“Ocean Front View”

Darlings By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 5 Kure Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Not sure which one ranks first on our list, a comfortable bed or an ocean front view, well we got both! Excellent stay, had everything we needed. Perfect location on the beach, life guard on duty, fishing pier, restaurants just a stroll down the boardwalk. Perfect!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bobbie T

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This place was so relaxing and beautiful, we rarely drove the car. Excellent continental breakfast. Everything you need including peace and quiet... perfect for much needed R&R. We hope to return at least twice per year. Forget any negative reviews.....Merry and Steve

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Merry L
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed with Jim and his staff for two nights in June, and I wish we had stayed 4 nights and skipped the rest of our plans. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we were treated graciously and had everything available to us we could want - from fresh towels every day to beach chairs and bicycles - all there for our own use. Each afternoon our "goodie basket" was delivered, along with freshly made quiche for us to warm up in the microwave in the morning. It was very clear to me in the description of Darling's that there was not a formal sit-down breakfast - many B & B's have made this change and I do not have a problem with it when I know it is going to happen. There were at least 10 different items in the basket, including fresh fruit. Since the room includes a fridge, microwave, coffee maker (Keurig, with gourmet coffee), and complete sets of china and cooking utensils, we were able to make a delicious breakfast for ourselves and ate on our private patio every day without trying to make conversation with strangers during breakfast. This is a spot for couples seeking privacy and quiet - and it delivers that in spades. I met Jim (the owner) a couple of times while he was working in the beautiful gardens and he was very personable - and I would never have expected him to seek me out to meet me, as they pride themselves on leaving you alone. The receptionist in the office was very kind and available to us whenever we needed anything. But enough about the service - the view is spectacular, and you are steps from the beach. There are only 5 units at Darling's, and it's away from the pier (although you can clearly see it and take pictures from your balcony, should you so desire) and the public beach there. We spent hours at the beach, sitting in the gazebo in the garden, dining on our patio, and acting like the whole place was ours - it felt like it was! (A note about the housekeeping staff - they were great, and invisible - always there right after we left and before we got back. Many valuable items were left in our room while we were out sight seeing, and absolutely nothing was ever missing except our dirty towels and trash in the wastebaskets - and even the beach towels were replaced daily). I absolutely would recommend Darling's without any hesitation, and I do hope we can go there again next year.

Room Tip: Each of the 5 rooms offers all the same amenities and a patio with a glorious view as well as nice p...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lydia N
Reviewed 18 June 2014

So, I read this review by Betty A. I'm wondering where she stayed. Certainly not at Darlings by the Sea!

My gal and I decided to go to the beach in NC to get married. We had been to Kure Beach once before. We had heard some nice things about Darlings so we decided to give it a shot. I was expecting more of a house with guest rooms. Not so. The place was like a motel, but better. Wow! Great rooms, great view and a very friendly and helpful host and staff.

The place is off the main thoroughfare and feels semi-secluded. It is located on the beach. We had a nice size room with a nice sized private veranda overlooking the ocean. The room was very nicely furnished and the bed was very comfortable. In the bathroom there was a Jacuzzi type tub-shower combination with dual showers and robes. The staff cleaned our room each day in the morning. Each afternoon, the staff dropped off a basket of goodies for the next days breakfast. That basket consisted of muffins, sweet rolls, granola bars, jams, and Keurig coffee cups, just to name a few of the items. In addition, the mini refrigerator was stocked each day with orange juice, fresh slice fruit, quiche, creamer, butter and yogurt.

The host is Jim G. He and his staff made us feel like family. Jim was on site most of the time as he lives on the top floor of the building. The "office" opened at 10 a.m., but you would see Jim around all the time puttering whether it be sweeping the floors, washing windows or something.

One final note, my gal and I were going to get married on the beach. Jim allowed us to use his gazebo to give a more secluded spot. How very nice. We had about 9 people there and it was perfect.

I hope to return in August.

Patrick Lee Beirne

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 54
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Patrick B
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This could go on indefinitely, but here goes.

I hadn't been to the Atlantic Ocean for quite awhile, so my friend and I were looking forward to staying at this bed and breakfast, Darlings By The Sea. My friends, it is anything but darling!
Nothing worked.
The air conditioning system is old, not operating consistently, either freezing us or burning us from the heat or not cooling at all. "Breakfast" was rather unconventional. It was brought to us in a basket or something left in the fridge by the maid, not served to us. Again, much to be desired and very few choices. The instructions were to leave any dirty towels were to be left in the bathtub and replacements would appear. Not!! Never happened. We had to look for the one and only maid and ask for fresh towels. The owner was never available. The office was mostly closed. Phone numbers were displayed in the room in case we needed help. The owner was not ever available and none of the calls we placed to him were ever answered. He was not your genial host, by along shot!

The thing by which I was most dismayed was while we were packing to leave, I discovered that my new sandals, which I had worn only once and were visible beside the bed our entire stay, were missing! When the maid came to work, I asked if she knew anything about them. She swore she did not know where they were. The owner and the maid were the only people with access to our room, as far as we knew. Next, I was able to confront him, asking what he knew. But, of course, he knew nothing, either. I asked him to send them to me when they reappeared, but was told that he didn't have my address. He certainly did have it as it was on the reservation. I had no recourse but to leave without my shoes!

I must add that my shoes have not been forthcoming. We checked out on the morning of May 16.
Nothing has miraculously appeared from Darlings By The Sea.

Oh, yes, we will not be making another appearance there! Be forewarned!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Betty A
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was a perfect, peaceful weekend. The room was great, the owners were very friendly and helpful, and the ocean was right across the flower-lined street. The basket of food brought in the evening was delicious. Great quiche! There was enough food to eat on all day with a marvelous selection of items.

Room Tip: We had the room under the lighthouse. It was ideal because it gave us our privacy, but we could see...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My husband booked a weekend here for our anniversary and it was nice. Clean and romantic. Very quiet and the staff was helpful and courteous. We will definietly stay here again. The only downside to the area is the choice of restaurants lacks.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Best Western Plus Wilmington/Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach Inn
Carolina Beach Inn
#1 of 3 in Carolina Beach

Been to Darlings By The Sea? Share your experiences!