“Update the rules for the pool to NO FUN ALLOWED!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seven Seas Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Seven Seas Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Kure Beach B&B and Inns
nc
“Update the rules for the pool to NO FUN ALLOWED!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Well, the title says it for me. This was our second visit to Seven Seas Inn. My kids had so much fun the first time, we jumped at a last minute weekend getaway before school started. I thought we got lucky my getting room number 1 at the last minute. The first time we stayed in room 5 so I knew room 1 had the private balcony/patio part.

Upon arrival it was like nothing had changed from the time before. Same guy checked us in. We quickly got to our room and the boys (aged 12 and 10) helped me unload the car and groceries and changed into swimsuits. They were in the pool within 10 minutes. That's what we loved about this place. The pool and beach right there together. I KNEW it was't a fancy, clean, top of the line hotel, but I was good with that. The room seemed like nothing had been changed except the tile in the shower. But it was still much dirtier than before. There was still food on the floor, and "palmetto bugs" all over. Yes, still alive. Even the one that chased me around the shower. Probably hilarious for my husband to watch me screaming and running from one end to the other of the shower (3 feet). I did notice no kitchen towels like before, no bowls. The next day I mentioned it to the housekeeper and she quickly fixed it for me though.

The bed was not bad. I have actually slept on worse. What annoyed all 4 of us was that the "bedroom" was COLD because the air conditioner was in there. Leaving the door open between the bedroom and living room did not cool down the living room enough. There was a fan in the wall to help circulate the air, but I didn't DARE touch it. There was SO much dust and dirt on the fan I was afraid of causing respiratory distress in somebody in the family if they inhaled with the fan on. The balcony was OK to stand outside and look out, but if you sit, you are looking at all the bushes with beer bottles, beer cans, and water bottles, and cigerette butts. Somebody definatily liked their Bud Light but left all the cans and bottles for everyone to see.

The trip went well though until the end. My husband and I are both in the military and have slept in much worse conditions, so we can suck up a lot if we are having fun. And we were, until the last hour. The morning we were going to leave, the boys decided to get in the pool with some other kids they had met there. They were all playing like a 9, 10 and two 12 year old were, 2 girls and 2 boys. Laughing, playing Marco Polo, that kind of thing. On the other side of the pool was a family with 4 kids under the age of 5, acting like little kids laughing and splashing. Normal fun. Then some guy comes out and yells at the little kids to stop splashing and to "keep the water in the pool." I honestly thought it was their grandpa because the 2 women just took it and the kids all stopped playing, went to the sides of the pool and just sat there. My kids and the girls kept playing. Then my 10 year old got out, walked over to the deep end, and jumped in. JUMPED. Did not dive. The guy went straight for my son, so I was up and on the move. He started telling my son there is no splashing and no jumping. All the big kids had water guns they won at the arcade the night before and he said they were not allowed. I then butted in and asked when jumping got banned because they jumped the last time they were here and have jumped every time this visit, along with almost every other kid and many adults. There had been a few cannonball contests, just saying. Well, he pointed to the sign that said "no diving," and I pointed out they were NOT diving, they were jumping, not head first. He said it was the same thing and violated health department code. I said that diving and jumping are 2 different things, and asked to see the code. He told me I was getting technical and I pointed out that maybe they should update their rules board to include no jumping, no splashing and no toys. None of those were on the list, and that's what all the kids were doing. Oh, and then my mouth was on fire so I told him to add, NO FUN ALLOWED. He said it was always that way and I asked why nobody ever came and stopped them before since they can see them on the cameras they watch from in the office. He walked away, and we started leaving. For good. He then went to my husband while my husband was packing the truck and kept saying I was just mad. My husband pointed out much nicer than me the same things, except he added a few like the "palmetto bugs". The guy asked him, "What do you want me to do, shoot them with a shotgun" What a smarta**. When I asked why he was trying to talk to my husband and not me he put his hand in my face and said I am talking to him, not you. A complete disrespect. Even my kids were like, we don't want to come back if that's how it is. So that's it. I guess if that guy isn't around, who seemed to be the owner, but had a foreign accent, you can have fun in the pool and put up with the rest. But if that guy is there, kiss the fun goodbye.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank jrc1716

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Washington, WV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

I'm not usually one to complain, BUT this was the worst experience we've had renting a place. We checked in and then went down the beach to join our group of 17 family/friends that were staying at another place. When we returned and got ready for bed my feet were black from the dirt on the floor. Washed feet and got in bed only to find the bed had sand between the sheets which meant that the linens had not been changed since last occupants. The office was closed for the night so had to wait until morning to complain. Got ready to take a shower and guess what?? No HOT water. We requested our money back but were refused. The owner's son said his dad would have to ok it and he was out of town. He said he would move us to an efficiency at no higher cost. We went to check it out and it looked good.....wrong !!!! The floor in there was just as dirty as the first room. We were told we'd have to move out of that area and back to another room as this was rented on Thursday and we had paid up thru Friday. When the owner got back we approached him about leaving a day early and getting a refund. He refused, and was even nastier than the son which was pretty bad. The towels were dingy and stained. One wash cloth even had dried blood on it. Told the owner we would not be back and he said "I don't care". He'd better start caring about how he treats customers or one day he won't have any.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Ruth_MWV

Travellers are raving about these Kure Beach hotels

mount airy, nc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

Ok. Here it is. Straight forward. Moms and teens, you can't use your hairdryer. It blows the room fuse and you have to go to the office and have them reset the breaker. My room fuse blew at 4:30pm and at 11:45pm, the office had still not reset the breaker. the office was closed at that time, and we had to go to the owners apt to find them to reset the breaker so we could have lights and power and much needed air conditioner. Also, kids are not allowed to JUMP into the pool. They are required to use the steps to enter the water. Jumping results in management coming to the pool and confronting the child, not the parents and the situation can get ugly. The pool is heavily "patrolled" by the management. They are watching the pool and all of the property with cameras everywhere. Don't stay here and then say, "ooooo I should've listened to travelmama37!"

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank travel_mama37
Dunn, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

During a day trip to Kure Beach, we walked into the Seven Seas Office and reserved our 2-nite stay during a peak week. After we booked, I checked the reviews here. Honestly, I was worried by what I read. We decided we'd focus on the positive and make our own call at the end of it.

Overall, we were pleased. My husband's comment was, "this is a family-run beach hotel that's been here forever. It's not the Ritz Carlton." If you're looking for a fancy resort vacation, this is not your place. If you're like us and you want a safe, clean, friendly place to stay and be right on the beach, have a pool, and not really need to drive your car anywhere once you get there--This is the perfect spot.

Kure Beach is one of several of NC's beaches that seems untouched by time and commercialism--& Seven Seas is part of that charm.

Yes, the place has some years on it, but it was obvious to us that the owners maintain and update the rooms, that they put their money back into the business. They've tiled the bathrooms, there are 2" blinds on the windows, the mattresses were very comfortable, the decking and steps are made of the hi-tech boarding, not wood (yay, no splinters for our 3 year old), they have a shower at both the beach access and the pool area.

For a summer weekend get-away, the value was great, the location was perfect, and we had a wonderful time. The wi-fi was reliable and my husband was able to get some work done while we were there. Our room had a fridge and a coffee maker. A nice addition to rooms without a kitchen would be a microwave. On a personally-finicky note: I'm hoping that the next item on the list to update at the Seven Seas is the towels...they were clean, I just think that it's time for some of them to be retired. I LOVE good quality, thick towels at a hotel... I frown a little when towels are small, seem worn or aren't very soft...but that's just a personal quirk. It WON'T keep us from staying here again. I'm certain we'll be back.

Notes on Kure Beach: There's a great playground 4 blocks or so back from the beach, wonderful restaurants, and it's close enough to Carolina Beach that if you WANT the boardwalk cheesiness you're only minutes away. I think my husband has fished on every pier in NC, and he's decided he really likes Kure's--no alcohol allowed, one rod per person, reasonable pier fee... only problem was there was nothing biting!

I hope you'll give Seven Seas a chance if you're looking for a place to stay at Kure.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JRaeJ
Walt Disney World, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Beware.....They will tell you they have a particular room available then when you get there they change it up on you...We stayed here last year while visiting family that lives in Wilm. The room was dated with old furniture, cracked window and bugs in the window sills. The floor was sandy, and the kitchen was limited on utensils. No paper towels, soap, etc. The handle to the shower fell off when I turned the faucet on. And the AC was only in one room. We requested linens for the pullout couch that we finally received at 11pm. after several requests at the office. Then the owners son "stalked" me and my niece as we were out on the beach benches talking. He was riding in circles around the block watching us and interegating my oldest son that was outside talking on his phone. Unusual that they will not allow your pets there but theirs is allowed to swim in the pool...Gross...I would NOT recommend this place to anyone...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank Carolinagirl3112
Salisbury, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

we have stayed here a few times, not sure why, just thought maybe we had picked a bad time to stay and that the next attempt to be better. never again. i can't even list all the things that have been wrong with the stays. the prices quoted on the phone have never been the same when we get there. we have yet to get the room we requested. the management has been more then rude every time and most importantly. the owners watch the girls and children in the pool on monitors from their office and home. I was told this by the management, with out them knowing that is was actually my family and sisters in the pool and judging by the comments that where made they are not doing this for the safety of the children or their property. they should be in jail, not running and nasty hotel. i have never rated any other business, but i felt it was my duty to let parents know what was going on. there are many other places to stay in kure beach

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank gostraight74
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

Bugs in our room and bed. Very nasty and had not been cleaned. Had to leave in the middle of the night with my two toddlers and drive home due to bugs in our bed. Then was offered no refund. Only a discount on our next stay as if we will ever stay again.

• Stayed March 2011
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#11 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Seven Seas Inn? Share your experiences!