“Never Judge a Book By Its Cover”
Review of Moran Motel

Moran Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Never Judge a Book By Its Cover”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Aug 22-24 2010. I am a neat and clean freak and this motel did not let me down. This was the last vacation for the summer and the cleanest I stayed in. Small for the average folk but just right for us, normally I stay in 4 star places. I had two rooms, 1 with king bed and 1 with 3 beds, king & 2 queens, kitchen. I had 3 teenager boys with me. Our main focus was fishing and the motel was across from the pier. The staff was friendly, the price was right and they will see me again. I tried to look for pictures on the internet but the one was not good, I normally like to have an idea of what I am getting into. The reviews of cleanliness helped make my choice and it was a good one. Actually the motel was better than I expected. I like the location, which was away from the bigger hotels and closer to beach homes. You have two places to eat, on the corners just feet from the motel and you can do a small drive in any location to find eating, shopping, or site seeing. I liked that the pool was only open from 9 am to 9 pm out of respect for those who had rooms on the pool side. My room over looked the pool area but they also have 2 nice comfortable beach chairs out the front door of your room to relax in. Each room has it's own assigned parking slot.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank msworldadventure

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We love staying at the Moran. Our most recent trip was over the Fourth of July weekend. Once again, we found the Moran staff helpful and gracious. The housekeeping staff are like the elves and the shoemaker fairy tale. We did not see them in our room, but when we returned- the room would be spotless! The amenities are not luxurious, just your basic needs. It is the only motel we have ever stayed at in a beach vicinity (even Myrtle Beach's resorts) that does NOT have sticky carpet. The pool is private and the kids enjoy the slide. The beach access is across the street. You can hear the ocean waves crashing as you sit outside of your room and enjoy the breeze. The Parnells (owners) are available in person should you have any needs. The motel is located within walking distance from pier, food, activites, etc..

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank april722
Boonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2010

This hotel was awesome! My family enjoyed the stay. Even has little kitchen, very nice for your money. Owners EXTREMELY nice and accomodating, loved the bright colors, so close to the beach it doesn't matter its not oceanfront. I'd rather have cleanliness, hominess,and accomodating over the ritzy hotels. you can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mom2brecalebcarson
North Royalton, Ohio
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Not knowing what to expect because I read only great reviews, I was hoping to be able to write a great review also. The Motel is not on the beach. It is across from the beach but it has great beach access. The owner was great and extremely accomodating. It's not a fancy place but it had everything we needed. A kitchen with large refrigerator to comfortable beds and futon. Seating outside and a nice pool. The one thing I want to let everyone know is this was one of the cleanest motels I had ever been to. Great vacation and would recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank mabihun
usa
Reviewed 22 July 2009

i loved the homey atmosphere. the rooms were large, clean and had great water pressure!!! home away from home. we have been to kure several times and ALWAYS stay at moran motel. i would reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank firefly6970
Yelm, Washington
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My husband and I decided to have a weekend away at the beach, and chose to just find a motel or hotel when we got there, as we were only staying overnight Saturday to Sunday. We have been to Kure Beach once before and loved the quiet, family friendly feel of it, so chose to look for a motel there. When we parked and started walking down where we saw all of the motels, there were very few vacancies, with the few places available costing upwards of $150 for motel. We decided as a last resort to try the Moran Motel, and I am so glad we did!

The motel itself is a mom and pop type motel, very clean and well kept, painted in bright colours. It is directly across the street from the beach, with public beach access being about a one minute walk from the motel!

Our room was very clean, a/c was working great, and the beds were very comfortable! We had a second floor room, number 10, which was two double beds, a sitting area, and a full kitchen. It cost us $110 for the night, which was far cheaper than other places.

If you expect a fancy 4 star hotel, you won't get it here, but this motel was comfortable, very very clean, and perfect for a relaxing time at the beach. It had a pool which we didn't use, as we preferred the ocean, but it looked very nice, a good place to be when the ocean is too rough.

All in all, I would absolutely make this a place I come back to over and over, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay at the beach!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsH2009
Martinsville, VA
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I've been to Kure Beach, NC 2 times a year for 18 years. This was the first time I've stayed at the Moran Motel. The rates were exceptional, (We paid $88 per night for a 2 room efficiency with full kitchen). The employees are friendly and helpful, and the housekeeping staff is excellent. We've stayed at all 3 of the motels directly across the street from the Moran, all 3 of them lack in friendly staff, affordability, and cleanliness. The Moran Motel may give off a vibe of being substandard because of the bright green paint of the buildings, but I've never stayed in a motel in the Kure Beach area where we never saw any type of bug, or mold in the showers. The other 3 motels across the street have very dirty carpeting (if you walk across the floor once, your feet are black). We walked barefoot on the carpet at the Moran Motel every day for a week, and never had black feet. The Moran is within walking distance of Jack Mackeral's Restaurant which is a little expensive, but well worth it when you taste the food. It's also just a short walk to the beach, and the Kure Beach Fishing Pier. The Moran also has a wonderful swimming pool with a slide, which the kids just loved (and the pool is behind the building so you don't have to worry about being viewed by the cars passing by). They also have a sun deck on the 2nd floor which is an awesome place to hang out and read, while catching some rays. We're already planning our next trip to Kure Beach, and we know where we'll be staying....at the MORAN MOTEL. Thanks Moran staff for making our stay great!!

• Liked — Great rates, friendly staff, and exceptionally clean rooms
  • Disliked — small bathroom with just a shower stall and no tub
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank AShepherd1
#13 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Moran Motel? Share your experiences!