“Nice and clean!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kitty Hawk
Oak Ridge
“Nice and clean!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My family just stayed here for 2 nights on points. We stayed on the second floor and had an ocean view. The hotel is older, but it is extremely clean and well maintained. The bathroom was small but had a great shower head. The sink is separate from the shower, which was nice. The staff were all very friendly and nice. We enjoyed the free breakfast and the pool. I would recommend this place to others and will stay there again.

Stayed August 2014
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear TheRoyalFam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so delighted that you and your family had a wonderful stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with us.
Lgoodwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2014

As a Platinum level IHG Reward member, I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Hotels around the country. I feel that I know the Holiday Inn standards, and this hotel does not come close.

I have taken enough college level economics classes to understand the principles of supply and demand. The demand for overnight accommodations in this area is high, because OBX has amazing sandy beaches. There is a limited supply of hotels in the area, increasing the high demand. Therefore, hotels are not challenged to raise the quality of accommodations they offer.

I found this Holiday Inn Express to be older and dirty. The room is in need of updating, or a good cleaning, at the least. There was a lot of dirt and dinge around the a/c and window area. The furnishings have seen their better days. The room is very damp and smelled moldy. We ran the a/c hoping to dry the air and cool down the room, with no luck. The two days we were there, everything in the room felt damp, even though the out door temps were only in the high 70's. The bed (king) was very uncomfortable. My husband and I did not sleep well either night, due to the awful bed coupled with children running up and down the hallway above us. I am not sure why parents (or hotel employees) let children run wildly indoors in public. The first morning we went to breakfast expecting (or I should say hoping) for the usual HIE breakfast experience. While the same "food items" were offered, it was mass chaos. The workers struggled to keep up with the food, while the hotel guests pushed and shoved to get at it. My husband and I stood back a few minutes and watched the craziness unfurl. We were able to get a few things, but then found that there was no where to sit, so we ended up taking food back to our room (ugh...not somewhere I want to eat). The following day we had the same experience, so we skipped HIE breakfast all together and found our own meal.

My personal opinion is that the employees and management in this hotel need to step up the quality of the accommodations, as well as demand appropriate behavior of their guests. Otherwise, I think that the IHG would be wise to remove this hotel from its hotel chain and let it fall into independent hands.

Many of the reviews that I read for this hotel complained about the price. I don't have a problem paying for a nice hotel, so price is not an issue, especially in such a nice location.

If you are looking for a damp, older beach hotel, then you will not be disappointed. If you are expecting Holiday Inn Express quality, please look somewhere else.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank CasualTraveling
Dear CasualTraveling,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. I apologize that your stay with us was less than memorable. I have shared your comments with my management group and we are planning a renovation to start this Fall and to be completed in time for Spring 2015. I hope you will stay with us again while visiting the Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks area. Again, thank you for your review.

Travellers are raving about these Kitty Hawk hotels

Jacksonville
Reviewed 2 August 2014

1) I just returned from my trip to the Outer Banks. Booking only a few days before my visit with my family, I was somewhat limited in my choices. I have stayed at several Holiday Inn Expresses and have not been disappointed. This seemed a logical choice as many other places had questionable reviews with spotty service and other issues being possibilities.

My main concerns in a hotel? Clean room, breakfast, safe surroundings, and a super hot shower with good water pressure. This hotel hit all 4 check marks. No smoking and no pets is a plus with us having kids with allergy issues. The staff was exceptionally friendly. I ended up next to the elevator, which was actually added to the hotel after initial construction so it is somewhat "detached" as in it protrudes from the main hallway. Anyways, I had no issues with elevator noise, or the icemaker, which is pretty cool seeing as I usu avoid these rooms whenever possible.....

Beach access was very easy. Exactly 170 steps down a nice sandy trail. Cross a road, And you're there. Look at my "beach access" pic, and you'll see the trail and the house at the end of it where the beach is. Crystal clear water. No issues with surrounding businesses. I was fortunate enough to be on the beach side but also noted no issues with road noise in the front as the hotel is off of the main road by a few hundred feet. Pool was big enough. Shower on back of hotel. Wish they had a foot wash at entry to pool also but understand logistically that might be difficult to do.

Breakfast was pretty typical for HIE. Pancake maker, fruit, cereals, cinnamon rolls, coffee, tea, eggs, sausage, muffins, bagels, toast, etc. Cookies in the afternoon

Would I stay again? Absolutely. Are prices higher on the Outer Banks? Of course. It's a prime location. Are there a million things to do and a beautiful beach nearby? Yep!

Room Tip: Top floor. Oceanside.
3 Thank Jay1234
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Jay B,
Thank you for taking the time to write an awesome review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. This was music to our ears, to hear that everything you experienced with us was exceptional. Glad you enjoyed your room, our breakfast and our short walk to the beach. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next with us.
lgoodwin
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had a great time for our 4th time staying here!! The hospitality is always great as well as the breakfast served in the mornings! I guess if I had a wish it would be that there was a deck where you could sit in the mornings and looked at the ocean while drinking coffee or if there was a deck or gazebo outside. :)

Room Tip: Good view of the ocean on second floor!!
Dear BarryS,
Thank you for an awesome review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so excited that you have choosen to stay with us 4 times and that our staff gave you excellent service. They will be so excited to read your review. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit with us.
lgoodwin
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If you are staying anywhere on the Outer Banks, you can expect hotel prices to reflect the fact that there is a scarcity of rooms. So any reviewer who complains about the price/location shouldn't be taken too seriously -- it's all about location and supply and demand.

The hotel is clean and fairly new, and the staff was some of the friendliest I've encountered at a hotel. The breakfast buffet was far beyond a "continental" breakfast, featuring a good variety of hot and cold breakfast staples. Yes, it is a short walk to the beach across a small two-lane highway, but we knew that based on looking at a map. If you want beachfront, you'll pay more than this hotel. And there aren't many options in OBX.

All in all, based on what was available, it was more than adequate, and I would recommend it.

2 Thank Go_Cubs_Go_Titans
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you writing a comment about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our wonderful breakfast bar. I will share your comments with my staff as they love reading comments that our guest write. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Yigo Guam
Reviewed 23 July 2014

First let me say I have never in my life left a negative review. Normally I give places the benefit of the doubt that sometimes they may have a bad day. However this is NOT the case here. My husband and I are Holiday Inn vacation club owners as well as IHG members, we stay at Holiday Inns pretty much everywhere we go. The Holiday in Express in Kitty Hawk may have completely turned us off of ever using one again. We booked a weeks vacation here and planned on doing the beach thing our whole, (the whole reason for booking a hotel on the beach) but our first day here our son broke his arm and those plans went out the window. We did tough it out for the next 3 days but by Wednesday evening my son was miserable and tired and his arm hurt. We talked to the manager here, Renee who pretty much smiled as she told us we couldn't check out early with out still being charged. I then spoke to the GM Lani Goodwin who told us the same thing. I am unsure why in the world NO ONE could help us or work with us to let us check out 1 day early. We are limited on the vacation time we get and we are active duty military so not a lot of funds to just give up the $200+ we would lose. I feel trapped here.

To make matters worse the Hotel is in bad need of upgrades. The carpets have seen better days, the breakfast area is so small there is no room to sit and eat. We got a call from the front desk to tell us to please close the shower curtain because the room below us was getting leaked on! No one was even in the shower at the time but I am sure our shower curtain should not be the reason the room below us was leaking. There was a bandage on the ceiling covering a hole.

I wouldn't have even complained about those things but here I am TRAPPED with a nine year old that can't go to the beach.

Book at your own risk!!!

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin so try to stay on the top floor and not near the stairwell or elevator. Better...
3 Thank mistyschoenly
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear mistyschoenly,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel does not do the HIE name justice. Because of the location, it is expensive (I stayed on points and used more than at most other properties). It was disappointing that the hotel is not oceanfront, but requires a bit if a walk and road crossing to get to the beach. The room was adequate, but it and the public areas have seen better days. Long overdue for a facelift! Not dirty, but crumbling.

Staff were very welcoming and helpful...they deserve a nicer, more up to date working environment.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank BlueHorizons1
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear M Y,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. And just to let you know we are do for our remodel this winter to be completed by April 2015. We hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitty Hawk
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,402 reviews

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks? Share your experiences!