“Perfect stay!! Will be back..”

Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Staunton, Virginia
“Perfect stay!! Will be back..”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days with my family. Check in was seamless. Very move staff. They provide a hot breakfast in the morning, like a hot continental . Eggs, bacon, cereal, yogurt etc. the are still renovating some hall ways , steps, etc. but no noise issues . Room was very clean, located in 4th floor. Outstanding ocean views. Windows were a little dirty with sea salt. But newly furnished coverings . Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We agree that our breakfast is great. (In fact, we think it is the best complimentary breakfast on the beach.) We are glad that you enjoyed both your view and our restaurant offerings! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is modest and there are renovations underway but their customer service is five star! We had made reservations at another hotel but when we arrived the room was not as advertised and we were in quite a pinch, traveling with our extended family (and dog). The folks at this hotel went out of their way to create substitute arrangements for us. Their kindness and compassion for our difficult situation was extraordinary.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for letting us know about the wonderful experience you had during your stay. Our entire staff strives to ensure complete guest satisfaction, whether they arrive on two legs or four, and were happy to see that they achieved this with you. We are sorry that you experienced difficulty prior to coming to us, but are happy we were able to turn your trip around. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We recently booked accommodation through another place that falsely advertised how many rooms and beds were in the apartment. Thus, at the last minute we were searching for a room in Nags Head/Kill Devil HIlls. Sheena was so helpful at the front desk in helping us get an affordable rate and as many beds as we needed. The hotel is currently undergoing some renovations, but the rooms were more than acceptable with a fridge and microwave and balcony in each room. I recommend this hotel, primarily for the excetional customer service we encountered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
virginia beach
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the hotel situation on the Outer Banks and have stayed in dozens of them over the years because this is my favorite destination in the world...and it's only two hours away. There are only a handful of pet friendly hotels there and we have taken our dog with us numerous times but have never been thrilled with the pet friendly places until now. I discovered that this hotel is pet friendly when trying to find a place last Thanksgiving. We just went back this past weekend, again with our little dog, for a last minute Valentine celebration. We were very happy with our room and view. There are microwaves and mini-fridges in the rooms and the beds and pillows are nice and comfy. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and accommodating. The renovated lobby/lounge/bar area is very attractive and comfortable, definitely above average for hotels on the Outer Banks. We enjoyed drinks and an appetizer there both nights. The complimentary breakfast is also a nice perk and includes eggs, bacon, grits, etc., not just the normal continental breakfast items you'd expect. The only downside was that the elevator was not in service but they are continuing with renovations and improvements and that is just part of the process. I am just so happy we have found a place my husband and I both like that also welcomes our furry family member. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vbeachgirl
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you, once again, enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate that you decided to stay with us again. We are also glad to hear that you "furry family member" enjoyed their stay with us as well. Our staff tries to ensure the comfort of every guest whether they have two legs or four. It is great to know that they met that mark with your family. All of us look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This hotel could be rated average to above average depending on what you are use to. I traveled for work (rough...I know) in January and ended up getting iced in and spent an entire day at the hotel. First, the price was about $60/night for a great beach view. If you like a view but don't care for the water or heat, this is a great time to go.

The room was cozy and held in the temperate well. I say that because the storm was sending wind gusts that were literally pushing on the outside door and letting the air creep in. I expected to freeze but didn't. That brings me to the door and anything metal at all. Rust...can't be avoided with the salt air but I felt less secure in my room without a deadbolt on the outside facing door. They did place additional locks on the door but I seriously thought with a good effort, I could break through it. The building is older so it has a solid door versus sliding glass doors found on many newer beach front hotels. Just about everything metal in the room had surface rust - even the newer items. I'm not sure what other hotels do to keep this at bay but I was surprised. Again, it is an older hotel so...for it's age, not bad. Renovations were underway to install a new elevator in a new location. The existing elevator required guests to go up a set of stairs or ramp to get to it. This one looks like it will be at ground level. Overall the hotel was clean and well kept.

Breakfast...yum yum! Plenty of options and an attentive staff to make sure it was all available. I had dinner at the lobby bar on my iced in day (chicken ceasar) and it was also very good (BIG). Again, the attendant was very nice.

The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful. When I made reservations, I wanted to make sure that there was no chance of getting a room where pets were allowed. They have no-pet rooms. Important for allergy stricken folk like myself :)

Room Tip: I enjoyed the 2nd floor room. Your view is just above the grassy sand dune to the ocean which frame...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are glad to hear that you had a good time. This is a beautiful time of year to visit and the seashells are usually great out back. We are glad you enjoyed our breakfast. Our chef is truly a star! Thank you again for letting us know about your stay. We hope to see you again soon!
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have no complaints. When I made the reservation the website clearly states the hotel is under construction. I expected a huge mess this last time but it wasn't so. The receptionist was friendly and greeted us promptly and already had our keys ready by the time we got in (very late check in). We stayed in the 4th floor ocean front room. The room and bathrooms were clean, the bed comfortable. What else could we ask for! I do have to say if you need to be close to the ice machine, don't pick the 4th floor. All other floors have ice and the 4th holds the washer and dryer, a very nice thing to have at a hotel specially in the summer.
The 2nd day we met Molly, head housekeeper. She immediately introduced herself (which I thought was really nice) and made sure we had everything we needed in the room and also told us if there was anything else we needed, to please let her know. I thought that was very nice of her and it was comforting knowing someone was looking out for us. (Saw her again on day 3 and was amazed she remembered my name! :)
Breakfast: we travel often and usually stay at Comfort Inns (if available). This particular one has probably one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen. The dining is clean, the food is warm and the service staff is right on top of it.
(4 stars due to old decor in the hallways not due to the room itself. I can't wait to see the renovations finished and then I'll bump it to 5 stars).
I would stay here again..

Room Tip: We stayed in room 417 oceanside. It's a few doors from the elevator but you don't hear it. O...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay. Yes we are currently preforming renovations, but they will be completed soon. We are all excited about the changes and can't wait for them to be done. Thank you for also letting us know about Molly. She is truly a gem and we agree with you that her ways of ensuring guest satisfaction is superb! We will be sure to pass your kind words along and we know she will be more than thrilled. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you soon!
Frederick
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The first room we were given had a lock that was totally broken. The second room we stayed in didn't close properly.

Everyone should know there is construction on the first floor. Installing an elevator.

The staff is excellent friendly, adhere to detail within their power, and always asking if we needed anything. Great with pets.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms will give you best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for letting us know that the staff was friendly and always willing to help. You will find it difficult to find a friendlier staff who also loves all of the pets who are our guests as well. We are glad that both of you enjoyed your stay. The issue you stated regarding the door locks is being looked in to and we are sorry if this issue hindered your stay. We do wish you a happy holiday and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!