“It works! Will return!”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Shenandoah Valley
“It works! Will return!”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Peoples comments on here literally had me FREAKING out, to the point where I flat out called the hotel and asked if these reviews were true in anyway because if so I was going to show myself when I got there if not told the truth. Front desk is friendly, helpful, and polite! I am a choice hotel employee and I was VERY pleased with the rooms, cleanliness, and atmosphere! It is a BEACH for heavens sake!!! The carpets are not going to look BRAND new! For your information, a very nice man SHAMPOOS the carpets 3 nights a week at that hotel! Ummm, pretty sure ours isn't done but ONCE a year and given we are not at a beach, 3 nights a week is AWESOME! My parents room was nice and cool when we entered. Went into my room and the AC was def. NOT working properly. I headed down to the front desk where I passed a maintenance man who I told my problem to and he had me a NEW AC in the room within 20 minutes!!!!!!! I mean literally a brand new UNIT! Breakfast in the mornings was awesome! Honestly, the ONLY downfall I def. agreed with is the ramp that you have to go up with luggage cart in order to get to first floor and elevator. HOWEVER, people who complained left out the part that any employee working there who saw someone headed up the ramp would quickly run and help anyone that needed it! Also, the boys who sit at the bottom of the stairs off the deck who rent chairs and umbrellas etc were very helpful to an elderly man who needed help with a babies wagon, which was full of items to take onto the beach. The GM's office was located in the hallway where all guests pass by. The door was always open and he was very friendly. Spoke to my Dad just about every morning. This is not typical....believe me! I really think people should be cautious of the reviews put on this site, especially those recently. The GM said they have been changing, updating, and improving everything as much as they can, so relax, your at the beach, how dern long are you going to stay in the hotel room?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Shannon P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 13 August 2011

On July 12 we stopped by to reserve an oceanfront room at this hotel by Thursday. During booking I realized that there was no sign that the hotel was pet free, so I asked the receptionist about their policy on this issue. Kyle, who did the booking, said that yes they allowed pets, but only on the first floor. We were willing to go ahead with the booking in case he made sure that we would get a room on the third or fourth floor (We are light sleepers and didn’t want to wake up to dogs’ barking in neighboring rooms.) He earnestly promised that we would get a room on the top floor (they had plenty of rooms available- he said), so we finalized the booking.

Thursday afternoon when we got to the hotel, in 5 minutes we found out the following:
1. They have no room for us on the top floor or on the third floor.
2. It does not matter on which floor we get a room because pets are allowed on every floor.
When we quoted Kyle’s repeated insistence that pets were allowed only on the first floor, the answer was: “true, that was our policy a few years ago”. Well, we didn’t book the room a few years ago but only two days ago and not via Internet or phone but in person, so the receptionist intentionally, deliberately misled us.

The clerk, a much senior and more serious person at the reception seeing how upset we were having met with these series of unfortunately “mistaken statements” or rather facts, offered us to call a few hotels to find room for us in a “no pets allowed” hotel, then we canceled our reservation and left.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Meditationes
vamit241, Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
I appreciate your feedback on the issue you came across.
Let me assure yoiuthat it was a case of pure misunderstanding by Kyle of your needs and he assumed you did not want to stay on the floor where we have most pet friendly rooms, so he booked you on second floor without realising you did not want tostay at a hotel which aloows pets. You mentioned that you came tous after looking online, but we have clear mention that we are pet friendly.
However, we were very sincere in our efforts to provide you with room at another hotel not pet firendly.

Travellers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We came for a end of summer vacation before our children left for college. We realize there is not much of a hotel selection in the area and did quite a bit of research prior to selecting Comfort Inn on the Ocean. Because it was a three star hotel and you have no other choices above that, we made it our selection.
The good:
Direct ocean front with excellent view
Decent continental breakfast from eggs, bacon, cereal, muffins, bagels and more.
The bad:
Filthy rooms - we had two. We immediately requested a different room for our children as the rooms smelled badly of animal feces(at least we were hoping it was from an animal). The staff was accomodating and changed the room. The bathrooms were nasty - plastic tub was severly stained on the bottom (black/gray) we had no toilet paper so I had to walk to the front desk and ask for some. The ceilings were badly stained - not sure from what and I do not think I would want to know. When I went to plug in my laptop, I used the outlet behind the nightstand and was horrified by the amount of dust and dirt behind it. Our son's bed was wet. Our balcony door deadbolt was broken and they had a pitiful lock used as a replacement. You walked very fast through the halls as the smell and run down look scared you. I kept socks on my feet at all times as I refused to walk the floor/carpet in my bare feet. I draped towels over the chairs as they were also badly stained.
While I understand being right on the beach with the sand and salt air, this does not justify how filthy the hotel is. We stayed at a Ritz Carlton right on the ocean on Amelia Island and what a difference in cleanliness. The hotel received a cleaning rating of 96% which is posted in the lobby not sure how this happened because everywhere I looked was pure filth and run down. You should be ashamed of ourselves for not keeping the place clean. Obviously your definition of clean is different from mine.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria020688
bend,OR
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Enough said !! Manager wasn't helpful at all. We had to find another room at another hotel. I was too grossed out to stay there at all. They did offer a $20 discount if we stayed there (really that's all). I wanted to get , because where there is one that are many others !! I wanted to be reimbursed for the hotel we went to afterward, Nags Head Inn (great staff, clean rooms etc...). It was more expensive, but at that point, it was almost all that was left in town, since we had to scramble to find a room for two nights. Comfort Inn manager wasn't helpful and the staff on duty didn't have the authority to make those decisions. They offered us a room at their other location, south Nags Head, but it was a smoking room and it was more expensive. Yes, they were actually going to charge us ! That hotel was gross, the room numbers were hand written on the wall outside the room.
Neither were good quality and I was very disappointed in the Comfort Inn name on this one, they really should look into this one carrying that branding for them.

3 Thank justthe4ofus
Thank you for your comments.
I had specifically dealt with you when brought to my attention and it was very surprising that when you opened the balcony an insect flew and sat on your bed which was construed to be cockroach. We cleared that for you and made all efforts to pacify you inlcuding upgrade. You were not willing to accept to stay in the hotel as you construed the whole hotel is infested. You had a guest infront of you who stayed and complimented the hotel accomodations. We tried to help in all possible ways but we could do so much to convince you.
I would like you to know that we strive to provide clean and comfortable environment to our guests. We are one the best hotels here on the Beach with Oceanfront accomodations.
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Move quickly thru the common areas and hallway to get to your room. I know it must be difficult to maintain carpet and walls in a motel that is packed full all season long. So just get past that and enjoy the clean, well-stocked rooms, the comfortable pillows, the refrigerator, mw, and balcony. Plus, it is right on the beach. The staff is very nice and helpful. I've never seen housekeepers work so hard. Breakfast is big!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Second consecutive vacation at this great hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms/beds. Everything is clean. Pool access is convenient, and the children love the little pool. It was hard to tear ourselves away from the ocean view from our room's balcony. If there was anything we needed, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. It's easy to get help with luggage when it's needed. Fourth floor was very convenient to coin-op washer and dryer. We LOVE the expanded continental breakfast - no need to go anywhere else for breakfast. The breakfast room is comfortable, and the food and coffee are great. We found parking in the main lot every day, and we stayed in peak season. Beach access was great. Lifeguard and equipment rental staff were very friendly and helpful. We were very sorry to leave, but we'll be back next year. Thanks again!!

1 Thank HeartInOBX
virginia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Don't stay here if you can't take stairs or walk up a very steep ramp. Don't stay here if you don't like waiting for elevator. Don't stay here if you don't want house keeping to wake you up at 8 AM. I soon learned to put "Do Not Disturb" sign on door.
Do stay here if you like to be at a great location. Do stay here if you want a short walk to the ocean. I loved their breakfast. We had bacon, sausage, eggs, waffles, toast, english muffins, bagels, white bread, wheat bread, mini blueberry muffing, yougurt, fresh fruit, and more. Just don't get there to early or to late.
Room was clean. We had street side. Was first given smoking room then given correct room. First cleaning lady was fantastic and said no problem to come back when my kids were up. Second day(from another cleaning lady) I heard how terribly busy she was and how she really didn't have time to come back. I just gave her our trash and towel. She gave us new towels. Would have been nice to have sand vacumed up and bed made. I was not about to wake my 21 year old son up at 8 AM. He leaves for work everyday at 5AM and I thought you were suppose to be able to sleep in on vacation.
Another bad thing - water was very, very slow to drain from tub. If you were the last to take a shower it was really gross.
The price quoted on priceline was the price I received. I did not have to pay the additional ten dollars a night like other hotels wanted.
I would stay again. I love the Outer Banks!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!