“Family Friend Motel”
Review of Admiral's Quarters

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Admiral's Quarters
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Wilson, North Carolina
“Family Friend Motel”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This is a privately owned motel. It is very family friendly and right on the beach. They are working on updating the rooms, but it is a work in progress. It is not modern, but clean and comfortable. Everyone seemed very nice from reservations to check in and check out. I really enjoyed the family atmosphere! I am sure that we will be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Karen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Garner
Reviewed 28 October 2013

PROS:

Clean bedding.
No bugs.
Updated refrigerator and microwave.
Updated kitchen counter tops, sink & stove
Updated bathroom vanity
Very close to the pier - if you fish, this would be a good location
Short walking distance to several restaurants – the Kure Diner is just around the corner and is a true little gem.

CONS:

Bird droppings!!! Droppings from black birds (Starlings, perhaps?) were so abundant on our balcony that we couldn't sit out there to enjoy the oceanfront view - not even once during our stay. One of the main reasons I booked this suite was because they advertised rockers on every balcony. There was one rocker and one plastic chair, but they were dirty with bird droppings. I complained the first day, and on the 2nd day, I believe someone tried to clean it while we were gone to the aquarium. But by the time we returned to the suite, the birds had "re-christened" the balcony with fresh droppings. Even when we tried to simply stand on the balcony, the birds were aggressive and tried to intimidate us, as if the balcony belonged to them. The birds also took birdbaths in the pool every day. Bird droppings were in the gazebo, as well.

So close to the pier that the beach wasn't good for walking because there were always surf fisherman there and we had to avoid them and their chairs and fishing lines. We tried to walk on the beach the first day, but it was too hard and we didn't try again.

It was very much a motel experience and lots of little things were wrong. I tried to overlook them as I know they're trying to update. Still, some could be fixed for very little money:

Loose doorknob on entryway.
Cracked and missing moldings in several places throughout mini-suite
No hand towel bar beside sink in bathroom.
Dirty cracked lampshade beside bed in first room
Linoleum slapped down in bathroom peeling up and cut wrong with gaps showing old flooring
Cigarette burns on bathroom linoleum; cigarette burn on toilet seat
Old Shower door - so corroded that it could barely be opened and closed
No closet in either of two rooms – only a wall rack with four hangers in back bedroom
Nowhere comfortable to sit and watch TV – just a table and 2 straight back chairs - though I suppose this is typical for a motel.

No bed table in back bedroom – I ended up going to CVS and buying a 9.99 styrofoam ice chest to use as a “bed table” so I’d have somewhere to lay my eyeglasses, book, and water beside the bed.

Back bedroom air conditioner is VERY LOUD at times – no way to sleep when it kicks into “overdrive”

I was so uncomfortable that I checked out a day early. I didn’t care at that point about losing the money - I just wanted to get out of there. When I checked out, I expected them to ask if I had enjoyed my stay, but they didn’t. I told them again about the birds and suggested they get fake owls (some actually move and make noise), but they said those didn’t work. I was a little surprised by that answer, since I saw scores of other beach properties using the owls. I got the feeling that they didn't really care whether I enjoyed my stay or not. They won't be getting repeat visitors unless they show a little more concern.

Even though I didn't enjoy my stay, I still gave three stars because I think a couple or very small family (who isn't too picky) and likes to fish might enjoy this property since it's so convenient to the pier.

Room Tip: I needed a suite since I was traveling with my grown daughter, but if you only need one room, ask fo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Em N
Asheboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 October 2013

It was a nice quiet vacation in September--the hotel is one of the 5 in the beach area. It is a great location very close to the pier and restaurants there. I would have been comfortable there if the beds had not hurt our backs all 3 nights. When I mentioned it later they said the beds had been replaced the previous year but if so they are miserable sleeping beds. The floors felt dirty to my feet although you could tell by the clean fragrance that they were cleaned. The accommodations really need to be upgraded to the 21st century.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barzdiprocky
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I'm giving this place four stars because its nice. I first tried another motel right next door & they were charging more & it didn't seem like their rooms were worth it. At the Admiral's, with a AAA rate it came to about $76 for two nights with tax. The girl Stacy at the front desk was super sweet & helpful. The room is very simple but clean. They provide soap, but no hair products, perhaps they have them in the office, but I had my own. Hair dryers are provided in the office too. You can't miss the bright turquoise color of the motel & they have a nice pool & are right on the beach! My view was not towards the beach, but they do have rooms that face the water with private balconies. I think it's charming & I would come back here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We love Kure Beach and a big part of that is staying at the Admiral's Quarters! Private oceanfront balconies so you can enjoy the beach all day and all night long! (You even have great views of the ocean, beach, and pier while in your room.) Attentive staff always goes the extra mile including continual upgrades. Love the new mattresses! (Both firm and "plush" mattresses in our room made everyone happy.) The new blackout drapes allow you to snooze late or nap! TWO pools, oceanfront gazebo & picnic area, flat screen TV's, and short walk to great dining & fishing on the pier! Over the years we have introduced friends to "our place at the beach," and they have come to love it, too! Can't wait to go make some more happy memories!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Beachbuddies_12
Reidsville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed from Thursday to Sunday and I have to say this is the best place ever if you are looking for something quiet amd cheap. It was My Fiance, 2 Friends, our 1 year old and I and it worked out for us. Room was clean and cold for us when we walked in (4 Hour Trip). Had Cartoon Channels for our toddler and a full kitchen for our cooking needs. Arcade and Peer was a block away and we were only a short drive away from surf shops and nice restraunts. Their Beach is clean and so is their pools. We will always choose this place when coming back to Carolina/Kure Beach. Thank you guys for a wonderful place to stay!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brittany A
Belpre, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2013

--We have a 5 yr old. With that in mind, we were looking for a place that would be fun and easy to accomodate our family.The room we booked (ground level, ocean front) was excellent. Our car was parked right outside our sliding glass doors. Thus making it easy to unload, load or heading out to the beach or pool. You can not see the ocean from this room, however it was worth not seeing the ocean from our room in order to have no elevator to wait on or stairs to climb.
Another positive is the location of this hotel--close walks to diners, restaurants, the pier, arcade. Lots of places to check out in walking distance. If you don't prefer to walk, its not a far drive to Carolina boardwalk, carnival, shopping.
If you dont mind cooking in your room, ours had a full fridge, microwave, small stove and oven, and sink and coffee pot. Including most utensils, pans, kitchen supplies. We were able to bake a pizza one evening and keep cold drinks and ice the whole week we were there.
The pool and the area around it, was always clean, lots of lounge chairs around plus chairs under the pergola patio.
Now the negatives, The only housekeeping you get is fresh towels everyday. They only run sweeper if you stay 4-5 days. No beds get made or changed. This wasn't a HUGE deal for us, but it would have been nice to have had the trash changed daily. Our room was in the middle of a redo. Mismatched curtain and bedspreads. If you can overlook some minor details, this place is not all that bad. We would definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KBurgy_12
Admirals Q, Manager at Admiral's Quarters, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
We are so glad your stay was a good one. Our housekeeping staff daily service should consist of: beds being made (unless personal items are on them) , vacuuming room, and changing out your towels and trash. For stays of 5 nights or more, sheet changes are done 1/2 way through stay. Unless there is a Do not Disturb tag on door, all of the above should have been completed by our housekeeping staff for you daily - as it applied to your stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will communicate with the housekeeping supervisor about this. In the future, please don't hesitate to let the front desk know about service needs. Thank you for your review!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kure Beach
#12 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Admiral's Quarters? Share your experiences!