“Nice place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk
Reviewed 22 April 2014

First time using time share bonus week with RCI March 29-April 5, thought it was great. Unit (501), was very clean and nice, plenty of supplies for two of us. Nice to have washer and dryer all amenities right there. Staff was very friendly and nice. My first time to OBX I didn't want to leave. I like the fact we were set back in with privacy. The units may be little outdated but I didn't care as long as they were clean. Nice stay would go back. Just wish check in and check out were different times.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This place was great. Fair price, spacious condos, clean, comfortable beds, lots of amenities and indoor pool. Every little whim responded to quickly! We traveled over spring break. The area looks like it could have traffic issues in Summer! There was parking for the resort across from the beach, but it wasn't huge and the resort is. We had a three bedroom and a one bedroom. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Our teenage boys found plenty to do? Loved Jockey Ridge State park. Boys did hang gliding lesson and they were phenomenal! Loved Black Pelican restaurant and Duck too! Quaint with shops and restaurants! Enjoy

Room Tip: The one bedroom is spacious with two bathrooms a huge plus!
1  Thank kisswells
Reviewed 17 April 2014

First, the location of this resort is great. It's very close to the beach and so many nearby activities and amenities. The resort is tucked away in the woods - - almost has a bit of a camping feel to it - - behind Walmart, Harris Teeter (supermarket) and an ABC liquor store. There is also a CVS and a Starbucks just across the street. You cannot walk to the beach from the resort, but the resort does have it's own gated parking area just across from the beach which is quite convenient. The area is prime location for day trips to Corolla or Cape Hatteras.

Our Unit was above average. With exception to slight wear and tear of the room (wallpaper peeling a bit in the bedroom, small piece of the carpet molding missing) it was clean and comfortable. Our unit was a one-bedroom with a mini kitchen on the top floor facing the parking lot. We shared a washing machine and dryer, vacuum, broom and dustpan with the other unit on our floor. Unlike many other timeshares I have stayed at, the washer and dryer were regular size (most other timeshares I have stayed at either have coin operated small machines or in room apartment sized machines). I prefer the option of sharing these regular sized amenities than having smaller versions of my own. With respect to the "mini" kitchen the only difference I really noticed was that it did not include an oven. This did prove slightly difficult for us since we ate in most nights (easier to do with kids) but we made it work just using the stove top and/or microwave. The coffeemaker was pretty disgusting. I went to make coffee one day only to notice that the water reservoir was VERY dirty. So, I made Starbucks my regular morning routine. The amount of dishes was fine (would have preferred more, but given our room size did not expect more) and there was a good selection of utensils (spatulas, measuring spoons, etc). The one other thing I would have preferred was a frying pan -- we seemed to have all other pot sizes. Yes, the TVs are dated, but they work fine, and both the living and bedrooms had a DVD player (Redbox is located at Walmart and Harris Teeter). The bed was fine, but the pillows were very uncomfortable. The kids stayed on the pull out couch and that seemed fine as well. Unlike another review I read, I did not have any issues with the shower -- pressure and temp were just fine. Our unit did not have a screened porch which would have been nice for rainy days, but the small deck area worked just as well. There are also charcoal grills just outside of the units, but we did not use those.

The amenities were good. A nice outdoor and indoor pool. We didn't swim outdoors (too cold) but the indoor pool was a decent temperature. We did go to the rec area a few times to play bean bag toss and ping pong (there is also a pool table and a VERY small arcade). We did like the nature trail, or at least the portion we traveled on. The playscape however, is in need of attention. Swings were completely broken and nails were out in some places.

So why did I give this place three stars? My husband put it best when he said that staying here, you almost feel like you are staying at someone's house . . . like you are imposing on them. Don't get me wrong, the staff is very nice and helpful, but there was just something about our stay that was not as hospitable as other places we have been too. It may be partly due to the fact that the pool closes at 5:45pm on the weekend (9pm weekdays) or when we asked for an extra packet of dishwasher detergent (just one, and note that they expect the dishes to be cleaned and put away before you leave) and we were told no because it didn't come with the welcome packet. It just lacked something that we have found at other timeshares. We would probably pick a different option in the area before returning here again.

Room Tip: If you plan to visit the pool(s) often, try to get a room in the 100-1000 area.
1  Thank colbs714
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We went April 2014 with my inlaws and 2 children (4 &6). As some have said, the decor is a little dated but everyhting in our units 2014 & 2016 A (both 2 bedroom, full kitchen) was clean and well maintained. All the kitchen items were in great shape although it would be nice if there were more dishes.

Things I didn't like: Being charged for internet - $40/wk. We had pretty good service but it was pretty empty so I can see how in the peak summer months it wouldn't be very good. I don't consider it a 2 bedroom when the 2nd bedroom is a loft without a door. We put our kids down by 8PM and not being able to shut the door is a detriment. The master bedroom faced the street and the light from the streetlamp was SO strong that I could have read my book after our lights were out! We ended up propping up couch cushions to make it dark. the blinds were plastic and pretty useless for blocking light.

Other things to consider: There are a A LOT of stairs on these units. My mom has trouble with stairs and would not be able to stay here. I do understand that the larger ( 3 & 4) bedroom units that are newer have ramps but we weren't able to go see them.

The property is wooded and private. The indoor pool was nice and the gym was large with a good selection of equipment. It is a bit dated but again everything was maintained well. We didn't visit the outdoor pool as it was too cold. My kids enjoyed the playground and the nature trail.

The resort is close to WalMart and Harris Teeter so it's easy to pick up what you need. It's about 30 minutes to Manteo and maybe 35 to Corolla (we went to see the wild horses.) The weather wasn't great while we were there but we found plenty to keep us busy off the beach.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a unit that faces the back (woods) if you want to sleep in.
1  Thank pugzmama
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Our family owns two timeshares with RCI so we've used them quite a bit. This has been, by far, my favorite trade. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are well stocked, the amenities are nice and clean and there is plenty of access to everything you might need for a family vacation.

Some notes: the upstairs bedroom get warm or cold depending on the weather, so shut the curtains during the day to keep down the heat and bring an extra blanket or two.

Also: bring quarters for the ping pong ball machine. All other 'play equipment' can be checked out for free.

Lastly:Wifi isn't free, but it's only 40$ for the week, so if you budget that in, it's really not bad.

It's not right on the beach, but it's a two minute drive away and just as close to a Walmart AND a Harris Teeter (nice grocery store) which I think is a good trade off.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I selected this property because RCI told me that I would have free Wi-Fi. On checking in I was told it was an additional $40+ expense. They had one computer available and I was told I could sit outside and still get free service, but that was it. In addition, the service went out during a rainstorm on Friday and was not restored until Saturday late morning. The unit seemed clean enough and the kitchen was stocked, though I have to say that the kitchen knives were the worst time share knives I have ever had to deal with. In addition, and this was in early March, there was no Kleenex, though plenty of toilet paper. The bed was very hard, though I did get a mattress pad which helped a great deal. Despite being alone and with only one other unit in the four apartment building, the hot water was never really hot - I used the hot tub each night, but ran the hot full and still found it only warm. Another annoyance were the keys -actual metal keys - two sets - one of which were the wrong ones! In addition to come in the front I had to unlock the common door and then the door to my unit - but if I went through the porch, I needed to unlock only the side door. The staff was friendly, but only just so helpful. I would stay again, but look at what I needed to bring.

Room Tip: Because of hurricane flooding, even the first floor rooms can be up a flight of stairs. Ask about h...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GrandpaGene
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The resort is tucked away from the road & the beach , so once you get her it's very quiet. Pretty much standard time share furniture , nothing very comfortable , just for function. Nice unit as far as layout goes & ours had 2 side porches , one screened & one open which would be great later in the season, but we were here in February and it was to cool. Unit needed some maintenance which for this time of year was a surprise because you would think they would be getting ready for the new season ??? Unit had 2 bathrooms & a whirlpool tub in the master bedroom , but not enough hot water to even fill the large tub ? It was only 2 of us so thought that was odd. Did not use many of the resort amen's , but everything was there a available . I would come back , but would walk my unit before I carried all my stuff from the car next time .

Room Tip: Pro's & Cons: High units have no one walking around on your head a midnight , but you have a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk? Share your experiences!