“Yummy!”

Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This location was near our hotel so we walked over and enjoyed some delicious bbq. I had the brisket sandwich it was tender and delicious. My husband had the pulled pork and fried chicken and enjoyed his as well. We weren't as thrilled with the side dishes, but they were pretty typical for a bbq joint. This will definitely be a stop on subsequent trips!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

we usually go there at least once a week for lunch, their bbq is excellent, and their chicken is too.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Another trip to the OBX and another trip to the best BBQ anywhere! This trip I had the smoked chicken which was moist and heavenly. I had the homemade potato salad, the special side of the day and it had the perfect mixture of potato and dressing. The BBQ was so good, I returned for the fried chicken a few days later and it was delicious. I had the white meat and it was the best white mean fried chicken I have had. The coating was crunchy, but not dry and the chicken was juicy. I had the baked beans and these were just average. But the chicken is the star. I love the vinegar based sauce for dipping the chicken. No trip to the Outer Banks is complete without a trip to High Cotton. I got mine to go both times and it was fast and was still hot when I got home.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The pulled pork, mac and cheese, and beans were all great. The brisket was really fatty (even for a brisket). I liked one of the sauce options. The opaque vinegar one was underwhelming. I like the service, friendliness. It was a LOT of food. Overall I would recommend this place for people that swing through the area. They had some amusing shirts.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is a good place to go if you want good N.C. BBQ at a reasonable price. The atmosphere has a very local, down home vibe. The staff is very friendly and your order is back to your table quickly. They have to go so you can take some back home. The prices are very reasonable. The sides will make you think of eating dinner at grandma's house.