“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Lexington, Kentucky
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I booked this hotel as an Expedia special, not knowing what hotel I would get, just that it was on sale. We do not frequent Comfort Inn's, but having paid $50 less than room at regular price we were pretty excited. We stayed one night and had a room on the top floor (pets are allowed on the 1st floor so we requested to be on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th) facing away from the beach. The room was clean, spacious and quiet. While this hotel has probably been around a while, the rooms have been well maintained and updated. The hallways, stairwells and elevator were well used and it showed. Outside of the room was a little more of a crap-shoot - the stairs smelled funny, the elevator was slow and the staff, though friendly to us, did not seem to excited to be at work. The pool was great, but it did not open until 10, which is nap time for the little one so we did not get to use it. The free breakfast was good and the dining areas were nice. Make sure you get a staff member to help you with the cart up the ramps - I did not realize how helpful they would be until I tried it myself and it's tough! We would definitely return, though would price compare if we were facing the regular rate.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Korean first
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2011

The hotel is on the ocean with access to the beach. Many rooms have balconies overlooking the ocean. The rooms are a decent size. A nice continental breakfast is included in the price. This was our second trip to this hotel this summer, and we'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Jamesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I have stayed at this propery a number of times and like the fact that it is right on the beach. My last viist, Dawn, the front desk receptionist, was very personable and professional making me feel that I was welcome and making me want to come back again. Being a Choice Member and a Priority Club Member, if there is a choice, I usually will pick a Choice Property first. However, there are some non-branded properties that I have stayed at which rate very close to these, but my experience is you usually get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for the Ocean Front Rooms; The view is Incredible!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This hotel is in a great location! Too bad thats the only reason it deserves even one star. The hotel has a nice enough lobby, and by that I only mean that its on par with what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn. Nothing fancy but clean and basic. Immediately when you walk back through the lobby though you have to go up stairs or very steep ramps to the first floor. The ramps looked like they might get vacuumed once a week if they're lucky. It only got worse from there. By the time you reach the top of the stairs to the first level you notice a HORRIBLY strong smell of smoke not to mention huge stains all over the faded carpets that also looked like they were never vacuumed. I understand that the hotel is directly on the beach and that people staying in the hotel probably track sand in everyday. All the more reason that the carpet should be cleaned once every few months. We brought our dog with us (the reason we chose this hotel) so were on the 2nd floor which allows pets. Our room had an overwhelming moldly smell to it which probably had something to do with the gray patches on the ceiling. The bathroom was a mishmash (nice vanity with granite counter and nice framed mirror) and then a disgusting plastic not matching shower. Our sheets felt sandy when we got into bed. The carpet (once again) was not vacuumed and had lint all over. It had an overall feeling of grossness and I'm so glad I didn't bring a black light with me. I would not stay here again for free. Worst money every spent on a hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here no matter what!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annecva
vamit241, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
I appreciate your comments about the hotel. I would like to assure you that we regularly clean and shampoo our carpets once every month during the busy season. This is a destination property and we find guests with dogs and kids spilling stuff all over and are constantly maintaining the product. We have a person specifically tasked to clean the hallways / lobby every 3 hrs. We are conscious of ramp and have put a notice at front desk and our staff insist we help you to push the luggage up the ramp.
This is one the finest hotel here on the beach and we take pride in our cleanliness overall despite the challenges due to proximity of beach and sand being tracked in by everyone. We receive great compliments from our guests about how nice and friendly Comfort In on the Ocean is overall.

Travellers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

washington, dc
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I've been searching for a pet friendly beach and this place was perfect. Hotel staff is very friendly. We got a right facing the ocean and we could walk right out. Beach was not overly crowded. Over all we had an amazing time there. Room was well kept and clean. We had to pay extra per night for the pet but I didn't mind that.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on our way back to PA from Savannah ... we had two rooms and both bathrooms were awful (dirty bathtubs, bathroom air vents full of gunk and something running down the side of the toilet at the plumbing connection). We arrived late and simply wanted to crash so we did not complain ...however, I used the bath mat inside the tub so that I didn't have to stand on the tub surface.

The lobby looks pretty good, but once you leave that area the hallways are very tired and messy and the elevator had an awful smell that even the husbands complained about. I actually opened the balcony door to get some fresh air into the room because it seemed stale. I would have to say that the beds were very comfortable and they seemed to be very clean. However I would not stay here again and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Great hotel on the beach. Loved the pool too! The staff is great, everyone was so pleasent and friendly. Clean hotel, great area, and great staff. We'll stay at this hotel again on our next trip to the Outer Banks.

Room Tip: I called months ahead and got a great price.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!