“Still like this campground.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
Adventure Bound Campground
eastshane01
“Still like this campground.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

My last review of this campground was in 2009, and not a lot has changed. There were still few tents when I went, so I got my choice of where I wanted to stay, but the last spot under the trees was already taken, so I sat up in the far corner by the road. This trip I brought along my two kids, and man did they have fun. When we would come in for lunch, they would be in and out of the office with badminton rackets, or bean bags for cornhole.

The bathrooms were cleaner this time, but we did come a month earlier in the season, and on an off weekend, because being from the country I like to avoid crowds. The peacocks did make some noise, but less than my neighbors dogs at home, so its not like it was an issue for us. The campground was not crowded, but you do get a better choice of where to set up if you get there earlier in the day. Just make sure to bring insect repellent. Those darn skeeters were an issue until we loaded up on the DEET and repellent sticks.

I personally like the Kitty Hawk area, and enjoy the fact that I had somewhere I could go to sleep, or grill some food that did not cost me over $40 a night. That left a good bit of money to go out and have fun at some of the places that the Outer Banks has to offer. I said last time I would stay here the next time I went to OBX, and I was true to that. Next time I hope to have a bit more saved up though, and spring for a beach house.

Room Tip: Get there earlier in the day, and the far side is the western side, the trees provide evening shade...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank eastshane01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Definitely avoid this campground if bringing children. They do not have a quiet time and people were up at 3am partying. Mosquitos were horrible. The crowd squatting in the Hostel rooms looked like meth chefs. Bathrooms were dirty. Please don't enter the bathhouse with bare feet. The peacocks didn't bother us as we set up away from then.

Camp sites in the southern OBX offer some of the best camping in the world. Cape Pointe with Hatteras lighthouse within site. The elevated view of dunes and ocean at Frisco campground is amazing. Jump the dunes at Oregon Inlet campground to pull in a Red Drum.

Anywhere but this place!

• Stayed September 2011

Travellers are raving about these Kitty Hawk hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

I went to the OBX with my three younger, teenage brothers for a camping trip and vacation near the beach. Staying at this campground was rough, due to the virulent mosquitoes, one working shower (for the women), inavailability of those in the main office, poor advertising from the roads for the campground itself, and the obnoxious peacocks. I could deal with the windy conditions of OBX, but the campground DOES look like someone's backyard as others have mentioned, and there was nothing enjoyable about losing sleep because of the peacocks' incessant noise. There was only one, tiny firepit available. It was not centrallized nor was it large enough to heat or provide lighting to everyone at the campground. Due to its location, one tent of campers could control the usage and accessability of the firepit. The old guys smoking next to the bath house were indeed amiable, as expected from fellow southerners searching for that "Southern hospitality." However, their station at the campground was unknown, and I felt as though they were not trustworthy. If I have the chance to revisit OBX area, I will stay in Kitty Hawk but not at that campground. The best part of that place were the other campers, which were most helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Tent sites are not labeled, so pick anywhere on the grass that suits you.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GingerGnat13
Hampton, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Very small campground. Looks like somebody's backyard. But it is the only one in Kitty Hawk. Beach was somewhat close.
If you are looking for a bigger campsite closer to the beach, drive further south to Cape Hatters....
We didn't stay at Adventure bound because we didn't like the location and the fact that each tent would be too close to each other.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank FlyKat_12
Charlotte NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

It is the only campground in the area, but it was fine. The sites were clean with plenty of picnic tables. There was a nice fire ring for evening fires. The bathroom and showers were a clean and yes there were peacocks, but I enjoyed them. I wish it had electricity, but it was fine without it.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alifewithoutborders
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Best campground in Kitty Hawk but only because it's the only campground in Kitty Hawk.

Likes:
Camping on the North end of the OBX.
A few minutes drive to the beach (but name a place on the OBX that isn't)

Dislikes:
Peacocks at 6:30am
Cleanliness of the toilets, showers and sinks
Felt like a somewhat shifty neighborhood

We visited in the off-season and were able to choose to camp in an area that was a little far from the other campers, I wold expect that in the summer time this area can get really crowded with little privacy/security.

I would not recomend this site for kids.

Unless you have to be in the Kitty Hawk area I suggest driving south to the Rodanthe where there are much better camping options; Camp Hatteras, Hatteras KOA, NPS Campgrounds...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tattoo2
bellbrook, ohio, usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

We wanted to take a nice trip to the Outer Banks, but didn't want to spend the big bucks to rent a place, so we decided to camp. We ended up at Adventure Bound Campground in Kitty Hawk. I loved it. When we first pulled in I was weary. But we found a nice, fairly private spot to pitch our tent. They had the cleanest bath house I have ever seen in a campground, plus two outdoor showers (which will make showering indoors again hard)! People seemed friendly. It wasn't too crowded, and it was just a short drive to the beach (with nearby public beach access). There are two resident peacocks as mentioned above. And a few mornings they were vocal around 6am, but that's about time we wanted to be up and about anyway. I thought they were beautiful and added charm to the place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Beachwoods Resort
Beachwoods Resort
#1 of 4 in Kitty Hawk

Been to Adventure Bound Campground? Share your experiences!