“Rumbling Bald Lake Lure NC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure

Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Swedesboro, New Jersey
“Rumbling Bald Lake Lure NC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

We rented a couple of golf course view villas for a family reunion and had a ball at this resort.
Villas were a touch dated but the views were breathtaking. Enjoy the amenities at this fine family retreat, everyone from the security personnel to the waitresses was friendly and treated us all great.
The golf is awesome, plenty of wild life abounds, had to hit over a couple of deer on the 3rd hole.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lloydm70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
winston-salem, north carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the Apple Valley 3 Efficiency apartment and were very pleased. The apartment is well cared for and had everything we needed (looked like all the utensils were brand new and was well stocked with pots, pans, knives etc). The room was very clean and the king size bed was comfortable. The unit is a lower unit, but it is built on a slope, so rather than feeling like you are in a basement, the outside deck actually feels like you are on the second floor (it overlooks the main road to the resort so not a beautiful view). The location is not walkable from the resort (would be a dangerous walk along the highway) but it is a short drive and was not a issue. Highly recommend this rental.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hello777
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Although out of the beach area on Lake Lure, it was certainly worth the 20 minute drive. They have a private beach, 2 pools, an indoor pool, basketball court, tennis/pickeball courts, putt putt, golfing, and much more. We only stayed 3 days, and we wished we could have stayed longer. The condo/cabin had a loft for the kids and 2 bedrooms. Our condo backed up to Bald Mountain Lake. One day at lunchtime, we saw a deer and her fawn off our back porch down near the shore of Bald Mtn. Lake. They didn't bother us and stayed their for at least 30 minutes. There are 2 more things I need to say: There are no kids under 16 allowed in the hot tub. The other is that there is a lazy river, and I reccomend you bring your own inflatable tubes. The tubes cost $6. The pool area has a pump for your inflatable tubes. Mini golf is $5. Overall, this place was fantastic!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tostitoman4
Cincinnati
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family stayed in a nearby cabin that had access to Rumbling Bald Resort. We had a great time visiting and tried most of the activites. It was early April, but because of a warm winter the beach was hoping and the lake was not too cold (70-72 degrees). They obviously groom the sand as the beach was clean and no goose poop (very important to my wife). The kids had a lot of fun playing on the beach and there is a playground right next to the beach. The beach is about 400 feet wide by 30 feet deep. It was April and at a comfortable crowd level (plenty of space to place your blanket and not weaving through people to get to the water)- not sure if it is overwhelmingly packed in July. We also rented a Stand-up Pandle board - $20/hr, but they have a coupon in the brochure they give you on arrive for 2 hours for the price of 1. Don't expect the latest kayaks or equipment, but the stuff was maintained and safe. They also have pontoon boats and peddle boats for rent. You may want to call ahead in peak season to reserve.

On our one rainy day, we checked out the indoor pool. The pool is adults only from 7:30 to 10:00 AM, so if you have kids that are early risers, be warned. The indoor pool is small - about 40 feet by 20 - limit is 45 people. There were about 30 when we were there and it was loud and crowded. However, as adults, we could sneak off to either the sauna or steam room which was blissfully quiet. The changing rooms were extremely small, so plan to change back at your room. I would also agree with other comments that the changing rooms are not as well cleaned as they should be. I did feel the pool was clean because my eyes hurt slightly from all the chlorine in the air (which is normal with an indoor pool).

We also tried out the mini-golf which was not very expensive and nicely maintained (this isn't DisneyWorld, but a nice mini-golf). There was also cornhole, human chess (actually got my 9 year old to play), and basketball. I am not a golfer, but that is obviously the major draw of this resort. The courses looked beautiful with the dogwoods and azealeas in bloom in April.

The resort would be fine for a weekend. If you are planning on a longer trip, plan activities outside the resort as it is a small resort outside of the golf courses. The one item to be aware is that it is a 15 minute drive on curvy mountain roads back to the main area of Lake Lure and 20-25 minutes to Chimney Rock. It is an hour to Asheville from the resort. We spent more time on the road getting to the places we wanted (Biltmore, Asheville, DuPont State Forest) than we had expected.

We did not eat at the resort as we had a kitchen in our cabin.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank bmantravel
Lake Lure, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

We go to Lake Lure as often as we can go - usually several times a year. The resort offers so much to do. Two golf courses, tennis courts, basketball courts, Fitness center, spa, lazy river pool, beach, etc.

We particularly like renting a pontoon boat at the marina to take a tour of the lake. We bring our cooler with a picnic. The lake is gorgeous with mountains as the back drop. Highly recommend.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Laurie M
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I went here, for a relaxing getaway. As soon as we checked in, we realized that the misleading information in booking, when they say, the villas are "close by" was incorrect. Everything is a good mile to two miles away. We live on the lake in Charlotte, but we had thought we would have at least a water view. When we arrived we noticed spiders and dead bugs in the shower. I was grossed out but decided to make the best of it. The next morning we woke up to try and go to the "breakfast buffet" that they advertise in their little hand outs. When we got there we were told that they no longer have that. So we found a great breakfast at the Lake Lure Inn and Spa, which my husband and I instantly regretted not staying at. When we got back we decided since it was raining to go and check out the indoor pool. To say the pool was disgusting, would be too nice. There was dirt, hair blobs and other debris on the ground. Just gross. We tried out he Sauna and steam shower, we wanted to go int he hot tub, but their were too many kids, although they weren't supposed to be in their. We decided to leave. I literally tip-toed as fast as I could to get off of the gross tile, I really don't think anyone has thoroughly cleaned it in ages. I waited for my husband in my mens locked room, while he showed- no way I would- when he came out he told me he had used a dirty used towel to stand on because the ground in the locker room was so revolting. Now when we came back to the room all I wanted to do was actually feel clean, I turned on the shower and it immediately filled with dirty water, hair and wrappers of some sort. GROSS. I called the front desk and as for a refund. To their credit, someone came out, they cleaned the shower, gave us a 40 dollar refund, and a late morning check out the next morning. The people were nice and polite, but the complex as a whole needs a good cleaning. If you stay here-bring flip flops to wear in the shower- pool and everywhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Chelsea H
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have tried to contact Rumbling Bald resort 3 times this week. None of my phone calls or emails have been returned. The resort is a sham! We booked a villa for Valentines day weekend. The villa we stayed in was cute and clean, but old. The service at dinner was horrible, we had to send our food back at the Lakeview Restaurant because it was undercooked. There is no cell phone service at the resort nor could I get the internet to work on my laptop. I paid a lot of money and did not get the service I paid for. I'm highly disappointed in the resort. Do not book your trip with them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,343 reviews
Grafton Lodge
Grafton Lodge
#3 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure? Share your experiences!