“Excellent Location”
Review of Admiral's Quarters

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Admiral's Quarters
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This place is all about location. We stayed here in mid-May and it was fantastic. It's oceanfront, just steps from the sand and is about 1/2 block to some restaurants and the pier. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this is not your place. But if you value location over amenities, it would be tough to beat the Admiral's Quarters. The rooms could use some work-- better beds and more outlets especially near the beds for example. Overall, I'd definitely stay here again, you can't beat the value!

1  Thank Allie J

Reviewed 17 May 2014

After many vacations, in various places, we were looking for a place we could come to as a "favorite getaway". You know, one to come back to over and over and it feel like home. Well, we found it! Admiral's Quarters has all of that and more. It is a small piece of paradise. Friendly staff, friendly owners, and guests who are like minded. It was very clean, very peaceful, and not crowded like your bigger chain hotels. This is exactly what we were looking for. I have never felt more welcomed and more at peace. Thank you to the staff at Admiral's Quarters for making this a truly wonderful experience. WE WILL BE BACK!!

2  Thank Relaxedgurl
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I waited until the last minute to decide on going to Kure beach and decided to "wing it' and take our chances on finding a decent place to stay for one night. Admiral's Quarters had a room and we are glad we chose them. Right on the beach, easy walk to several restaurants and the pier. Private balcony overlooking the ocean. The only thing I can say that I didn't like was that the chairs were too low or the deck railing is too high because I had to look through the spokes of the deck to see the ocean but it was still nice. The room was clean, smelled good and the décor was fine. It could use a little modernizing and few little maintenance touches but nothing major. We would stay again.

1  Thank Carebear220
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Good location, beach front motel in Kure Beach - within walking distance of the pier and restaurants. We stayed in one of the recently remodeled mini-suite rooms - it was clean and neat, and nice to have a refrigerator and mini-kitchen. The check-in and check-out were quick, and the staff was friendly. The pools were clean, but unfortunately for us, it was really too cold to use them much. Although there were plenty of cars in the parking lot, we never heard any neighbors. On the flip side, the bathroom/shower was very small, and the bedding was not ideal - while I've slept in more uncomfortable beds, the queen bed was not as firm as I like. The extra seating in the rooms were just some chairs - it would have been nice if they could have fit in a comfortable chair or two - but when you go to the beach, you really don't plan to spend that much time in your room. We would stay there again, as it was clean and convenient.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms are nice - there is no walkway that would have people walking by your room due...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MamaDuck2000
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is a privately owned motel. It is very family friendly and right on the beach. They are working on updating the rooms, but it is a work in progress. It is not modern, but clean and comfortable. Everyone seemed very nice from reservations to check in and check out. I really enjoyed the family atmosphere! I am sure that we will be back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Karen D
Reviewed 28 October 2013

PROS:

Clean bedding.
No bugs.
Updated refrigerator and microwave.
Updated kitchen counter tops, sink & stove
Updated bathroom vanity
Very close to the pier - if you fish, this would be a good location
Short walking distance to several restaurants – the Kure Diner is just around the corner and is a true little gem.

CONS:

Bird droppings!!! Droppings from black birds (Starlings, perhaps?) were so abundant on our balcony that we couldn't sit out there to enjoy the oceanfront view - not even once during our stay. One of the main reasons I booked this suite was because they advertised rockers on every balcony. There was one rocker and one plastic chair, but they were dirty with bird droppings. I complained the first day, and on the 2nd day, I believe someone tried to clean it while we were gone to the aquarium. But by the time we returned to the suite, the birds had "re-christened" the balcony with fresh droppings. Even when we tried to simply stand on the balcony, the birds were aggressive and tried to intimidate us, as if the balcony belonged to them. The birds also took birdbaths in the pool every day. Bird droppings were in the gazebo, as well.

So close to the pier that the beach wasn't good for walking because there were always surf fisherman there and we had to avoid them and their chairs and fishing lines. We tried to walk on the beach the first day, but it was too hard and we didn't try again.

It was very much a motel experience and lots of little things were wrong. I tried to overlook them as I know they're trying to update. Still, some could be fixed for very little money:

Loose doorknob on entryway.
Cracked and missing moldings in several places throughout mini-suite
No hand towel bar beside sink in bathroom.
Dirty cracked lampshade beside bed in first room
Linoleum slapped down in bathroom peeling up and cut wrong with gaps showing old flooring
Cigarette burns on bathroom linoleum; cigarette burn on toilet seat
Old Shower door - so corroded that it could barely be opened and closed
No closet in either of two rooms – only a wall rack with four hangers in back bedroom
Nowhere comfortable to sit and watch TV – just a table and 2 straight back chairs - though I suppose this is typical for a motel.

No bed table in back bedroom – I ended up going to CVS and buying a 9.99 styrofoam ice chest to use as a “bed table” so I’d have somewhere to lay my eyeglasses, book, and water beside the bed.

Back bedroom air conditioner is VERY LOUD at times – no way to sleep when it kicks into “overdrive”

I was so uncomfortable that I checked out a day early. I didn’t care at that point about losing the money - I just wanted to get out of there. When I checked out, I expected them to ask if I had enjoyed my stay, but they didn’t. I told them again about the birds and suggested they get fake owls (some actually move and make noise), but they said those didn’t work. I was a little surprised by that answer, since I saw scores of other beach properties using the owls. I got the feeling that they didn't really care whether I enjoyed my stay or not. They won't be getting repeat visitors unless they show a little more concern.

Even though I didn't enjoy my stay, I still gave three stars because I think a couple or very small family (who isn't too picky) and likes to fish might enjoy this property since it's so convenient to the pier.

Room Tip: I needed a suite since I was traveling with my grown daughter, but if you only need one room, ask fo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Em N
Reviewed 24 October 2013

It was a nice quiet vacation in September--the hotel is one of the 5 in the beach area. It is a great location very close to the pier and restaurants there. I would have been comfortable there if the beds had not hurt our backs all 3 nights. When I mentioned it later they said the beds had been replaced the previous year but if so they are miserable sleeping beds. The floors felt dirty to my feet although you could tell by the clean fragrance that they were cleaned. The accommodations really need to be upgraded to the 21st century.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Moran Motel
Moran Motel
#4 of 6 in Kure Beach

Been to Admiral's Quarters? Share your experiences!