“Lake Lure Inn and Spa”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Cary, North Carolina
“Lake Lure Inn and Spa”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

February 28th 2014 my wife and I arrived and spent the weekend at the Lake Lure Inn and Spa, and we give this hotel a five star rating, The hotel staff, all of them, made us feel as though we were spending the weekend with family.
Our stay there was very relaxing, and the area views are outstanding, especially in the town of Chimney Rock a stones throw from the hotel
We recommend to anyone who stays there to eat at the hotel as the food was outstanding and much better than any of the local restaurants in the area, and the Sunday brunch is to die for!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 218 just down the hall from where the late Patrick Swayze slept when filming the m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sdwr75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Fremont, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Very nostalgic of the days of old so if you are too hung up on new amenities this may not be the place for you. I read a review that said there was no internet, no views of the lake, and the only ice you could get was from a cooler. This was all untrue there was internet free to guests but cell phone reception was horrible bc u are in a valley at the top of the mountains. From my room I had a view of the lake and so did most of the rooms the only one that had a parking lot/dumpster view was the side window of one the cottages. The gift shop/snack bar had an ice machine and so did the breezeway with a couple vending machines there too. It may be an inconvenience but when you go to a hotel that was built in 1927 that is trying to stay true to its beginnings yet cater to modern times I can see it being difficult. I did find the nightly fee to be a little exorbitant and they are trying hard to keep the rooms original but their renovations/repairs are not well applied. They probably are struggling to keep afloat but the less than professional repair jobs make it look rundown. They did have some great old photos and antiques throughout the hotel. BTW my friend got a no kidding picture of a ghostly apparition that we are still analyzing and their were some spectacular views...I will warn you the Lake Lure Cafe right next to the hotel is horrible! Slow service and food is on the edge of inedible. I would take the time to travel a lil bit down the road and get better food for breakfast or midday burger at another establishment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paula F
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We live near Lake Lure and my husband booked us a one-night stay in one of the haunted rooms for my birthday. Since we were visiting in the off-season, the hotel was very quiet and we only saw a few other guests. I was really impressed by the hotel interior, the lobby and hallways are filled with antique pictures and other objects, we enjoyed wandering around looking at everything. We stayed in Room 207 because it was purportedly haunted, but we sadly did not have any ghostly experiences. The room was a little smallish (as expected in older hotels) but the bed was very comfortable and everything was clean and neat. We had a glass of wine and some excellent chocolate torte at the Moose & Goose bar located in the lobby. The hotel felt very European to me with all the antiques and decor, I loved it and would recommend to anyone interested in history or a quiet romantic evening.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Meg1230
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We came for a weekend get away. The room, facility, staff we exceptional. The breakfast was the wonderful. The omelette was the best I have ever had. The room was everything the website shows and more, especially the fire place. We stayed in the fortune cookie room. The only downside for a light sleeper is hearing the footsteps above in the kitchen, on the flip side the room has a great porch and view. Overall, one of the best places we have stayed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a beautiful inn, in a beautiful location. The staff was friendly and the Inn was beautiful. The views of Lake Lure are outstanding. I'm happy to recommend! Several very nice restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Inn are much more quaint and cozy than those in the rear motor lodge.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Jay P
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I went there with my boyfriend for a wedding in October. We came all the way from Brooklyn for my college friends wedding. The area was really nice. We aren't used to all the mountains. Wow like the roads were winding. There is a lake here but they lock it up like an army base. There was a beach also but thats locked up to. The lady at the bar said they lock everything so wedding guests don't drown. I think they should lock up the beaches in Brooklyn. We tried to rent a boat but they were only tour boats. Ones like your grandma would ride on.

The hotel was pretty bad. We stayed in this area that was like a motel. The rooms were Italian Cinder. As is my uncle could have made them. He's a mason. The rooms were cinder block. Not much charm, Inside the hotel the rooms were nicer but old.

What I can't figure is the place was pretty crowded but there really isn't any food. Don't all hotels serve food like breakfast and lunch. We own restaurants. We like to eat. The pizza place nearby we were told was't very good. On Friday we had to go into another town to a restaurant called medinos. The food was pretty good but not Brooklyn. They had a lot of the wedding people eating there. I think this is the lunch place. Angelo took me to Esmeralda Restaurant for dinner. It was quiet and romantic. I told Angelo I wanted to move our room here but he said that would be tacky. So we had a good meal like you can get in the city and then went back to the other place.

The bar at the 1927 hotel has this country girl working there. She acted like the boss. I think someone might find her funny but she didn't seem to interested in helping our group, now 8 get drinks. There were some locals like most bars. They seemed to get the attention.

The wedding was nice. Not so much the food. The bride and groom had a great time, The weekend was about them. But other than a really pretty area and one good restaurant for dinner Angelo and I spent a lot of money to feel pretty short changed. We could have gone out to the city. He got sick when we got home Sunday night

So Angelo says he'll help this place open up a restaurant that people might like as long as the owner can get him a boat to go on the lake. The fun park is out of business on the beach maybe i can help run that. No for now we'll stay in Bayridge.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the motel. If you have to go there make sure you get a room in the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angelo S
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Inn . The wedding was beautiful and everything my daughter wanted it to be. The staff and service was excellent. My daughters and I visited the Lake Lure Inn several times for a girls get a way and loved it. My younger daughter said she wanted to be married there long before she even had a boyfriend. Great experience for all of our friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and every room was beautiful and spacious
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

#1 of 3 in Chimney Rock
The Lodge on Lake Lure
The Lodge on Lake Lure
#1 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!