“week in the mountains” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Gulf Breeze, Florida, United States
“week in the mountains”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a lovely location. It is an older facility. Small shower in Master bath but lovely whirlpool tub. Disadvantage for older adults. Master bedroom was a long steep staircase down below the living room. Well equipped kitchen, comfortable living room, comfortable beds. The condo was clean. If you are a golfer it has a lovely course.

The office staff gave poor directions to get to the condo which is quite a drive from the sign in office. We got lost twice getting there and by the time we got in the office was closed. We would probably requested a different condo without the long staircase to the master bedroom.

Room Tip: Ask about bedroom locations. We were told it was only 7 steps to the master bedroom. It was only 7...
2 Thank Carolle S

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Port Orange, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is my first review of which I feel compelled to write. I read the past reviews after we booked the week of May 17th. And we had invited friends to stay with us ! Yikes! Roaches and mildew, o my! Much to our happy surprise the place was spotless. Yes, the bathroom sinks were a little old, as was the outside of our refrigerator. I would suggest bringing your own non-stick frying pan and a couple of sharp knives. Beds were great! We had no problem air conditioning the downstairs bedroom, once the vents were open. Beware, the fireplace vent is always opened. We blocked the face of the fireplace to prevent any air going up the chimney .Nothing to complain about. We were on fox run road and probably met the people who have previously written a review. Everyone was very friendly and happy. We took the lake tour which was beautiful... About 2 hours and only $16. Chimney Rock was nearby... A must. The elevator is not operational so you must use the stairs....well worth it. The path to the waterfalls has it's ups and downs but very well suited for kids. We did go to the prime rib buffet at the resort restaurant and found all the food to be cold, even though we were there when it opened up. Not much flavor either. A must is the restaurant on the lake ( can't think of the name) but it is on rte 64 just at the turn off for Ingles... A beautiful grocery store. I was much impressed with fox run and lake lure.

3 Thank Joe M
Fireball92771
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I checked into this resort on May 17th, 2014. Upon check-in I was apprehensive about the condos due to some bad reviews here on Tripadvisor. I hesitated when I unlocked the door to allow my husband and guests inside...if this was a bad idea, it was all on me. To my relief the condo was clean, bug free, very up-to-date and not at all like those bad reviews described.

We stayed on Fox Run Rd. which is the two level condos. We allowed our guests to take the lower level (master bedroom) and their only complaint was that it was a bit too cool at night. (for some reason the sunny weather the weather-man promised turned unseasonably cold) We tried to no avail to figure out how to heat the lower room...and in the end, we finally gave up and admitted that it wasn't going to work.

Two nights in a row a couple of bears raided the garbage cans in front of the condos. It was a good photo opp but very bad for the crew that had to clean up the mess. We saw several deer on the golf course and more squirrells than you could imagine.

My huband is an avid fisherman...fishing in Lake Lure and Bald Mountain Lake is very limited. There just isn't much access to fish from the bank and for those of you who wonder about a boat...yes, they rent them...to the tune of $65 an hour. Then, if I understood correctly you'd still owe a boat access fee. I didn't question that charge much, so don't take my word for it...by that point I had already lost interest.

We saw one roach while at the condo...we stayed 5 nights. Just like the check in package warned...the roaches are in the mulch. As long as it was outside I was okay with it.

Finally, the access to this resort is limited at best. Don't bother searching for a straight road, there are none. Through no fault of the resort, the roads are endless hairpin curves that leave you beaten and worn after a few trips from the resort to the local activities. If you aren't okay with life away from town, this isn't for you. If you don't do well of curvy roads, this place certainly isn't for you.

All in all this was a very good trip. We couldn't have asked for a better resort.

5 Thank fireball92771
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stay in the same unit every year and love it. Housekeeping does a fantastic job and the place ( 303 ) is just immaculate. Of course these places aren't new but they are well kept. It's so quiet and the beds are quite comfortable. And, it just happens to be on one of the most beautiful golf courses in the country. We found everyone we came in contact with to be fantastic and happy. Everyone. We look forward to returning next year

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Romeo, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Upon arrival to lockoff units 3313 A&B opened the door to an awful smell of mold/mildew. Units were filthy. Stains all over the bathroom ceiling. Front of white refrigerator was BLACK with dirt. Broom in the closet was BLACK with dirt. Blinds broken on doorwall. Vents dirty and rusty. Holes in the wall. I would have left had my family & I not just spent 13 hrs driving to get there. Due to the smell of mold/mildew; asthma flared up and couldn't breathe. Requested to be moved but was told there were no other units available. Had to leave unit the next day for 8 hrs so they could "clean the air"; which only worked for 2 days and the smell was right back. Smell was so bad in the lower unit no one could use it. The last day, we ran the dishwasher in the lower unit to find that it leaked all over!! That's probably were the mildew smell was coming from; place is probably full of black mold. Fox Run is Managed by VACATION RESORTS INTERNATIONAL. I found the staff unprofessional, unfriendly and difficult to work with. Jeanette (manager) not helpful at all. When speaking to her about no one being able to stay in the lower unit due to the smell and the dishwasher leaking all over, her reply to me was, "I thought you just said no one was able to use that unit." Not how I want to spend my vacation and then to deal with this RUDE & ARGUMENTATIVE woman. I don't live my life like a pig and I'm not going to spend my vacation like one either!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dianne P

Travellers are raving about these Lake Lure hotels

Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here over thanksgiving week. The place is a little older but had a whirlpool tub, and three balconies. From out unit there was a nice view of trees and mountains, we were not able to see the lake. The resort has indoor and outdoor pools and golf course and restaurants on site. Most of the time we were at the unit. It was a family get together and we did not travel to Asheville for the sites like Biltmore House this time. There are nice things around but not within walking distance. So bottom line, if you want a secluded place to go and relax quietly this is a good place. I have looked at the other reviews and some of the points need repeating. It is a long drive from the interstate or airport, the units are a little older, the check-in is offsite, GPS systems have a hard time taking you the quickest route (print out directions and distances before hand, Our unit 213 was great. If you need to check in with care-givers give them the phone number of the unit and have them call, cell coverage can be spotty.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 50nightsayear
dhartel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just arrived Saturday and were pleasantly surprised based on some of the negative reviews. We traded our Barony Beach time share in Hilton Head. WE LOVE THIS LOCATION!! Have an individual unit #213 with 2 bedrooms. Has 3 balconies, is clean, nice and soooooo quiet here. Yes, we have to take a short drive to resort. Not very far so you COULD walk - but there isn't a flat piece of land that I've found yet!! We knew as soon as we got here that this will be on our list of places to return to. There are pontoon tours at the resort. Alan was our guide. I highly recommend spending an hour or two having Alan give a tour. He is very hospitable and knows the area. If you aren't one for country settings you may not agree with me but if you're like me and embrace the serene quiet of the mountains - you won't find a better choice!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains
The Lodge on Lake Lure
The Lodge on Lake Lure
#1 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Fox Run Resort? Share your experiences!