trip Advisor ratings to find a hotel. Once again we were not let down by the users honesty and opinions. So thank you to everyone who reviewed this hotel and all the others honestly!!
The hotel is really nice and they really appear to care about their guests! They use brand name products (Bath and Body and Maxwell House to name a couple!) and that says to me that they want to go the extra step to give their guests special attention! PLEASE don't change! These little things matter!

The staff was great (except for the young lady at check out who told us that it was our fault our refrigerator stopped working~ then another employee stepped in and told her it was not us but the timer in the back had been set incorrectly by hotel staff). It rained each day of our trip and on the last leg, it actually rained hard enough to leak water under our door and into our hotel room, but the nicest employee (wish I would have gotten her name!) moved us up to higher ground and provided us with a great view for all our troubles. The cleaning staff was a great help when we needed additional products!

Pros- They have Bath and Body Works products!!! I mean HELLO that is worth the extra money to stay there! The one lady who worked the front desk~ wish I would have gotten your name but I remember how sweet you were and even called me Ms. Kimberly~~ you are amazing! The pools and hotub was really nice! The breakfast was good and FREE! The view from the top floor, and the beach access! The serve Maxwell House coffee, and even stock the rooms with it! Close to everything~ especially The Kill Devil Grill!

Cons- Only the one front desk attendant and the water leaking into the room.

This hotel takes the time to do it right the first time! Give it a try I do not think you will be disappointed!!!

Reviewed 1 August 2009

Was one of the best hotels i've stayed at. The service was great. We needed a printer to get tickets for a baseball game, and they let me use their desk computer. there is also a computer for anyone to use in the lobby. the breakfast at the hotel was very good.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!