Adventure Bound Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
See available hotels
Beach Haven(Kitty Hawk)
View Hotel
Driftin' Sands Motel(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Hamilton Cay at Bermuda Bay(Kill Devil Hills)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I needed a cheap place to stay before running in the OBX half marathon, and from the website the hostel at this campground seemed to be what I was looking for. I was expecting something very basic at this price (~$23 with tax off season rate), but after seeing the "dorm" I was assigned to I almost slept in my car rather than have to go back in there. I could go on at length about how much I hated my stay here, but I'll focus on the biggest problems. 1) It was filthy: a thick layer of dust and grime covered everything in the room, the carpet had clearly never met a vacuum cleaner, it smelled awful and it was crawling with bugs. 2) General dilapidation and lack of structural integrity: The outside of both buildings is falling apart, there are rotten parts of the stairs/decks, and the entire building I stayed in shook whenever someone walked up the stairs (not kidding here). The mattresses in my room were coming apart at the seams. I slept horribly, waking up at least every hour to a noise/the building shaking/general discomfort. 3) It may not be an issue for those traveling with a companion, but I did not feel safe staying there by myself. If it matters, I'm a frequent camper/backpacker and live alone, so dirt/bugs/being alone in the dark/rustic settings in general don't bother me very much, but this was ridiculous.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank mtn2seas49021
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was the worst camping experience I have EVER had (and I've been winter camping in Michigan were you had to dig down two feet of snow to put up your tent). First there are no actual sites you "pitch a tent" where you want on a yard. There were no fire rings and when we went the yard was flooded so the only option was right next to someone else. The bathrooms themselves weren't too bad, but the showers were GROSS! We were on the other side of the peacocks and didn't hear them. What we did hear was the all of the "permanent residents" nighttime activities, if you get my drift. I have never seen so many people go in and come out of one room in one night... This is my advice you really want to camp do not do it hear, it may be the cheapest in town but it is NOT WORTH IT! The extra you spend somewhere else will be the best money you ever spent.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank buck2010
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Let's keep in mind that this is an inexpensive campground less than five minutes from the beaches of the Outer Banks and a 24/7 7-eleven. The price was right and check in was friendly and easy. We were there for a long 4th of July weekend and got there the night before the rest of the crowd. The campsite didn't fill up nearly as much as we thought it would, although it certainly wasn't empty! There are a few campsites in the back, near the trees. I would recommend trying to camp back there, as you're shaded from the early morning sun. The bathrooms weren't very clean, although it was a busy weekend. I would recommend wearing flip flops in the shower, and/or just using the outdoor one instead. One of the oddities about this campsite is there are two peacocks roaming around the grounds. At times, they can be quite loud. Between the heat and the peacocks, it's pretty hard to sleep in. All things in perspective, though, it's a great deal and I would definitely camp there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

My dog and I camped at the campground. Had a very nice time. Jim and his wife were wonderful. The accommodations were clean, neighbors were friendly and didn't mind the peacocks at all (they are noisiest during mating season). Being alone I felt very safe. There was a night security person keeping an eye on things and Jim and his wife were there during the day. Thanks for being great to my dog and me. We will definitely be back. Hope you fair well during Hurricane Earl...thinking about you. Barbara and Cowboy

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank bndfarm
Reviewed 22 July 2010

After reading the reviews put on here by others, My son, nephew and I decided we were going to have open minds, and give Adventure Bound a try. We were a bit skeptical, but we figured if it was as bad as some people say, we would just go elsewhere. We arrived later in the day, and we didn't know what to expect before our arrival. It was a little different than we thought, but it seemed fine to us. It's not anything fancy; but we weren't looking for fancy- we just wanted a reasonably priced place to come back to in the evening to eat & sleep, and that's what we found here. We figured out that it would cost us each $11.00 per person per night to stay (plus tax)...Where else on earth are you going to find such a value on OBX in the middle of July?
The bathrooms aren't spic & span, but we saw the cleaning lady come twice a day, once in the morning, and again in the evening. If you have 50 campers trekking in and out of the restrooms throughout the day, of course they won't stay clean. Also people in general have a common tendency NOT to pick up after themselves.
We did meet the peacocks, and they made some noise the first 2 evenings, for a bit. After that, we didn't hear a peep out of them, and we never heard them at night like some people said they had. I was told they only make noise when they're scared or startled. If you don't bother them, they probably will be alright. By the end of the week, I had a few of them eating small pieces of bread out of the palm of my hand.
We had pitched out tent in the woods, and after a rain storm the first night, we ended up moving to another spot still in the woods, but on a higher, more level lot. If you know it's going to rain during your stay, I would suggest you go to higher ground-many people got flooded out due to the tremendous amount of rain that fell. I don't really recommend staying back near the swamp....unless you like hearing lots of frogs singing at night, and having lots of mosquitos around. We were pretty content with where we pitched the 2nd time(somewhat cool & shady) and after it rained again, we stayed dry. After speaking with the owner, I concluded that he is a no nonsense man that takes things seriously pertaining to the campground. I have to respect him for how he handles things. I felt that any problem I had would be taken care of without a hitch.
If you're looking for a campground that has all the bells & whistles, and everything under the sun, then I wouldn't recommend coming here. It's a very basic place to stay.I will say that in the day time most people are gone, so it's very quiet, peaceful and quite relaxing also. Keep in mind that the fancier places charge a bit more, and we didn't come to OBX to sit in the campground all day and do things there. We came to go to the beach, see the sights, shop, eat, etc. We weren't interested in fancy; just plain & simple. That's what we found at Adventure Bound. I will be glad to come here again, the next time I visit OBX- Give it a try!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family