“Veranda”

The Veranda Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 26 Restaurants in Lake Lure
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Service was a bit slow. Had to ask for fresh coffee because the first cup brought out was lukewarm. We were there at 5:30 pm...it opened at 4 and there were two other diners in the restaurant when we arrived. No excuse for the slow service and cold coffee.

1  Thank pamelaritch

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We visited the Veranda for our anniversary. It is a classic. You are seated and served by folks in white shirts and ties. Good rolls are brought out with drinks. Our wine was presented in a formal manner and the wine kept on ice. Our serving team never let any glass (water, wine or coffee) go dry. Our food was very edible and came out in a timely manner. Both the trout and the chicken were lovely and there was plenty of food served.

It is notable that this restaurant is old. That's on purpose. The hotel is nearly 100 years old. It is a quirky and fun place to get a good sit down dinner, but its slower paced and yes the tables have white linen. Golf attire or business casual would seem to be about the right dress.

By the way, we did have a good view of the Lake Lure too.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We ate dinner here while staying at the Inn. There were only 2 couples besides our party in the restaurant; however, the service was very slow. It took over an hour for us to be served after ordering. The only waitress in the restaurant was pulling double duty; she was also having to be bartender at the bar next door. She did apologize profusely, saying that most of the staff was working a wedding reception elsewhere in the hotel. It is still poor to have one person cover both venues. When we did finally get our food, my order was wrong (I was given mashed potatoes when I had ordered rice) and my daughter & son-in-law later told me that their food was cold (they said that they did not say anything because, after driving for 9 hours to get there, they just wanted to eat and go to bed). My husband did love his dish (pork chop); my chicken dish was pretty good. When we ordered a bottle of wine, the waitress did not leave at the table but placed it on a table several feet away. Since service was so sporadic, we would have to get up & cross the restaurant to get our wine when we wanted refills. We did get our bottle of wine comped (I assume as an apology for the poor service; we did not complain or demand anything).

I cannot say what the service would be like in other circumstances. We attended a wedding reception in the same restaurant the next night, and the service was very good, although the food again was just OK. As this hotel is very popular as a wedding venue, I only recommend that you go elsewhere to eat if there is a wedding reception going on in the hotel (they have 4 different venues in the hotel that can handle weddings) on the same night you want to have dinner.

1  Thank Edistotiger
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My wife and I ate at the buffet on Thanksgiving Day. The cold foods and salads were good and the dressings were good. The hot foods were pretty standard fare although a few were different and really good like the Paemesan Cabbage (something I hadn.t had before!) The hot foods were hot when we were there but the meats were overcooked. It's difficult to keep meats hot without their continued cooking. It was a buffet so our wait person didn't have to do much for us except bring tea and remove used dishes. The setting is the 1927 Inn. This is NOT a modern Hilton or such. It's an elegant old hotel in the spirit and setting of the grand old hotels of a past century. I don't think it's fair to judge the restaurant by eating at a once a year buffet. I can't comment on the restaurant food or service since we only had the buffet and it had already been going on for about 4 hours when we sat down.

1  Thank NC7007
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My wife and I went here for the Thanksgiving Buffet. We were seated promptly, but the wait person responsible for beverages was otherwise occupied. She appeared for drink orders after we had served or plates. The buffet was pretty standard and the selection was as advertised. While I recognize the difficulty in maintaining heat on the serving trays, most of the food we tried was cold. The preparation was okay, but cold food that was intended to be served warm is not so appetizing. This was our first visit to the Lake Lure Inn and I doubt that we would return.

1  Thank AlowishusCPMc