“Standard with a plus”

Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kitty Hawk
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a standard Holliday Inn express room: It’s clean, decent in terms of space, offers an acceptable Internet speed access and it’s located at the very beginning of your run down through OBX (in case you’re headed south).
The plus of this hotel is being neighbors to a friendly and good Chinese restaurant with a good sushi bar.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the great Sanya Restaurant. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next stay while visiting the Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks area.

There are newer reviews for Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Kitty Hawk. We booked through Priceline, and got a pretty reasonable rate. The location is excellent, especially for us, since we were heading to a house rental in duck. Are room was a decent size - two double beds, (added a crib) and felt we had plenty of room to move around. I am not a fan of the sink outside the bathroom - but I guess it would have been better in there (based on size).

What surprised me most at this hotel, was how amazing the customer service was. We had a long ride from Boston, and asked for late checkout, they informed me I could sign up for IHG rewards, and that would allow 1 pm checkout - and then they actually did all the work for me. Whether we walked by a housekeeper or the morning staff at breakfast - EVERYONE was very pleasant and went out of there way to engage you (not in an overbearing way).

I have stayed at a lot of hotels - and don't know if I have ever been more impressed with how nice the staff was.

We plan to make OBX a yearly thing, and will not hesitate to stay here

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear RodgerDodger1230,
Thank you for your excellent 5 Star Review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so delighted that you all had an awesome stay with us. Our staff strives to give the best customer service on the Outer Banks and through your words it shows. We look forward to your next stay with us while visiting the Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks area. Thank you!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was here to do some outer banks fishing and stayed at this hotel for a few days. It is clean and conveniently located. The rooms are smaller than a other Holiday Inn Express hotels I have stayed in and the cost was very high. I understand it is a beach destination but it's still not worth the money you pay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We value your comments and are pleased to hear that your room was cleaned and that you enjoyed your time fishing. We look forward to your next stay with us while visiting the Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks area.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My family just stayed here for 2 nights on points. We stayed on the second floor and had an ocean view. The hotel is older, but it is extremely clean and well maintained. The bathroom was small but had a great shower head. The sink is separate from the shower, which was nice. The staff were all very friendly and nice. We enjoyed the free breakfast and the pool. I would recommend this place to others and will stay there again.

Stayed: August 2014
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear TheRoyalFam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so delighted that you and your family had a wonderful stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

As a Platinum level IHG Reward member, I have stayed at many Holiday Inn Hotels around the country. I feel that I know the Holiday Inn standards, and this hotel does not come close.

I have taken enough college level economics classes to understand the principles of supply and demand. The demand for overnight accommodations in this area is high, because OBX has amazing sandy beaches. There is a limited supply of hotels in the area, increasing the high demand. Therefore, hotels are not challenged to raise the quality of accommodations they offer.

I found this Holiday Inn Express to be older and dirty. The room is in need of updating, or a good cleaning, at the least. There was a lot of dirt and dinge around the a/c and window area. The furnishings have seen their better days. The room is very damp and smelled moldy. We ran the a/c hoping to dry the air and cool down the room, with no luck. The two days we were there, everything in the room felt damp, even though the out door temps were only in the high 70's. The bed (king) was very uncomfortable. My husband and I did not sleep well either night, due to the awful bed coupled with children running up and down the hallway above us. I am not sure why parents (or hotel employees) let children run wildly indoors in public. The first morning we went to breakfast expecting (or I should say hoping) for the usual HIE breakfast experience. While the same "food items" were offered, it was mass chaos. The workers struggled to keep up with the food, while the hotel guests pushed and shoved to get at it. My husband and I stood back a few minutes and watched the craziness unfurl. We were able to get a few things, but then found that there was no where to sit, so we ended up taking food back to our room (ugh...not somewhere I want to eat). The following day we had the same experience, so we skipped HIE breakfast all together and found our own meal.

My personal opinion is that the employees and management in this hotel need to step up the quality of the accommodations, as well as demand appropriate behavior of their guests. Otherwise, I think that the IHG would be wise to remove this hotel from its hotel chain and let it fall into independent hands.

Many of the reviews that I read for this hotel complained about the price. I don't have a problem paying for a nice hotel, so price is not an issue, especially in such a nice location.

If you are looking for a damp, older beach hotel, then you will not be disappointed. If you are expecting Holiday Inn Express quality, please look somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank CasualTraveling

Dear CasualTraveling,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. I apologize that your stay with us was less than memorable. I have shared your comments with my management group and we are planning a renovation to start this Fall and to be completed in time for Spring 2015. I hope you will stay with us again while visiting the Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks area. Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

1) I just returned from my trip to the Outer Banks. Booking only a few days before my visit with my family, I was somewhat limited in my choices. I have stayed at several Holiday Inn Expresses and have not been disappointed. This seemed a logical choice as many other places had questionable reviews with spotty service and other issues being possibilities.

My main concerns in a hotel? Clean room, breakfast, safe surroundings, and a super hot shower with good water pressure. This hotel hit all 4 check marks. No smoking and no pets is a plus with us having kids with allergy issues. The staff was exceptionally friendly. I ended up next to the elevator, which was actually added to the hotel after initial construction so it is somewhat "detached" as in it protrudes from the main hallway. Anyways, I had no issues with elevator noise, or the icemaker, which is pretty cool seeing as I usu avoid these rooms whenever possible.....

Beach access was very easy. Exactly 170 steps down a nice sandy trail. Cross a road, And you're there. Look at my "beach access" pic, and you'll see the trail and the house at the end of it where the beach is. Crystal clear water. No issues with surrounding businesses. I was fortunate enough to be on the beach side but also noted no issues with road noise in the front as the hotel is off of the main road by a few hundred feet. Pool was big enough. Shower on back of hotel. Wish they had a foot wash at entry to pool also but understand logistically that might be difficult to do.

Breakfast was pretty typical for HIE. Pancake maker, fruit, cereals, cinnamon rolls, coffee, tea, eggs, sausage, muffins, bagels, toast, etc. Cookies in the afternoon

Would I stay again? Absolutely. Are prices higher on the Outer Banks? Of course. It's a prime location. Are there a million things to do and a beautiful beach nearby? Yep!

Room Tip: Top floor. Oceanside.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jay1234
Lani6120, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Jay B,
Thank you for taking the time to write an awesome review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. This was music to our ears, to hear that everything you experienced with us was exceptional. Glad you enjoyed your room, our breakfast and our short walk to the beach. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next with us.
lgoodwin

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had a great time for our 4th time staying here!! The hospitality is always great as well as the breakfast served in the mornings! I guess if I had a wish it would be that there was a deck where you could sit in the mornings and looked at the ocean while drinking coffee or if there was a deck or gazebo outside. :)

Room Tip: Good view of the ocean on second floor!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear BarryS,
Thank you for an awesome review about the Holiday Inn Express Kitty Hawk. We are so excited that you have choosen to stay with us 4 times and that our staff gave you excellent service. They will be so excited to read your review. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit with us.
lgoodwin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitty Hawk
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks? Share your experiences!