“Wonderful little family motel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Admiral's Quarters

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Admiral's Quarters
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Carthage, NC
“Wonderful little family motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I have been coming to Admirals Quarters for 7 years. We found it be accident one year when our much larger and fancier motel overlooked our reservation. Yes, there are many top of the charts luxury motels with ceiling fans, marble counters, etc. If that is what you are looking for you might want to go elsewhere. This is a sweet , charming motel from the 50's or so. It has always been clean and the accomodations very comfortable. It feels like "coming home" every time we come. The staff is very friendly, and helpful. Anything I have ever requested they tried to provide. I love sitting on the decks in the evening and watching the ocean. I have stayed on the second and third floors and find both to be wonderful.

They have been updating some of their rooms... a few each year. I got one this year and it was sparkliing! THanks all of you AQ! We will be back next year.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KQHudson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wheeling, West Virginia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

I have been staying at Admiral's Quarters since the mid 1990s. I was not there in June 2010 but I did not have a choice. I haven't been down since 2007 but that is only because of financial reasons. I really want to come down again; I have always stayed in a 2nd floor room and I love the view of the ocean; I am not sure of the complaint of not seeing the ocean from the second floor. I've always been in either 206 or 208. The staff is great and friendly. My husband and I were down for our first anniversary and they welcomed us on their marquis (1997). When he died in 1999, I made our regular reservation for 2000 for a week; but I wasn't sure if I would be able to stay the whole week; they were so kind and understanding. I was able to stay the entire week. I am trying to get down again this year as it would be our 15th wedding anniversary and we had planned to do something special; while I love Admiral's Quarters, it is a bit steep for my wallet right now even for only a 3-4 night stay but I'm not ruling it out. If I could, I would because that's where I've stayed since the year we found it. (I've been going to Kure Beach since I was a kid with my parents; and I'm now 54). So I may "see" you this summer but not sure; all depends on finances. But we did have something special planned and I'm hoping I can get the funds together. I'd fly down and it would only be a 3-4 night/day stay; not an entire week.

Room Tip: 2nd floor middle of motel 204-206-208 or 3rd 306
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Enjoyed the oceanfront room, with private balcony and our own rockers. The best way to end the day after seeing all the nearby sites! The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was reminiscent of the 1950's Mom 'n Pop hotels, clean, quiet, and included everything you need. Enjoyed the non-chain atmosphere of the hotel and that you were a short walk from the pier, shops and restaurants. The only negative I could say would be the lack of an elevator to reach the upper floors. This could hinder those with physical limitations. Bring your own pillows for extra comfort. Had a great time, and would not hesitate to return or recommend the Admiral's Quarters.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank graciesc
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Friendly staff. Room was just as expected based on information on the website. Kure Beach is a nice family beach and Admiral's Quarters fits my expectations of a beach front, Mom-and-Pop hotel. Bring pillows from home but rest of room is comfy and liveable. Lots of things to do in walking distance with many other attractions just a short drive away. Had a great time!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank MBChemist
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Stayed here for a weekend, paid the extra $$ for a top (3rd) floor 2 bdrm unit. Will not go back. Unfortunately, this place is simply old and not well maintained. Old I don't mind - I used to go to a wonderful family beach house that was over 40 years old. Cleanliness is another issue and a show stopper for us.

The good:
Great oceanfront location, right on the beach. In the middle of Kure Beach, you can walk to pier and a couple of restaurants (including the venerable Big Daddy's for seafood and a Tastee Freeze for soft serve). Only 3 miles from the NC Aquarium and 4 miles from the Ft Fisher-Southport Ferry.
Pool between building and beach, easy access to beach (50 yards from motel).
Staff was pleasant and helpful.

The not so good:
No elevator - didn't bother us, but something to consider if you have people who can't climb stairs.
Maintenance - leaking toilet, door on shower that required an adult to open or close, linoleum tile curling up off the floor, can't use some of the outlets for a hair dryer because the same circuit carries the A/C window unit, blinds over the sliding glass door that fall on your head when you try to adjust them
Air conditioning is provided by window units, kept us plenty cool but boy were they loud!
Both (east facing) sliding glass door and back (west facing) window had white vertical blinds only, no curtains, so they blocked very little sunlight.

The Ugly:
Cleanliness. The carpet was worn (ok) and dirty (not ok). Looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. When we moved an end table to get a charging cord to reach we unleashed a dust storm from what had accumulated behind the end table. When we wiped the bed headboards with a damp cloth, all levels of grime were picked up. Place simply smelled and felt dirty.

Maybe in my younger (pre-marriage) days this would have been an OK place to crash and be close to the surf. But for family, just not the place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank WhoIs60
TimAQ1, Manager at Admiral's Quarters, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
We have only one third floor unit that does not yet have custom made drapery. We are not only maintaining, but remodeling. Unfortunately we can only afford to remodel 4 to 5 rooms per year. We do our best to ensure a relaxing vacation and always stand by our standards of cleanliness as well as our sanitation grade. Again, if someone isn't happy with their room and they do not want to stay, we don't want them to stay. We do not advertise that we have elevators. Also the bedding in our 3rd floor 2 rooms units is not only brand new but upgraded. Our apologies if it did not meet someone's expectations.
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

A/C was noisy. Room was small and no ceiling fan. No light above bed,no plug-in to move lamp. Family on 3rd floor above (me in 2nd floor room) loud all the time, had requested to be seperated from family groups, ignored. Pools had sand in them. Price too high for what was offered. Could not see ocean from 2nd floor room due to woodwork/repair on balcony and low sitting rocking chairs. Long walk to beach from room / no handicapped assistance. Beds were hard and pillows were awful. Bathroom had no floormat in tub,no extra handrails, slick tub floor dangerous...no traction...slip/fall hazard.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Puggers61
I am on site every day. In July we had no such complaints from a guest. ? We have a on site manager and we do our best to accomodate every request for quiet. The view from our second floor balconies is wonderful and our pillows are brand new this year with hypo allergenic covers. In any situation if a customer isn't happy we will move them to another room but simply cannot help them if they do not tell us.
ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

very old motel, good location, could smell people smoking from balcony, very small balcony, not able to see ocean if sitting down in rocking chairs. very old rocking chairs.
the motel was clean just very very old. would not stay there again

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Southport
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#11 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Admiral's Quarters? Share your experiences!