“Showing its age”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Raleigh
“Showing its age”
Reviewed 23 April 2006

The location is very lovely, but the units are showing their age. The carpets are worn and the units are dark and musty smelling. The resort and golf course are wonderful and the Lake Lure area is one of the most lovely in the e NC mountains. There is a brand new minature golf course on site that is first rate. The staff is friendly and will go out of their way to help you find things to do. We recommend whitewater tubing on the river on the days they open the Lake Lure damn. It is an adventure and a wee bit dangerous. But worth it!

Stayed August 2005
6 Thank GoWolfpack

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 21 October 2004

From some reviews read during the last 6 months before our trip I was a little apprehensive about Fox Run, however, we found it to be just what we needed. Our townhouse very spacious, clean and the view from our patio over the golf course with mountain background was peaceful and relaxing. We did not play golf, tennis or use any lake amenities. We were mostly interested in scenic drives, local attractions away from lake. The staff was pleasant and in an emergency situation when we locked keys in the car they were very helpful. You have to allow travel time everywhere as the resort is about an hour from Asheville. Be prepared with some groceries as the closest store is about 20 miles away, however, there are a few small convenience stores closer, but pricey. Take maps plenty of patience, a good attitude and you will be fine. We made a day trip to visit friends in Greenville, SC, and brunch at Lattitudes was wonderful. The rest of the time was spent in and around Lake Lure, Hendersonville, Chimney Rock and Asheville. We found the scenery to be breathtaking. I recommend the prime rib @ Larkins at Lake Lure, in Asheville Early Girl brunch and Market Place upscale evening. Sensibilities Spa in downtown Asheville a real treat for massage etc. Sunset at Grove Park Inn is a must. Don't miss the Biltmore Est and winery, pay extra for the audio. Trip on Smokey Mtn RR a bit overrated. Go with a positive attitude and allow plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. We could easily have spent another week.

31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2004

Friends of ours have a timeshare (2 BR townhouse) at FoxRun. On their invitation, we visited them last year in late August for several days. Sure, it requires being able to read a map and follow simple directions to find the resort and track down a unit, but I've had more difficulty on a number of occasions in some big cities. We had been warned that there were no large groceries or stores nearby, so we came prepared. We enjoyed the golf, the day trips for sightseeing and shopping for local crafts, and most of all the peaceful life sitting on the deck and enjoying the scenery. Long story short, we fell in love with it, and bought a timeshare townhouse of our own (resales can be had cheap). My suggestion--get information ahead of time, go there with a good attitude, enjoy the peace and quiet. And when you go through Asheville, stop for produce at the Farmers Market and eat at the Moose Cafe.

25 Thank DvilleDoc
Sanatoga, PA
Reviewed 5 May 2004

My husband and I just returned from a week at Fox Run Resort at Lake Lure (4/24 - 5/1), and we had a great time. Before our trip, I read the reviews of Fox Run posted on this site, and I became very leery of our trip. I have to say, I worried for nothing.

We got our directions to the Welcome Center from AAA and found the resort with minimal effort. The staff at the Welcome Center was very friendly and very helpful. The map and directions they provided to the resort were excellent and very easy to follow.

Perhaps it was because we were there in the "off season", but we did not have to pay the $50 activity fee, and we still received the $15 per person discount at the Bald Mountain Golf Course.

My husband and I are beginner golfers, and the Starter at Bald Mountain took good care of us. When she noticed that we were feeling rushed (trying not to hold up other golfers behind us), she offered to let us come back in the afternoon to play the rest of the course when it was less crowded. We decided to keep playing, since we'd made other plans for the rest of the day, and so the Starter gave us 9 free holes of golf with an afternoon tee time the next day. In our opinion, this was above and beyond her duty, and we were extremely grateful. And she was right--playing in the afternoon was much more relaxing. I also recommend bringing your camera--the back nine at Bald Mountain's course is very pretty.

The unit we stayed in was clean and well-stocked with towels, linens, soap, dish detergent, and laundry detergent. The kitchen in particular could have used a face lift, but everything was clean and comfortable. Our biggest disappointment was not being able to burn anything but Duraflame logs in the fireplace. But otherwise, the unit was great. We could easily have slept 6-8 people in our unit, even though it was just my husband and me.

For the people who complained about the twisting, winding Buffalo Shoals Road, it's really not that bad if you follow the speed limit signs. It reminded my husband and me of the Road to Hana on Maui.

We also went to Chimney Rock Park, and my advice would be to try going in the afternoon. We were there as soon as the park opened, and while the view was still great, it was pretty hazy. Perhaps it would have been clearer in the afternoon? When the guides and the signs tell you that the Skyline Trail is difficult and strenuous, BELIEVE IT! It was a great hike, but my legs were shaking after coming down through Needle's Eye. Definitely try to plan at least 5 hours there if you want to see it all. The 3 hours we were there was not enough.

Food: We had some great meals during our vacation, but the absolute best meal we had was at the Point of View restaurant at the intersection of Buffalo Shoals and HWY 64/74a. The crab-stuffed mushrooms are amazing, and the Chicken Pierre and Shrimp Diane were fabulous.

Overall, we had a great time at Lake Lure, but I guess it's all about what you make of your trip. We were there to have a good time, and although we were one of the few couples under 40, we still had a great time.

39 Thank dhungarter
Reviewed 23 November 2003

The reviewer from Minnesota is all wet, in our opinion. We rented a townhouse for the third week of November, and were delighted with the accomodations as well as the scenery around the area. Of course, we Southern folks may not be as hard to please as some of the folks from "up nawth."

The only "problem" we experienced (and it was minor) was that the garbage was not picked up during our stay, and ALL the cans were full.

Thank you, Fox Run, for a great time. We love North Carolina . . . and we LIVE in a "resort" area in Arkansas, i.e. Mountain Home.

Dr. and Mrs. Charles R. Treuter

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 September 2003

September 5-11: Not a good time:I was uneasy about going to this resort as I wanted to go elsewhere but there were no vacancies in Charleston, SC. We had already deposited our time share (Marriott) and as we couldn't go to our first choice, a representative from Interval International vacation clubs really talked up Fox Run. It is really out of the way and the fact that you have to sign in off property and then go a few miles down the road to get to the villas is inconvienent, to say the least. Once on the grounds, the fun begins. Trying to find the condo on a mountain that has about 7 different complexes while watching for people and cars that are also lost and searching is not for the weak. The villa was clean and everything we needed was there so that was one plus. Unbelievable as it sounds, if you wanted to go in the pool or play mini golf, you had to pay $50 a week for the privelege of doing so;add in towel rental @75 cents per towel, plus the fact that you had to drive down the mountain to get there, and you lost your desire for a little swim real quick. Please bring as much food from your home as possible as the local grocery store is 20 miles away. And I don't mean straight miles! The roads turn and twist and many times as you are going around corners, you can look straight down to a deep gorge with no guardrails between you and the drop! It took me 2 days to get my nerve up to go it alone and drive to Chimney Rock where I was a little disappointed to find not too many local made crafts. The scenic beauty of the place is wonderful, but the extra charges and disorganization in general left us with the feeling that we would not be back there again. There are only 2 places to eat on the property and the main dining place had a wedding reception going on, so we went across the street to a walk-up and order place with a very limited menu. Point of View restaurant, about 10 miles away, is very good for dinner and on Tuesday nights they had a special, prime rib or trout for $12.95. Excellent choices. All in all, I cannot recommend Fox Run.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Lake Lure hotels

Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 31 July 2003

Fox Run was definately not what my family expected. We went the last week of June 2003. The unit was nice, big and airy although some things need to be replaced as they are quite worn. It is located far away from any grocery stores so I would suggest bringing as much as you can foodwise. There are a couple of "convenient" store, but very high priced. I needed some Pepto Bismal for an upset stomach and paid $7.00 for a tiny bottle! I think its a big rip-off also that they charge you $50/family for and "activity fee" to use the pools, etc. They will also charge you extra if your kids want to play mini golf and forget about renting a boat...very expensive! The lake was murky looking and not very inviting, my kids would rather be in the pool. Nothing is close to this resort either...we drove up to Boone and it took us about an hour. There wasn't much to do, unless you like to play golf or hang out at one of the pools. We rented movies for night time at $3 a pop and you better not return them late or they charge you a late fee! This place seems to nickel and dime you for any extras! We ended up checking out 2 days early because we had alot of rain the last night we were there and the roof was leaking onto the T.V., furniture/carpet. We moved everything and called maintenance who told us they would be out in the morning. We never saw them and called to find out when they were coming and was told they didn't know anything about it! When we went to check out, I very nicely gave the lady at the desk this information as well as informing her if we hadn't been up after midnight their T.V, ect. would have been ruined and she told me, in a rather nasty tone, I should have called the security gate! To report a leak in the roof I asked? I called maintenance just as it advised in their little info book that is always in the room. She remained to be nasty and never offered an apology or anything. It just left a very bad taste in my mouth and my family and I would never return here.

18 Thank Cassidy528
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock
Willowbrook Inn
Willowbrook Inn
#2 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Fox Run Resort? Share your experiences!