“Great local Motel”
Review of Kure Keys Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Kure Keys Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Salisbury, North Carolina
“Great local Motel”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Clean room, small joint, good pool & outside jacuzzi...Good location as well on the northend of the small strip for Kure beach

Just give it a shot and you will be pleasantly surprised by this small gym on the island!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Timothy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

If you go down to Kure Beach, you definitely have to stay at Kure Keys. It's not a hotel stay ..... it's an experience. The owner David is really down to earth and his customer service skills rival those of a five star hotel.The buildings and grounds were immaculate. It definitely has that Key West feel if you have ever been. The pool and hot tub were very clean and inviting. No crowds and no waiting for chairs like at the big chain hotels. The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable with the shower being big enough for two ;-) The place had a great vibe. Awesome experience and will return again...and again...and again.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank NYSCOTSMAN
Tennessee
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am somewhat ambivelant about reviewing this hotel. My husband and I were looking for a quick get-away before the 4th of July. We had visited the Carolina Beach area a few years ago, we thought it might be nice to visit it again. Based on the reviews on TA, we decided to check out Kure Keys Motel. I called to make reservations. Great customer service. As I had checked out the hotel's web site, I knew it wasn't beach front, but there is a nice balcony where you can see the beach and have a drink in the evening. There were two types of rooms listed (standard and kitchenette), so when I was offered the deluxe room for $150 per night, I assumed it was a kitchenette. Not a so bad for this time of the year, especially since it was a holiday timeframe. It was also the closest room to the beach so good views right outside our room.

I have asthma, so musty smells, mold, pet dander, and dust can really make me sick. Not a problem here. This place was spotless. No mold anywhere. Sheets and towels clean. Refrigerator clean. Mike and JoAnn were both so kind and friendly. They were knowledgable about the area and offered suggestions about things to do and where to eat. Swimming pool/hot tub clean, and all outside areas were clean and well manicured. The second floor balcony was fabulous. Cool breeze in the evening. Lovely place to have a glass of wine or lemonade and watch the ocean.

Now the not so great. This place is old, which is fine. I like vintage "touristy court" places. But the room was marginal, and I am being generous. Two double beds. No kitchenette, but I take responsibility--I should have asked for clarification.The mattresses were terrible. One was super hard. When I pushed on the middle of the mattress, I could feel the springs The other mattress was so soft that it felt like you could fall into the floor. No electrical outlet in the bathroom, so no mirror to dry hair by. No coffee maker so we bought a cheap one at Walgreen's. Free coffee available in the office from 8:30-noon, but we wake up way before then.

I really wanted to like this place. If it wasn't so clean, and the people so nice, it would be a 1 or 2. Because of the view, the people who work here, and the clean room and grounds, I will give it a 3. If you haven't been and decide to stay here, lower your expectations and you'll do fine.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MissIzzy
KureKeys, Owner at Kure Keys Motel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thanks very much for your feedback on your visit to my motel. I'm very sorry that I was not aware of a problem with the mattresses in your room, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. New replacements are on the way!
Best regards,
David Tripp
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

20 years ago this would have been lovely. It really needs a bit of an update and attention. But having said that, the linen was clean, the pool and jacuzzi were great and the beach was just around the corner. If you are looking for luxury don't come here. But if you're just looking for a bed for the night it's fine. However, I would add that 2 nights at the Hilton in Orlando was only a teensy bit more expensive than one night here! Air con very noisy - so we had the option of quiet night but horribly hot, or cool but not sleeping because of noise. I ended up coming out of my room at 2 am just for some fresh air!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank vpollyb
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Based on the reviews on this site, I decided to book my stay at the Kure Keys - and I'm SO GLAD I did. Had a wonderful stay: the location is ideal (a few hundred yards from the beach), the staff was very friendly and helpful, and this might have been the cleanest hotel room I've ever had anywhere! The feel of the place is very "old school" - and I mean that in a good, relaxed way. Cinder-block walls, actual KEYS for your room - not a card to slide! - and air conditioning units in the wall, not central air - to ME, that says "non-chain beach motel," which was EXACTLY what I wanted. In fact, I'm already trying to figure out when I can come back . . .

Room Tip: I got an efficiency - the refridgerator was full-size, and kept my food/beverages cold, cold, cold...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed here last minute during Memorial Day weekend. We were greeted with a warm welcome then were allowed to check out the room since we generally stay at large chain hotels. We are so glad we stayed here! The rooms were cool (AC) and extreamly clean. Room was clean and comfortable with a dorm fridge and tv. Room was a bit dated but that didnt matter to us (I mean we were at the beach and hardly in the room. We were right next to the beach (1 street back) and they had a pool and jacuzzi. There were two chairs for resting and reading right outside the door and the second floor balcony overlooking the ocean was a perfect spot to have dinner. There is a grill that is avail for rent for a reasonable $3 an hour. Directly across the street is a shop for beverages and beach/fishing items. The closest restaurant is about a minute walk down the street. Diner near the pier (about a 3 minute walk) is great for breakfast. Great beach with wide sand area and good waves. Can't say enough good things about this place. I am now planning on spending a week there for summer vacation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank twstorm
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I brought my 2 teenage children for 2 nights during Memorial Day Weekend, which is all I could afford, both with time and money. We desperately wanted to stay *at* the beach, and Kure Keys was perfect! The owner made accommodations for us since we couldn't do a 3-night minimum...such nice staff and made us feel right at home. I also appreciated coffee in the morning. Great view from the deck upstairs, easy walk to the beach, clean rooms, nice pool, great location. We will definitely go back. It was a little dated, which I enjoyed because it was a retro throw-back to when I stayed at motels with my family when I was a kid -- but a nice wide-screen tv with cable and wifi that worked. Also, it was very clean, which says a lot about a place so close to the beach. I found out about Kure Keys from tripadvisor, so I wanted to leave a comment to help the next person trying to decide. I just hope that doesn't mean I can't get a room the next time I want to get away to the beach.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
#4 of 6 in Kure Beach
Drydock Motel
Drydock Motel
#11 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Kure Keys Motel? Share your experiences!