“Amazing food!! Quaint atmosphere.”

Freddie's Restaurante
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Kure Beach
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This is one of my top restaurant choices of anywhere we have ever eaten. It may sound weird to say you want to go and try pork chops at a restaurant but these aren't just any pork chops. They are thick and just melt in your mouth. I ordered the Apple walnut with amaretto sauce and it was amazing. I almost got the peach pecan with brown sugar sauce and I'm sure it would have been great too. The salad that comes with it has a sweet Italian dressing that is so good. The crab dip was delicious. My husband ordered chicken Florentine and was very happy with his choice. They have a couple of tables for families and larger groups, but we enjoyed it as a date night while our teenagers stayed in our rental and had pizza. I strongest of strongly recommend that you try Freddie's if you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Freddie's Restaurante

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We recently visited Kure Beach and had the pleasure of eating at Freddie’s. This place is a Kure Beach tradition and its good reputation is well-deserved. The place is small, maybe 15 tables that start as soon as one opens the door. (Aside from the bar, there is nowhere to wait for a table without hovering over the other patrons.) It opens at 5:00 or 5:30, and we got there at 6:00 and it was packed, and stayed that way all night. We had the good fortune of grabbing 3 of the 4 seats at the bar in the back of the restaurant and had a great time talking with the bartender while we waited for a table. Of course, we didn’t just wait but drank! He recommended some very good chianti, which my friend and I truly enjoyed, and my wife had a martini-type cocktail from the extensive martini menu, which she also really liked.

Freddie’s specializes in pork chops, so that is what my wife and I had. I had the garlic chop, which was an inch-and-a-half-thick chop -- at least – which was broiled and then covered in a light brown sauce with many, many garlic cloves. My wife had the peach pork chop, which was the same thick port chop but with a peach sauce and canned peaches over it. While both were good, the garlic pork chop was a dish was clearly the winner. My friend passed on the pork and instead ordered the eggplant parmesan, in which each slice was cut thickly and then deep fried with some spaghetti sauce poured over it and cheese melted on top. His dish was ok, but not to the same level of the pork chops. The menu had two prices for the pork chops, $17 and $21. Our waiter told us it was $17 for one chop and $21 for two chops, so we ordered the double chops and had the second chop for dinner two nights later.

We passed on dessert as ice cream in Carolina Beach was calling our name, but can’t wait to return to Freddie’s for some more of their delicious pork chops, drinks and nice hospitality.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I live in Wilmington on the south Side. We are 20 minutes from Kure Beach which is the southern most town on the Cape Fear Peninsula. It was early enough so we decided to go to Freddies a great Italian restaurant. When you go to an Italian restaurant your taste for the marinara sauce might be a little different than the owners. That is why I ordered a side of spaghetti with my Firehouse pork chop pizzaiola. It was absolutely superb. I even ordered some extra sauce for the pork chop. It is a very small restaurant so we got there around 6:30. There was a 30+ min wait. When we were seated the wait was already up to 2 hours. People know a good restaurant and always come back. The service was fantastic The staff was as friendly as could be. Even the hostess Hannah was very busy cleaning seating people all with a cute smile and a friendly attitude. Our waiter was Patrick aka Pasquale and he was very good and sincere.

We started off with a wonderful crab dip. It was melt in your mouth good. All in all an excellent spot whether you go there in tourist season or not. They don't take reservations so make sure you are there early and it's not raining because you will have to wait outside. I forgot to mention the salad dressing was out of this world. Go Hungry because you WILL HAVE PLENTY TO EAT!

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Great little mom and pop restaurant. Service, bread, food all top notch. Walked out smiling. Best Italian restaurant around.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Heidi was a great hostess and was very welcoming and Jessica made an excellent martini. The red sauce was too sweet and the calamari was very salty. The chicken fettuccine Alfredo was very tasty. The veal dishes at $27 a piece were just so-so along with the meatball with the spaghetti. With all the rave reviews for this restaurant we were disappointed with the food but atmosphere was excellent.