“Small bathroom and super soft beds”

Hampton Inn Kinston
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kinston
Seattle, Washington
“Small bathroom and super soft beds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here for a business trip and was immediately greeted by a friendly front desk clerk who even though was overwhelmed helped answer my question. My room was on the 4th floor and when entering looked to my left to see a tiny bathroom. I am a very thin build and struggled maneuvering around, in fact it was so narrow the towel/mat i put on the floor wouldn't allow me to shut the door. There wasn't a place to hold my towels so after using it once I unfortunately had to toss it on the floor.
The bath amenities such as shampoo and lotion was surprisingly decent brand I actually used theirs (versus using my own). I felt the bathtub could be maintained better because it was moldy and rusted but the water pressure was fine.
The bed was far too soft, once you sat on it, it sunk down but the sheets were clean. I appreciated the many TV channels the hotel carried and the outlets were easily accessed on the desk for me to plug in my laptop and 2 cell phones.
The next morning I went down to Hardee's for breakfast (which is a few 100 ft away) not realizing there was a breakfast bar. I stopped in afterwards and was impressed with their selection. If you stay here make sure to just grab the complimentary breakfast. Their coffee was amazingly good and had 4 choices of coffee and creamer. When the first time i stepped in to the last person i saw, the hotel staff was super nice and friendly. If you have to stay in Kinston i'd just stay here since I didn't see another hotel around.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank place-name-here

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Check-in person was really welcoming and personable. Excellent breakfast with a wide variety of very good choices. The room was very quiet and the inn is in a great location. We were very pleased; we rate this as one of the better Hamptons we have used.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Whether you are military, a tourist or on vacation, the Kinston Hampton Inn is a high quality, high value, customer oriented stopover. We had driven from the DC area and were too tired to finish our trip to the beaches so checked in late at night. The breakfast buffet has lots of variety and the staff are great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Salisbury, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I found this hotel by mistake and was too tired to look further. I was extremely surprised when I stepped inside. The place was amazing. Clean and fresh. Friendly and helpful staff. Room was perfect. Air conditioner quiet. Laundry room amazing. I was offered an honors membership which I took advantage of. The best part of finding this amazing place is that there are NO PETS and NO SMOKING in any Hilton properties. I will never stay anywhere else but a Hilton property again. I do travel a lot and have stayed in many places. This experience has renewed my faith in the hotel business. Thanks! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Kinston, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our stay at the Hampton Inn in Kinston, North Carolina was for the purpose of a Family Reunion. The staff was very courteous and kind and we did not experience any problems. From the Front Desk Clerk to the Janitorial Staff, everyone was very accommodating to ensure we had a good stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Beaufort
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Close to shopping and restaurants. Staff always friendly. Rooms very clean. Bathroom tub/shower small. Love the Managers Receptions Mon.-Wed. Grounds well maintained. Have never been disappointed when I have stayed here so would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The first thing to know about this hotel is that this is NOT a typical Hampton Inn, but that is not a bad thing. In fact, this was not built as Hampton but was purchased several years ago from another chain (I won't mention the other chain's name, but suffice it to say that the other chain is generally more upscale). So you'll find ballrooms, a large atrium, and a separate tower for the rooms at this property.

In general, this is a good hotel for the price. The staff here was professional, friendly, and helpful. Check-in was quick, though my room was not quite ready to go until 3:10 (check-in was 3:00 PM).

Once I got to the room, it was very clean. The carpeting was clean and in good condition. There were no smoking smells in the room. There were no cleaning chemical smells to mar the experience.

The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was in good condition. We did not see any evidence of any critters wanting to share the bed with us. An extra pillow and blanket were helpfully provided in the top of the closet. There was also a luggage rack there.

The bathroom was clean. We did not see any mold or mildew. The bathroom had a bath tub if that is important to you. Water pressure was fine. The sink/vanity areas are inside the bathroom which is very cramped. What make it worse is that the bathroom door swings inward. Getting in and out can be an adventure. If they would change the door and jamb so that it swings outward it would make a world of difference.

This hotel is on the 70 bypass. It is NOT in the business district, so there is not much around it. There is a Hardees within walking distance, but that is about all. Fortunately, if you can drive, most places are only 2-5 miles away.

Hallways and elevators were clean. The curtains were in fine shape and blocked out light well. UBS charging ports are helpfully provided. I did not have the hotel breakfast, so I can't comment on that nor the pool.

My biggest gripe was the poor lighting. We were in a King suite room. It is very dark. There is a very nice counter/storage area in one area of the room (it backs up to the bathroom) which would have been very nice to use except that there was NO light at all in that area after sundown. So at nighttime you couldn't see anything on the counter or even use it. Some overhead track lighting would be great, but even a table lamp would have made the space usable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keithwnc
Travis B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Kinston, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thanks Keith for such a Great Review and Comments on your most recent stay here at the Hampton Inn Kinston. I would like to personally thank you for bringing to my attention about the missing light at the counter in our only room suite. This was overlooked during our renovation and I can assure you that once I read your review, my managers and I have addressed this issue and will have it corrected within the next few days so there will be no need for a flashlight. I am pleased to announce that our guest bathrooms will be going under a renovation soon that will enhance the size of the bathroom. We look forward to your next return to the Kinston area and have a safe summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinston
Quality Inn
Hampton Inn Goldsboro
Hampton Inn Goldsboro
#1 of 11 in Goldsboro
BEST WESTERN PLUS Goldsboro

Been to Hampton Inn Kinston? Share your experiences!