“Beautiful setting, trying hard, not quite there”

Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Junaluska
Indian Trail
“Beautiful setting, trying hard, not quite there”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We've been coming for many years. It is beautiful. However, the facilities are dated and need a lot to bring them up. They are trying and doing a little more each year, but it is a Goliath of a project. Bathrooms in Stuart auditorium are horrible. Knowing they were hosting 2500 people you would think they would have cleaned the cobwebs and dead bugs out of the windowsill. Certain rooms and buildings smell from being old, damp, and seldom used.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Michael H
lake_junaluska, Public Relations Manager at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Michael H, thank you for your feedback about our facilities. I have passed on your concerns to our Chief Operating Officer and Housekeeping Director. We continue to work on updating our facilities and hope that you will notice improvements upon your next visit.
Warm Regards, Stephanie Drum
Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Thousandsticks
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I enjoy my annual trip to Lake Junaluska every November for a church meeting. I have only had 2 bad experiences there. 1 was because of a meeting itself, the other was because of poor planning and accommodating by the staff due to a large group using the facility. The food has steadily improved over the years. I am excited by the goals they have for upgrading all of the facilities. I love to walk the trail around the lake, though this year I was unable to due to my meeting. It is a great place to take time to draw closer with God. I look forward to going back in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side have great views of the Lake.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert A
lake_junaluska, Public Relations Manager at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
RobertA, thank you for you wonderful review. We are glad that you had a positive experience during your recent visit, and hope that you have an opportunity to enjoy the walking trail during your next visit.
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lambuth Inn for his business convention. I decided to tag along and enjoy the lake while he was in his meetings since I love the outdoors.

First the good: The lake itself and the walking trails were absolutely gorgeous, serene and peaceful. This is a great place to spend the day walking and enjoying nature. The rockers on the front porch of the Lambuth Inn are also a great place to sit and read and just enjoy the beautiful view of the lake. Another positive was the staff at the hotel and the restaurants. Everyone I encountered was super friendly and helpful and there were plenty of places to sit inside the inn and wait.

Now for the bad: Upon arrival, we were given a room key, opened the door, and there were people inside! I guess this could happen anywhere, but it was the first time it had ever happened to me and I will never feel safe, secure or like I have privacy in a hotel room in the future. We were promptly given another room, but I felt pretty uneasy the whole time.

The room was very small, especially the bathroom. I'm a petite person and could hardly access the commode. It was also fairly dated. It seemed somewhat clean, but not overly so.

We had dinner one night at the Terrace Hotel (a buffet). I was really disappointed by the food. There were only a few choices and not a single thing tasted good. I don't consider myself a picky eater either. I will eat anything that tastes good, this just didn't. I wondered why everyone was grabbing desserts at 6:00. I found out it was because they didn't restock. They were all completely gone by 7:00 or shortly thereafter. I don't remember the cost, but it was pretty pricey for what you got. The service was good though.

I also had the breakfast and lunch buffet at Lambuth Inn one day. I would say they were just okay, better than what I had at the Terrace Hotel, but not the best by any means, again, especially for the price. You may wonder why I ate at the facilities three times if I was so unhappy with the food. It's because I was by myself in unfamiliar territory and there was nothing else on the campus. There was a bookstore which had coffee, danishes, etc., but nothing that I would call real food, like breakfast or lunch sandwiches yet. I think they are going to open a sandwich shop in the future, which will be great for those who don't want a over-priced, not-too-good buffet for every meal.

I think this would be a good place for families and church groups who plan on doing activities around the lake. It really is a gem. Although I was definitely not impressed with the food, the facilities were okay. The friendly staff really made up for a lot of things. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
lake_junaluska, Public Relations Manager at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
ChicoG, thank you for your feedback. I have passed your comments on to our Chief Operating officer regarding the food. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Come sit a while on the porch and take in the beauty of Lake Junaluska! Lake Junaluska is surrounded by cascading waterfalls in every direction only minutes from the retreat center. The lake is surrounded by mountains and is nestled outside of nearby Waynesville, N.C. just a short drive from Asheville, N. C. The retreat center has been renovated and is a traveler's paradise and safe haven from the odiferous smells of the common hotel/motel. The rooms are spacious and modern. The only drawback is the mattress. If you want a soft one, keep driving. Otherwise, our stay was perfect. The staff and management are friendly and knowledgeable, especially Neil who has been the hotel clerk for ages.

Room Tip: Bring a foam topper to sleep on if you don't like hard mattresses. Ask for a lake view room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
SantoSolace,
Thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to Lake Junaluska, and we hope to see you again soon.
Chattanooga
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Lake Junaluska Conference Center is a little bit of heaven. There are a variety of accommodations from tent camping and hotel suites, to cabins and apartments. The views are incredible and the people are friendly, There are numerous activities, as well as a pool, walking trail and you are just down the road from Cherokee. You can stay as busy or as relaxed as you like. You choose!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ecm777
lake_junaluska, Public Relations Manager at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
ecm777, thank you for sharing your images and kind words about Lake Junaluska. We hope you come back soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The double bed rooms at the Terrace Hotel really needed a deep cleaning as did all the windows on the hotel. Lovely grounds, nice range of amenities and a really cool auditorium. Did not eat at the hotel but went into Waynesville for dinner and can recommend The Sweet Onion. It was great!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank centerseat
centerseat, thank you for your feedback. I will pass on your comments to our Chief Operating Officer regarding the Terrace. We hope that you will visit us again soon.
Nashville
Reviewed 21 August 2013

There one night for business in the area. Stayed at the Terrace Hotel in one of the renovated rooms. Had a great client dinner in downtown Waynesville... 6 mins away. Had to hurry in the morning so enjoyed coffee and pasty from the cafe right out the hotels front door. Look, it was a quick business trip and would have loved to walk around the scenic flower lined lake but, no time - next time I will! Experience was all good.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Doug A, we are glad that you had a pleasant business trip and stay at the Terrace. We hope that you will come back soon and have a chance to walk around the lake.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Junaluska
#1 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Laurel Park Inn
Laurel Park Inn
#6 of 8 in Maggie Valley

Been to Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center? Share your experiences!