“Overpriced for what you get”

Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
High Point, North Carolina
“Overpriced for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

There are several positives to the hotel. The staff is very friendly. We were walking to the car one morning carrying a cooler and the gentlemen working the complimentary breakfast asked if we needed ice. He came back with a big bucket of ice and would have gotten us more if we wanted it. The location is great. It is right on the ocean. It is also close to some excellent restaurants- two within walking distance. They allow dogs (for an extra $25.00 per night). The downside is a combination between the facility itself and their prices. It is a very old hotel. To get to the second floor and higher (we were on the third), you must either use the steps (no problem unless you need a luggage cart) or use two separate elevators - one to the first floor from the lobby and another to higher floors. The steps to the first floor are very old and somewhat treacherous. When we first checked in, we were given keys to our room. When we got there, there was luggage on the bed. I went back downstairs and was given keys to another room. The air conditioner did not work consistently. Sometimes it was not cooling the room. At other times, it was much colder than the setting indicated. It was also very noisy. The concrete on the balcony was crumbling and the outside wall (on the balcony) was very dirty. Our bill for a twin bed for two people and a small dog for two nights (Thursday and Friday) was $362.55. That's pretty steep for a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bruce J
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Our staff strives to provide every guest with exceptional customer service. We are happy to hear that they met their mark with you. We understand that the double elevators may be slightly different, but we felt that the second elevator would provide our guests with further ease of access to their rooms. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again on your next visit. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I traveled with our almost adult children and had a couple of rooms. Ocean access meant we could all come and go as we chose and we found a fabulous restaurant for a family dinner! The rooms are clean, spacious, and offer enough bathroom space for two teenage girls! I appreciated the front desk having hot coffee available at ALL hours of the day! Thank YOU. The staff is very courteous and accommodating. For me, that means the world, especially on vacation. I found the beds to be very comfortable and I love having 4 pillows per bed. The internet worked great. You would think that would be a given this day and age, but it isn't. We stayed in a place last night where we couldn't even get email.

Room Tip: I only put the kids activities and spa as average because I don't have little kids and I only sa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy C
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay. We are happy to hear that there was more than enough room for you. Our staff is always working towards provided excellent customer service and we are glad that they made you and your family feel welcome and appreciated. We hope to see you on your next visit!. Thank you again.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We checked in May 18th. We were greeted in a friendly manner by Leslie. She was very helpful. The elevator situation is strange but they are going thru renovations. Our room was very clean and we loved our view and balcony.

I had problems w/my key getting into the building after a walk on the beach the next morning. Another guest was there and hers worked.

Day 3 our room was barely touched. The bed was poorly made. If it hadn't been for the shampoo, etc. laid on the sink and the made bed, I would have thought our room had been overlooked--the sink hadn't even been wiped out. I know the hotel was full but we always leave a tip but the housekeeper didn't deserve it that day.

Breakfast was good and well-stocked. The front desk was very helpful.

We will consider staying there again when we come back to the OBX

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The room when we went in was somewhat updated, however still needing work. The wallpaper in the bathroom looked like a first timer put it up, and the seam was coming undone. Everything else looked ok. The bed was a king size horrible bed. We could not get comfortable at all and the air conditioner was horrible. It had a horrible noise when it was on. It kept coming on and going off. We did enjoy the balcony and being that close to the ocean. They had a decent breakfast which was appreciated. We were only there for the one night, thank goodness. I do not think this hotel is worth the $179 a night that we paid (this included 3 different taxes) We did not use the exercise room or the pool area so I cannot review these areas. They did have a person playing the piano in the evening at the bar which was right in the lobby of the hotel. That was pretty good. Do think I could recommend this hotel for a longer stay than a drive thru, needing a place to stay, one night stay.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow and ear plugs.

Travellers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this location a few times throughout the years. It is perfect for a quick weekend stay. The rooms are comfortable but the hotel does need (and is getting) renovations. The beds are not the most comfortable but the rooms a very clean- a little black mil don't the ceiling of the shower- which is common on the coast in older hotels. Air conditioning unit is loud and hard to regulate. Front desk staff is helpful and friendly. I left my DSLR camera and lenses in the room and housekeeping and front desk staff helped get it back to me! I was so relieved because I have never done anything so stupid! If I go to the beach for a week or longer I will get a condo or house to rent- but this is a terrific place to book if you are booking last minute or for a short visit!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elyria, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Jennifer the guest service manager and her staff are very helpful and try to meet the needs of their guests. Jennifer worked hard to get us a ground floor ocean front room,

The rooms really need updated, it seems the process is part way completed, but apparently they are doing bits and pieces of the room upgrade, some things done and other things not done.

Front lobby has been re-done, it is nice.
The hotel is right on the beach and out first floor room gave us direct access to the beach.
Breakfast was adequate.

Room Tip: Get the ocean front if you can, for obvious reasons. Since the property is under rennovation you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very old hotel that is doing a bad job with its renovations. Wires hanging in the hallway; wood molding not nailed to the wall. Rooms have rust on metal objects and badly need painting. Front desk staff was the worst - not friendly during my four day stay. No good mornings; how are things; not even a thank you for staying when I checked out. The clerk just checked my account and gave me my bill while talking to another staff member. There two good things about this hotel. 1. Good breakfast and 2. Being located on the beach. I will stay somewhere else next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Top floor.
3 Thank myles j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,149 reviews
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!