“Good bbq but......”

Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Picked up some bbq yesterday and it was tasty. But for $9.99 a pint the container wasn't even full. It weighed 9 oz. and that is including the container. Felt a little ripped off. The vinegar based sauce was a little bland. But the bbq itself was good.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My fiancé and I had lunch here just before returning to New York. The service was excellent and the food was amazing! I had the ribs, which fell right off the bone and were packed with lots of flavor! My fiancé had the brisket, which was soooo tender! I must admit I stole a majority of her brisket, but I can do that now that we're engaged right? Anyways, my only regret is that we didn't find your restaurant sooner. Now that the Outer Banks will be an annual vacation spot we can't wait to visit your restaurant again! Thank you for great memories!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I, like many other travelers, had the brisket and it was delicious but I got the two meat platter and also had the pulled pork which was also good but I bit mushy at times. The chicken and dumplings were a special side and were great!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Overall the food was good with one exception. The brisket was actually pretty gross - really fatty. The pulled chicken was good and the beans were excellent.

It's a very casual restaurant. We arrived at about 6:30pm on an out-of-season Friday evening and had to wait about 20 minutes. There's a section of the place where they sell t-shirts where you can wait, but there's no sitting in the waiting area and there's no bar. (The drinks at dinner are limited to sodas and canned beer.)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

great place- the atmospere, staff and food was top notch! We eat BBQ any chance we get when traveling, and this ranked up with the best places around. The pulled pork and jerked chicken were great, but the brisket was by far the best I've ever had. The service was fast friendly, the portions plenty and priced fairly for what you get. If you like BBQ, this is the place....you can smell the smoke before you get outta the car!