“Kitty Hawk's Best Kept Secret”
Review of Beach Haven

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
Beach Haven
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kitty Hawk
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This past Sunday afternoon, I was hell bent and determined to get away for a few days to Any Beach, USA. I recalled this one cute little motel from my trip two years ago; one I couldn't get a room at back then.

After a quick Google search, I placed a phone call and spoke to the friendliest voice on the other end of the line. Raina bent over backwards to accommodate me on short notice and six hours later, I pulled up to discover a beautifully manicured and well-run establishment. Raina and Betty~Ann are a wonderful duo and after 5 minutes with either of them, I felt like I found a home away from home.

If you want to experience good old fashioned local charm and hospitality, call Raina immediately! Beach Haven is exactly what its name implies..... Best Kept Secret. Reasonable rates, wonderful accomodations, friendly personal service, with a genuine touch of old world class. I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kevin M
There are newer reviews for Beach Haven

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Beach Haven this was our 14th year staying there we would not think of going any where else.Raina is an awesome hostess, she makes you feel at home, I guess that why we feel it is our home away from home! We have met some great friends while staying there.I would recomend the Beach Haven to anyone looking for a quiet peaceful, piece of paradise I have booked my reservation for next year already Thanks Raina and crew!!!

Room Tip: All are nice and clean
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jseft
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I can't say enough about our stay at Beach Haven. I felt like we were at home with friends next door with relaxing evenings on the porch. Raina, our hostess, takes pride in her work and has a heart of gold. When you visit, you are a guest at her home and she is the epitome of "southern hospitality". You can't go wrong at Beach Haven. My oldest daughter is in recovery in Corolla and it was our first trip to visit. My youngest, who is 14, says this is now our home at the beach and her place when visiting her sister. We won't go anywhere else unless of course we have to. Book early...the secret is out and with Raina at the helm you'll have an amazing experience if you can get in. Thank you Raina for making such a rough weekend a truly incredible vacation for all three of us. We'll see you after Labor Day for our next trip to our "new home away from home"!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emerald1964
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I just got back from a four day stay with family and friends at The Beach Haven.Our stay was incredible to say the least. The rooms are newly remodeled and spotlessly clean. The access to the beach is just a few feet away, and there are just so many extras that make this place special. It is a very peaceful, relaxing spot with great little areas to sit and read, lay in a hammock, or just get together with others to chat. Raina is an outstanding hostess and does everything she can to insure that all of the guests are taken care of and have everything that they need.it was the most relaxing vacation that I have had in quite awhile. We loved it so much that we are already booked to go back next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Robin Z
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked a cottage for 3 nights, July 3-5 2014. The day I was due to travel there Hurricane Arthur was visiting too. The forecast said that Arthur would hit the Outer Banks as a category 2 hurricane with a projected storm surge of 6-9 feet that evening. There was a mandatory evacuation of Hatteras Island, and the governor of North Carolina said "Don't put your stupid hat on". I had phoned the day before and asked what the hurricane policy was. The manager told me that I would have to pay 50%, unless the room was re-rented. I decided that safety was my first consideration, I did not want my car flooded, or be trapped if the road washed away as it had done before during hurricanes, so I phoned on the morning I was due to go and told her that I would not be travelling. She charged me 100% of the room, plus taxes. She said only Hatteras Island had the mandatory evacuation. As it is impossible to predict seven days ahead where a hurricane will strike, it is not possible to avoid cancellation charges. So be aware that if you ever book there you will not only lose your vacation but also have to pay the full cost of the room if there is a hurricane. A big disincentive for ever booking to go there.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Diane J
BethBH, Owner at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

In the 8 years that I have owned Beach Haven after my father's passing, I have never responded to a Trip Advisor posting. After all, guests are entitled to their own opinions and that is what this website is all about. However, I feel the need to clarify some facts that have been left out of this review, so our future guests can make a more informed decision.
Having a limited number of in demand rooms, our cancellation policy states that "If you cancel for any reason within 72 hours prior to 3 pm of arrival day: You are responsible for paying 1st nights stay of your reservation including tax-charged to credit card." In addition, it also addresses possible Hurricane weather and reads, "Media hype usually creates unwarranted concerns which all too often are very pre-mature to any real threat to the Outer Banks Northern Beaches. Solely for that reason our policy prevails as follows: During periods when severe storms are in the news, cancellation within 7 days of your arrival obligates you to pay 1/2 of total reservation. We however make every effort to re-rent as to relieve your 50% commitment." So, as you can see the cancellation of a 3 day stay the morning of check-in, without any responsibility, would conflict with both policies. Here is some additional information that was omitted ...
1. Our guest was charged 100% of the room + taxes (if we collect money, we must pay tax) for ONE NIGHT ONLY (not 100% of the total stay as is inferred in the review). So, being charged for one cancelled night is less than 1/2 of the total reservation due per the stated policy.
2. This guest was offered 15% off the entirety, of any future stay at Beach Haven (not mentioned).
3. This guest had the opportunity to come the following day and declined, unlike other sets of guests.
4. We had two rooms with guests that first night so the opportunity to stay was there as forecasts of smaller storm surges were predicted.

In conclusion, I know the Beach Haven staff and manager work hard daily to provide a quiet and clean vacation spot for our visitors. They go the extra mile with a personal touch and that is why we have so many repeat guests and we are rated #1 in Kitty Hawk and have the Award of Excellence from Trip Advisor. You will surely come to the same conclusion as you read through our other reviews. I would like to suggest that if more flexible cancellation policies are most important to you, then you might be better booking at a large chain motel/hotel. Neighboring, family owned lodging establishments have cancellation policies similar to ours.
We share this guest's disappointment with the weather over this past holiday and were upset that all our patrons didn't have picture perfect weather!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in advance of our family's annual vacation in Duck. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The room is right across the street from the beach, well equipped (free Wi-fi, water, etc), and very clean. The manager, Raina, is so friendly and accommodating. Great value and great location. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Liz F
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great little motel across the street from the beach. Raina, the manager, could not be more helpful. We were on our way to Cape Hatteras decided to stay another night instead. A very quiet location and still close to everything. Not for those seeking a resort experience more of a nice little get away. We would be more than happy to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla

Been to Beach Haven? Share your experiences!