Shutters On the Banks
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cavalier by the Sea(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Outer Banks Inn(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Outer Banks Beach Club(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
The Golden Strand(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Outer Banks Motor Lodge(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Comfort Inn On The Ocean(Kill Devil Hills)
1,031 results
All reviewstower buildingindoor poolwaffleshot tubcontinental breakfastboiled eggsdune viewnice gazebosecond floorwaffle makerfloor roomjockey's ridgedefinitely stay here againnice breakfastprivate balconybeach accesswatch the sunrise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 September 2009

This is the second time I have stayed at the Colony IV when visiting the Outer Banks. My husband and I were finally able to get away for a honeymoon. I had stayed at the Colony IV before and had to stay there again. We booked our room in the tower on the first floor. The room was large and had its own balcony with 2 chairs. We enjoyed sitting on the porch in the mornings and evenings while we drank our coffee. Plus, it was only a short walk to the gazebo and the beach when we wanted to see the ocean. When we returned to our room each evening it had been thoroughly cleaned and restocked with fresh towels. I loved the bath and body works soaps. The customer service we received by the hotel staff was second to none. They were always pleasant and greeted us when we visited the lobby. They really saved the day when I had to get an important document in order to rent a car. The woman at the desk took care of everything and called our room when it was ready. One other thing we really liked about the hotel is how close it is to everything. We truly enjoyed our stay at the outer banks and when we return, I don't think we'll stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2009

It was our first time in the Outerbanks and I was not disappointed! The room had a gorgeous view from the terrace, spacious and clean room, body and bath soaps, shampoo and conditioner, frig, MW, TV with free HBO, helpful staff, adequate continental breakfast. Many restaurants within a short drive. Little to do when it rained except shop! Tanger outlets were about 20 minutes away. Plenty to do in the sun - parasailing, jet ski, wild horse tour, segues, jeep drives and of course mini golf and the BEACH! Hotel also has fitness area and in and outdoor pools.

Reviewed 3 September 2009

I tried to do a lot of research while deciding upon motels to stay at during the Outer Banks portion of a recent 2-week historic siteseeing driving trip. Thanks to TripAdvisor, and referral from my brother, our selection of Colony IV By the Sea turned out to be an outstanding experience in every way. I made a few calls in the weeks ahead of our trip and the staff was always pleasant, professional and very, very helpful without being pushy, ever. The motel is right on the beach, nice for those looking for a little quiet beach experience. It also has different buildings, some of which give you balconies facing the ocean. Be sure to call them if you have any questions about ocean views, options, etc. The room we stayed in was absolutely wonderful ~ 2nd floor in the tower building. We also received an unexpected surprise upon arrival when they slashed $20 off our reservation price when I showed them my Triple-A card. For a beautiful motel and beautiful experience in the Outer Banks, let these beautiful people take care of you. Please also keep in mind two wonderful restaurants we visited during our time in the northern Outer Banks area ~ Big Al's, an old-time 50's style diner with lots of good food and memorable songs and decor; and TL's family restaurant, a wonderful place to get an old style family cooking type meal at outstanding prices. Both of these are located about 10 minutes from Colony IV, across the bridge in Manteo, right down the main street from one another.

Reviewed 3 September 2009

After reading a bunch of reviews about this place I decided that this hotel will be my choice for a 3 night stay in the Outer Banks. When we arrived, my family (ages 25-58) agreed that this was the right choice.

Very good hotel choice. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the 4 story tower building. You will not get a view of the beach or ocean from the 1st or 2nd floor, maybe the 3rd, definitely on the 4th. The sand dunes block your view, but that is ok with me. A walk on the beach is just as good. The higher you go the more expensive it will be. At the price of $166 a night in the middle of the summer (after taxes) this beach hotel is a bargain!

The room was a decent-size, good enough for a family of 4 adults. Mini-fridge included. The bathroom was very small though. The shower is powerful but it is hard to see in the bathroom due to poor lighting. The A/C was terrible in our room (kept going on and off all night long) and the TV reception was fuzzy -- all of this still did not bother us though.

The hotel is located right on the beach, a short walk past their gazebo and you are on it. The outdoor pool was extremely comfortable and clean. The indoor pool was a tad too warm (like bath water) and the hot tub really wasn't hot (warm as well) but the outdoor pool was perfect. The "exercise room" was disgusting (dirty/moldy/needs a big upgrade). This hotel offers a free breakfast in the morning (cereals, breads, misc. items, nothing huge but just enough). The breakfast seating area is small (5 tables) so go early or just bring the food back to your room (even though it says you can't we did it). There is a computer that anyone can go on so that's great if you do not have your own laptop.

All-in-all, an excellent stay. Plenty of parking, clean beach, not that crowded. This was our first time in the Outer Banks and it definitely will not be our last.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Nice smaller motel; Basic; Clean; Safe atmosphere for both couples and families; Easy and close access to the beach; Close to everything; Friendly staff; Great to have both an indoor and outdoor pool to cool off in