“Wonderful mountain retreat”

Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We stayed in Bear's Lair for a week, and it was the most relaxing vacation I have had in years! The house was ideal for a large group - the kids had a floor to themselves complete with bunk beds and a rec room. There were three other bedrooms, an office, and two living rooms as well; the bathrooms were decadent! We had views of Lake Lure from both of the decks, and everyone enjoyed lounging in the hot tub after busy days outdoors.
During our visit, everyone got to do activities they enjoyed in the area: swimming, boating, tubing, mini-golf, regular golf, horseback riding, hiking, visiting microbreweries, exploring Biltmore, and simply gazing at the gorgeous vistas. The staff at the resort were invariably friendly while helping us plan our activities.
I strongly recommend Rumbling Bald Resort for people of all ages. Our family definitely plans to come back!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank kaylamaureen

Reviewed 8 August 2008

The resort itself is just beautiful and the service on the resort itself was great, but the log home was horrible.

There were loads of things to do. We enjoyed swimming and kayaking. We rented a pontoon and cruised Lake Lure, along with some fishing. We went to Chimney Rock Park (breath taking) which was only 30 minutes and the Biltmore House apprx. a hour.

The downside was the log home(Bear's Lair), it was very spacious and had lovely views from the deck, but very dirty. Since I am a person with extremely bad allergies this did not work for me at all, had to leave the place a day early than planned (I Did inform the reservationist of my allergies when booking and was told it was one of the nicest homes, well I would hate to see the rest inside and out). We had ordered maid service. When arrived on sunday evening the place was dusty and dirty. On monday I had to call to get them to come, on tuesday they did not show at all, had to call again the next day. Terrible service. There were cobwebs everywhere, even on the lamps in the bedrooms. By thursday morning I had to leave, it got to hard to handle. So I paid for nothing on Thursday night. Let me not forget, please be careful, we found a snake in the basement of the log home.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Maxi22554
Reviewed 1 July 2008

WE loved the service we got from the staff. The manager Steve let us extend our check out time to 5pm. They also let us have a Lake house for 2 days that rents for 6 days. There are a lot of activities and the place is just beautiful. The rates for were priced good for families. We will go back next year!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Diane3143
Reviewed 2 June 2008

My husband and I stayed at this casual resort for one night and a round of golf the next day. Tthe round of golf was difficult considering that I had a very uncomfortable night at their golf villas. The villas have paper thin walls and back up to a country road that is not quiet at any time of the night. That could have been overlooked (I brought earplugs), however, two other problems occured. First, we booked a unit with a king sized bed, but the unit only had a queen (rock hard uncomfortable). I did not complain about this but after attempting to sleep with my husband on this I ended up pulling out the sofa bed for myself. Then at slightly before 6 in the morning the alarm clock in the adjoining unit went off, which of course seemed like it was in the room with me (cheapest construction I have ever seen)! I called the after hours number, which goes to the security gate, and the one man on staff said he could not leave his post, so I listened to that alarm for an hour before anyone came to shut it off! Needless to say we were very unhappy. The resort offered to comp us breakfast, which we already had eaten since we were up so early anyway. They should have comped both our stay and our round of golf for that day, since I spent $60 to sleep walk through an unfamiliar course.
Cheap is the best word to describe everything about Rumblingbald Resort.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stella61
LodgingDirector, Lodging Director at Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2008

We regret any time a guest experiences something unpleasant, and believed we offered reasonable compensation for an early wake up from an adjoining home. These units are individually-owned vacation homes, made available to guests through the Resort. The unit with the alarm sounding was not a rental, and the Resort had neither the ability nor authority to enter that private home to quiet an alarm clock, even at 6 a.m. We appreciate input regarding room comfort such as mattresses, and provide a comment card to every guest to give us feedback. Whenever anyone reports a problem we act to verify and correct it promptly. Unfortunately, this mattress comment was not reported to management until later, and didn't give us an option to correct the problem during the visit.

Reviewed 20 September 2007

Our recent stay at Rumbling Bald Resort (Lake Lure Golf and Beach Resort) was once again just what the doctor ordered. This was our second stay at the Resort. Wonderful weather, great golf, gorgeous views and excellent food and accommodations. We took the trip with three couples. The guys enjoyed both golf courses and the ladies took on sight-seeing , shopping in Lake Lure and the Spa. It's nice to see such smiles and good comraderie in an otherwise tense and stressed out existence. Our condo unit had been remodeled recently with very nice updated appointments. The beds were so comfortable and the view of a lake at the rear and the Bald Mountain golf course in front was wonderful. Our travel coordinator (Deby) was extremely patient and helpful. Many thanks to her for her hard work putting our package together. We hope to return in the spring

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roethrock
Reviewed 19 January 2007

Our condo had roaches!!! It was filthy and in POOR condition! We were NOT offered a cleaner, better condo (they are individually owned). We would NEVER EVER stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2007

We stayed at the Lake Lure Golf and Beach resort for a week. It was a wonderful place for a family vacation. They had a small spa for me, golf for the hubby, a beach, a wonderful outdoor pool with a lazy river, boats for rent, miniature golf, games and videos for rent and the feel of the mountains. It was amazing! The lake is absolutely gorgeous! We stayed in a newer log cabin that was well equipped. There were some older properties that may not be as nice. We booked through Fairfield Resorts. Would reccommend this resort for a family vacation.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock
Riverside Lodge at Chimney Rock
Riverside Lodge at Chimney Rock
#3 of 5 in Chimney Rock

Been to Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure? Share your experiences!